How do I get a dealer to move on price.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Walk away.

Sounds like a tarted up shed - shiny paintwork but faulty steering/suspension, mismatched tyres on a £9k car? I bet if he's offering £424 for your W202 he bought this one cheap because either no-one else wanted it or it had issues.

Plenty of SLKs about - look out for one with no fundamental issues and questionmarks over it's history, it'll probably be a better bet in the long run :thumb:

Sorry - but a steering wheel 40 degrees out shows very little regard for even the most basic of mechanical inspections - I'd be surprised if they've bothered to check anything else.

All IMHO and sorry if that sounds a little harsh :eek:

He won't move because he knows in your heart you've already bought it. Why would he?

If the car is the cheapest around, thats why your trade-in is as low. He's a business man, why give away profit for free?

Screen price, trade in price count for nothing. Cost to change is all that matters, you need to look at that like for like as that is what you will actually pay out.

All that said it sounds from your posts following similar advice that you will probably buy it anyway....Good luck with it...

Sell privately on Pistonheads or Autotrader.
Then buy private again, good deals can be found, why give good money away.

Will (post #22) has got it right.

Ask yourself what set of circumstances could realistically add up to a steering wheel 40 degrees off true.

Some cars have WALK AWAY writ large on them, and this is one.

It's been said. Something tells me that this is one to pass by.

Starting a thread means you're unsure. If you're unsure, then something deep within thinks something is not quite right. If something deep within thinks something is not quite right, then there probably is something not quite right. If there's probably something not quite right, then there is almost certainly something not quite right. If there is almost certainly something not quite right, then there's likely to be a better car for you out there somewhere. If there's a better car for your out there somewhere, then buy that one instead!!

Phew. :D

I reckon the front wishbones is fecked on the SLK at the very least but could be so much more, and probably sorted out by taking the steering wheel off and centring it for you!!

Seriously, Walk.

Ditto, walk and buy one from a reputable source, not a Peugeout shark place...

Jay from other posts and recommendations is a trusted trader and has a good pride in what he sells and his after sales.

What sort of trader presents a car with a 40degree steering misalignment...probably the sort of one that when the car breaks down avoids calls etc

Old sailing saying -- and it's so damn true.

"Better to be in port wishing you were out at sea than out at sea wishing you were in port"..

So Jim lad ....walk on bye not buy...:cool:

As above and others, your not happy with the car or the deal.

If you buy it you will regret it.

Passenger side front

sTeVe

Blatantly been run into a kerb etc at speed.

Brand new tyre on that side at the front, steering wheel 40 degrees out?

bouncer, you just have to walk from this deal and thiscar.

Your radar is quite rightly maxing off the scale on this one. You have incoming aimed directly at your wallet.
What do you have to lose by walking, not a lot me thinks.
Trust your radar and let it lock onto something else.
Good Luck and lets be careful out there. (Anyone else remember Hill Street Blues?)

It's priced at £8700 drive away. It has a new exhaust system to (aftermarket none mercedes). . . .My W202 is still on the original one.

Yes i have negatives about this car . . . . but i'm still drawn to it!

sTeVe
Walk away, if the exhaust is non-mercedes, how much more after-market bits has the car got. To be honest, I would run away.!!!!!:crazy:

+1 walk,
I once bought a car that was ok on the test drive - but after I collected it after purchase never drove in a straight line again.. unless I pumped 32psi into the right front tyre and 24psi into the left front tyre.. I got the tyres balance almost on a monthly basis.. and I did a lot of driving on the M3, J2 to J5 (every day).. looking back I'm amazed I still live!

Ok Ok I think i was blinded by the good bodywork, leather and full service history (Glasgow / Paisley dealer)
The salesman asked what i wanted so i told him i was looking at my car and £7000. . . He said " i think we are miles away" so i left it there.

I've been looking now for about 6 months, seen and driven some poor examples and listened to some tall stories. Even got told on the phone i've got a metalic black one with full leather only to be shown a blue one with cream cloth, then to be told i've got a gold one that's very nice.

I check every place i know on a daily basis, i have looked at Mercland as i like Jay's style.

I'm not looking for some monster engine nutter AMG machine or a cabrio.
I would just like something 2.0 or 1.8 with cruise, air con, leather any other toy or nice audio equipement is a bonus. Manual or Auto does not bother me at all.

This one with its Tyre,steering and exhaust just dosen't add up !!!

Thanks guys. . . . I'll keep looking.

sTeVe

Blatantly been run into a kerb etc at speed.

Brand new tyre on that side at the front, steering wheel 40 degrees out?

The clincher would be to find out the exhaust runs down the passenger side of the car......

What with the icy weather that's been...

OR. Buy a car where someone who has been working on it replaced the wheel at 40 degrees..

Bouncer, I disagree with the advice given to you to 'walk'. I say RUN!

IMO. Right decision Steve. Incoming deflected from your wallet.

Jay does do some lovely motors. Never met the guy but his rep preceeds him. Might be worth a trip down to middle England for a recce.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom