Hillman Imps / Our other cars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm curious now?

How did you get to know the original owner?

You say it has a "full 998" but that the original owner sent it away to have a 998 fitted? Am I missing something here ;^) Two 998's?

I love hearing the stories that sit behind rescued cars and their previous ownership/life.

Post away (when you have the time please) the more the merrier. This looks like it's going to be cracker.

The car when we bought it (a scrap heap) came with a folder inside with it's full history including receipts dating back to the year it was bought.

Chap that bought it got it as an 875 from the garage/factory, he then went to Hartwell straight away and got a 998 fitted so we are doing the same.

Is this not what makes a nation great? A shopping trolley for an engine test rig? Engineering at its finest. I salute you Sir.

Engine is in the car now, a few modifications to do to make things fit but should be done soon.

Target is next Friday for it's first proper run out to the borders so we need it running soon for some test runs.

Could this be a critical addition to your tool collection?
:D

Somehow (I know not how) somebody placed an M&S two wheeled plastic pull trolley in the back of the X5.

Frightened of it it bring abandoned in a stream or roadside verge, I brought it home to live with us. It now looks after my cleaning gear. A service provided at zero cost. What a gent I am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got the BMW K100 engine in and running nicely.

First test was a run from Stirling up to Perth with no incidents.

20190323_123907.jpg

Then a run down to Dumfries to meet with many of it's siblings.

20190323_124334.jpg

Glad the car is running well after all the hard work. That looks like a really neat installation - nice job!

Very interesting Mike.

One of the Chamois (1965) we got arrived with a folder full of paperwork including lots of family pictures of the car.

Included were original Hartwell receipts for changing the engine to a 998 but the 998 was long gone.

We got the car for spares but when we seen the history thought it not proper to scrap it and it is now work in progress to get back to it's former glory.

It's the maroon one here.
View attachment 76476

John is making good progress on the fabrication.
View attachment 76478

Quite pleased with the paint finish on the little Singer Chamois.

We did this in house after putting up a home made booth with lighting and extraction.

20190623_112318.jpg

20190623_112339.jpg

Not quite a test shake down but we decided to get the engine ready to test fire on the "bench" (cash & carry trolley).

View attachment 84345

Was worthwhile as engine would only fire then tick over and cut out.

Turned out to be a fuel pressure problem then we had to machine the head slightly to allow the injectors to fire in from the opposite side for optimum running.

Almost ready to make it's way into the car now.

Fastest MS trolley in the world.......:D:D:D

To be really nerdy ("as if") your Uncle's car could have been a Hillman Imp Californian, a Singer Chamois, or a Sunbeam Stiletto... All the same slope backed coupe shape.

"Californian," yet strangely not the sort of car you'd expect to see in Malibu or cruising Route 1.

Singer Chamois
mbh_62h-singer-chamois-coupe-imp12-aug2-2238.jpg

Sunbeam Stiletto

rod_218h-sunbeam-stiletto-imp12-aug5-8301.jpg

Fairly easy to tell the difference. You just look at the badge.

Thanks, Mike.

All I can remember is that it was white and looked like the one in your picture. Black interior IIRC.
I think I went in it once, and that was enough because he was one of those drivers that would move his whole upper body violently to the right to see what was behind when joining a motorway or overtaking. He used to grip the steering wheel whilst doing the twisty upper body thing and this would cause the car to swerve around. Lovely!
I seem to remember him calling it his Sports Car!

Edit: After seeing this picture, I think it was one of these. Sunbeam does keep coming to mind when I think back, though. :confused:

img_20170618_184755-jpg.74085

Last edited:
This thread has led to posts by Bruce Milllar,I so miss his contributions on this forum, he mentions Barassie Beach just to the west of Kilmarnock,he touched so many threads with is contributions and amazing knowledge.

Thanks, Mike.

All I can remember is that it was white and looked like the one in your picture. Black interior IIRC.
I think I went in it once, and that was enough because he was one of those drivers that would move his whole upper body violently to the right to see what was behind when joining a motorway or overtaking. He used to grip the steering wheel whilst doing the twisty upper body thing and this would cause the car to swerve around. Lovely!
I seem to remember him calling it his Sports Car!

Edit: After seeing this picture, I think it was one of these. Sunbeam does keep coming to mind when I think back, though. :confused:

img_20170618_184755-jpg.74085

That one's definitely a Sunbeam Stiletto.

But as I said.....his Uncle's car could have been a Hillman Imp Californian, a Singer Chamois, or a Sunbeam Stiletto... They were all the same slope backed coupe shape.

The only wayto tell the difference? You just look at the badge. Different times.

Got Mildred back indoors after she spent a bit of time outside.

This is not good for her so I had to get things sorted and various things moved around.
Good thing is if you move a little bit at a time indoors and hide it away (loft/cupboard) the other half does not notice. :)

20190824_184138.jpg

Next job is engine out for a refurb.......

Got Mildred back indoors after she spent a bit of time outside.

This is not good for her so I had to get things sorted and various things moved around.
Good thing is if you move a little bit at a time indoors and hide it away (loft/cupboard) the other half does not notice. :)

View attachment 88412

Next job is engine out for a refurb.......
Oh, but they do, Patrick they do....just because they have not given any outward sign, does not mean that you are home Scot free !!!;););) It's just not the right time to play that card....:wallbash:
Be nice to see it when you have finished it completely.:D

Oh, but they do, Patrick they do....just because they have not given any outward sign, does not mean that you are home Scot free !!!;););) It's just not the right time to play that card....:wallbash:
Be nice to see it when you have finished it completely.:D

I know what you mean, I've been playing this one close to the chest, got a brownie point today for having everything indoors back to normal.

Will post some pics when I get some work done on Mildred, not sure if this will be before E220 or after or between.

Mildred had been running poorly so took engine out and stripped to check.

Not nice, top of the liner on cylinder 4 is gone, going to need a new liner are all new liners and skimmed, another job to add to the list.

20190829_151459.jpg

Engine now completely stripped and the block, timing cover, pistons and head dropped off at a very good engineering firm that work on these engines.

Going to get new liners all round, head and block skimmed and cleaned up, should be good for many more miles after this.

Engine for Mildred coming together nicely, hoping to get it back in early November if things go to plan.

New liner being turned to suit parent liner.
IMG-20191018-WA0000.jpg

Ready for bonding in new liners
IMG-20191018-WA0003.jpg

Bonded and clamped for 24 hours to set
IMG-20191018-WA0002.jpg

Light skim on block to bring liners even
IMG-20191018-WA0001.jpg

Need bored and honed next to finish the block off.

Looking very good pmcgsmurf. Coming along nicely. Are you doing this lathe work etc. yourself, or have you handed it into a machine shop?

Stunning, coming across this thread makes me want to get my mini 850 pickup finished

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom