Home Wifi Problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks everyone. I've tried the following:

When I have a low speed over wifi, I've connected via a cable and gone back to my previous high speeds. That made me think it was a wifi problem. As I get the low speeds on my laptop, tablet, and phone, I know it's not my devices. It's also not increased usage during lockdown, because I get the high speed if I use a cable. Karl said it was probably a problem with Sky; that's what I thought, but they've sent me a new router and the problem remains the same.

I've downloaded inSSIDer; most of the channels are empty, and there are no users on my router I can't account for. I've moved the router, but that didn't do anything. I'm afraid I live in a flat, so I don't have any wire mesh handy to wrap around the router, so I haven't tried that one. Would an underwired bra work for that one? It would be a novel line to use!

All that's left is the suggestion to disconnect my security, which is getting very close to the level of my incompetence.

The problem does come and go. If I leave the router channel selector on 'auto' then sometimes it's as good as it always used to be, and sometimes abysmal. If I manually select a channel then I can usually find one which gives me a compromise of a more or less guaranteed 30 MB down and 18 MB up.

Regarding Germgh0st's recommendation of Virgin, I think I'd still have the same problem - everything is working fine up to and including the router. I can only imagine something is causing interference with the wifi signal. It seems the general concensus is that that's hard to track down.

When I have a low speed over wifi, I've connected via a cable and gone back to my previous high speeds. That made me think it was a wifi problem. As I get the low speeds on my laptop, tablet, and phone, I know it's not my devices. It's also not increased usage during lockdown, because I get the high speed if I use a cable. Karl said it was probably a problem with Sky; that's what I thought, but they've sent me a new router and the problem remains the same.

I've downloaded inSSIDer; most of the channels are empty, and there are no users on my router I can't account for. I've moved the router, but that didn't do anything. I'm afraid I live in a flat, so I don't have any wire mesh handy to wrap around the router, so I haven't tried that one. Would an underwired bra work for that one? It would be a novel line to use!

All that's left is the suggestion to disconnect my security, which is getting very close to the level of my incompetence.

The problem does come and go. If I leave the router channel selector on 'auto' then sometimes it's as good as it always used to be, and sometimes abysmal. If I manually select a channel then I can usually find one which gives me a compromise of a more or less guaranteed 30 MB down and 18 MB up.

Regarding Germgh0st's recommendation of Virgin, I think I'd still have the same problem - everything is working fine up to and including the router. I can only imagine something is causing interference with the wifi signal. It seems the general concensus is that that's hard to track down.
I suspect you have congestion in your area. If you search for Wi-fi networks do lots appear?

Check your actual "line speed" by using the router address and scroll to "Status" it will show connection speed.Screenshot (27).png

The proper way to measure your internet speed is via a wired connection directly to your modem. Since you have verified that internet speed via a direct connection is consistent with the speed stated in your plan, there must be an issue with your WiFi. As you have already replaced your WiFi router, it would at this stage suggest that the problem is not with your WiFi router but something else.

The most obvious issue would co-channel interference, typically caused by congestion due to the overcrowded use of WiFi routers in high-density housing. But this does not seem to be the case since your scan would suggest that there are lots of free unused channels.

Could one of your devices be faulty I wonder? To test this, you will have to turn off all devices using the WiFi and then turn each back on after running a WiFi speed test. If the WiFi speed test drops significantly after tuning on a specific device, you may have a faulty device.

On the other hand, turning off all devices and then turning them back on might just do the trick to re-set a device that has gone awol.

I had the same problem before. Truly, sorting wifi issue is very tough. Have you tried resetting the router again and connect a single device and check its speed?

They said that channel 1,6 and 11 are the most stable channels to choose from.

They said that channel 1,6 and 11 are the most stable channels to choose from.

1,6 and 11 are the channels that have no overlap which is why they are usually recommended. What you also want is to be on a different channel to your neighbours. A simple app can be downloaded and installed which will scan for other wifi signals and tell you which channel you should move to. Some routers will auto select the correct channel so it might be worth checking if it has that feature and is switched on.

Get WiFi Analyzer - Microsoft Store

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom