• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Here be (R63)unicorns...

DavidL

MB Enthusiast
Car
s203 C55, x218 CLS63

as they say find another. All the money for this but it is a nice oddity.

Def in my top three ugliest Mercs!!! They are rare for a reason!! 40 grand????........yeah right!!

This is surely rubbish
The R63 AMG was launched at the Frankfurt International Motor Show but was never officially listed for sale. It was offered on an invitation-only basis to premium AMG customers; for example, those with a CLK DTM AMG or Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren

If it wasn't listed for sale how did you order one from a normal dealership?
This R63 AMG was originally ordered from Mercedes-Benz Guildford, Surrey

From the location I would guess it's the one I used to see occasionally around Hartley Wintney.

Wonder why MB bothered with a sales brochure for a vehicle that was (allegedly) never listed and was only sold by invitation ...
Also included is an encyclopaedia collated by the previous owner of all dealer-supplied sales brochures that were available for the R-Class, the R63, and the AMG range at the time of manufacture.

I am one of the very very few who really like the R 63, but even I wouldn’t go anywhere near that asking price.

As suggested, “find me another one”, but unfortunately there aren’t my many more serious buyers than cars.

Thy said, it only takes one to make the sale.

It will probably be just as determined by how long the seller is willing to sit with it tying up resources.

I wonder how much the current owner paid for the engine rebuild by MB Bristol just over a year ago - presumably a small fortune. Also mentioned right at the end that it's had a respray ... sounds like it has been 'well used'.

I wonder how much the current owner paid for the engine rebuild by MB Bristol just over a year ago - presumably a small fortune. Also mentioned right at the end that it's had a respray ... sounds like it has been 'well used'.
It depends upon the scope of the rebuild and the discount received from the dealer.

Just the head bolts and follower buckets would probably be £4k ish, or perhaps £12k if replacing every cam and cam adjuster, but based upon experience I would say it’s somewhere in between.

Couldn't believe it when I saw the advert this morning...

Skd884 is I believe correct - this very car sold for £24k on Collecting Cars back in September. And all the engine work / respray had already been done by that point.

In 6 months they've added 9,000 miles and £16,000 to the asking price!

IMHO the relatively high mileage and respray could put off 'collectors' who might otherwise be interested. Will be interesting to see if it sells at that price, although of course we'll never know what they actually take for it!

Also remembered in case it's of use to anyone that this R63 also had its own thread here back in 2020 too:

At that point it was 116k and £35k. The eBay listing has long since gone obvs, but it was pointed out the car was running fake larger AMG wheels. Not sure if that's still the case but something to look out for I guess if you view.

Sorry as a newbie poster (but long time hanger on) I realise I ought to provide a bit more background too...

I remember the prior thread as I got an obsession with the R63 a few years ago. I think my angle was it was so bad it might actually be good, maybe. But there was also a thread from the US which went viral where some bloke rebuilt his own M156 in his R63 as the head bolts failed and he was faced with a $40k bill from Merc for a new engine. So of course he did the work himself. Which meant taking the front of the car off, the air suspension out, dropping the engine out etc etc. Took him months and months.

So when this one came up, I got initially excited. Before crashing back to earth when Mrs said she hated the interior (beige + brown mix IIRC), and the kids said they'd refuse to be taken to school in it. So we went down Sytner instead and bought a GLC they loved and I hated.

Since then I've seen R63's pop up periodically, but I've not bitten yet. If the price was right I'd get one and take the flak. But, as per KH's link above, as the lowest mileage one left (~62k miles IIRC) fetched £31k last year on Collecting Cars - where let's face it there's no shortage of money sloshing around - then to me that's the ceiling and all the others ought to be in the twenties.

I did do a lot of research on them a few years back. If anyone has any questions please ask and I'll see if I can help.

Also remembered in case it's of use to anyone that this R63 also had its own thread here back in 2020 too:

At that point it was 116k and £35k. The eBay listing has long since gone obvs, but it was pointed out the car was running fake larger AMG wheels. Not sure if that's still the case but something to look out for I guess if you view.
When they add photos to the Autotrader listing then I’ll tell you whether the wheels are the same.

Is an R63 rare because it was never actually that good/popular?

I mean, other than 6 seats what does it offer over an ML63 or even a GL63 if space/seating (7) is the main criteria?

Or if five seats are okay an E63 wagon (6.2 NA or later 5.5BT). You can convert one (S212) to a seven seater for occasional use if you’re keen also :)

I’m not overly sold on the looks of the R63 and not sure how much sense the rest of the car makes. I think the sales figures sort of agree with me there?

I agree that £40k with those miles doesn’t make sense, but it only needs one buyer…

Hmmmm..... I actually think it is something of nothing, and looks , well , neither an estate or whatever - Not for me, at all. I would take the ML55 over this anythime ( And i am not a big fan of those to be honest )

Good luck with the sale - it will be someones dream car i suppose, and that person will probably be an SL hater :cool:

1681395327148.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom