Hillman Imps / Our other cars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The little gold Imp that we put the BMW engine in used to look like this.

image_2807.jpg

During the lock down Jim decided to give it a makeover.

20200520_161318.jpg

20200520_161340.jpg

Looks quite good for a home garage spray job.

Nice job guys, what bmw lumps in it?

K100 from a bike.

K100 from a bike.

mint, was expecting a 1.9 lump from a 3 series compact or something. Nice one 👌🏾

Sacrilege! Must be a Coventry Climax or nothing... :eek: ;)

I don’t have an Imp, but I do have my Vovo.
This is my oldie. There’s a thing amongst petrolheads about the birth-year- car. This one is actually a smidge older than me. I’ve owned it for three years. It was “on the shelf “, but Covid has rearranged my shelving, and now it’s ready for paint!

My little 998cc Rallye twin carb was a wonderful unit..

The other Chamois linked to above is going full 998 rebuilt (new) engine.

Came out the factory as an 875 but buyer straight away sent it to Hartwell for a 998 so we are restoring it the same as the original owner had it.

Been giving Boris some tlc, good clean out inside and out, a nice new set of boots all round.

image_3477.jpg

Seats and things inside removed to get everything all cleaned up.

image_3560.jpg

Good polish all over the paint.

image_3552.jpg

Paintwork looking a lot better than it was.

image_3536.jpg

Sorting out some of the little niggles, there was a little bit of the horrible brown stuff on the front left arch so have cut this out.
Good thing is Expressed Steel Panels to a repair section for in here so will get one and sort this area out.

20200606_161924.jpg

Bit more work to do yet but the little car will be feeling a lot better now and better when we finish.

Our usual paint supplier is closed so need to look at alternates to get the pain mixed.

Been giving Boris some tlc, good clean out inside and out, a nice new set of boots all round.

View attachment 97521

Seats and things inside removed to get everything all cleaned up.

View attachment 97522

Good polish all over the paint.

View attachment 97523

Paintwork looking a lot better than it was.

View attachment 97524

Sorting out some of the little niggles, there was a little bit of the horrible brown stuff on the front left arch so have cut this out.
Good thing is Expressed Steel Panels to a repair section for in here so will get one and sort this area out.

View attachment 97525

Bit more work to do yet but the little car will be feeling a lot better now and better when we finish.

Our usual paint supplier is closed so need to look at alternates to get the pain mixed.
Is it possible to get replacement metal inserts for the part you have cut out? Or you will have to "shape" a section from a bit of sheet steel?

Is it possible to get replacement metal inserts for the part you have cut out? Or you will have to "shape" a section from a bit of sheet steel?

Here you go, this is how the repair panel looks.

IMPE2-OPT.jpg

We are not using the whole panel so have trimmed this to fit what we need, it is to go in here.

20200608_195642.jpg

Right at the top where we have cut was where the rust was but on digging in and down we found the brown stuff all the way down so had to cut this much out to get back to good metal
The inner arch section in here has now all been repaired and epoxied to seal it all up from the elements.

20200608_195650.jpg

Trimmed down new section to go in is here and ironically we still need a small repair (bootom left) section to complete onto the outer arch so we have fabricated this from an old panel we had laying around.
These have all been epoxied on the inside to protect them when they go in.

Here you go, this is how the repair panel looks.

View attachment 97626

We are not using the whole panel so have trimmed this to fit what we need, it is to go in here.

View attachment 97627

Right at the top where we have cut was where the rust was but on digging in and down we found the brown stuff all the way down so had to cut this much out to get back to good metal
The inner arch section in here has now all been repaired and epoxied to seal it all up from the elements.

View attachment 97628

Trimmed down new section to go in is here and ironically we still need a small repair (bootom left) section to complete onto the outer arch so we have fabricated this from an old panel we had laying around.
These have all been epoxied on the inside to protect them when they go in.
Thats a usefull section to have available for repairs, for sure ! But goes to show how prone they were to corrosion at that point, the fact that they had replacement panels available. Next step, with a MIG welder?

Thats a usefull section to have available for repairs, for sure ! But goes to show how prone they were to corrosion at that point, the fact that they had replacement panels available. Next step, with a MIG welder?

Yes, MIG weld in the new sections, all done now, just needing epoxied then some some rubbing, filler, rubbing and paint.

20200609_153934.jpg

After epoxy coating.

20200609_195721.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom