• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

How much is it worth?

Iyse

Car
Porsche Boxster
Before I start, I'd like to make this clear: I am NOT selling anything in this post, I am asking for opnions on value.

As some of you may know, about a month back I got a crazy idea into my head that I could bundle a load of money together and buy a Porsche Boxster. Well, there's only 2 weeks of University left for me this term come tomorrow, and I plan to put my car on Autotrader at the start of the last week for 3 weeks. My question to all you good people is... How much is my pride and joy worth? What price should I put on Autotrader, and how much should I expect to get? I've done all the Parker's prices and valuations on Glass's guide, but as you guys know more about Mercs than anyone else I've talked to, I trust your judgement.

My car is a 1998 (Facelift) Manual C180 Esprit. I bought it about a year and a half ago with 111000 miles on the clock. Currently, it's on 124600 (approx). It has full MB service history, and was last serviced in December. The only problem found was worn front and rear discs and pads, so they have all been replaced. The colour I'm told is Firn White, I think it's code 0143, someone correct me if I'm wrong. The interior is black/red.

Mods include:

Avantgarde Grill
SLK Evo Pedals
Sony CD/MP3 player
Upgraded Sony speakers all round
Sony Sub and Amp in the boot
Nokia Bluetooth Car Kit integrated with ignition and stereo
18" Lorinser LM4 Replicas
Custom Powerflow exhaust

All the stupid stuff (neons) went ages ago.

The car is immaculate inside and out, cleans up well. :)

Pictures:

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

So there you go, ask me any questions I've forgotten to answer, but my question to all of you is... How much should I be expecting to get for it?

Thanks. ;)

Depends - I think you have more chance of selling putting back to stock. Sell your ICE and alloys on eBay easy.

i would say £3k is about right, but being white & a manual box doesn't help

Book price is 3K, a dealer will give 4K as a part ex with no discount off the new car, I have just been down that path and my car is worth more than 3K to me. You will probably get 4.5K for it privately if any one wants a white one, not very desireable.

I forgot to say, I think externally tour car looks great! Those wheels just do it for me! Hmm, sell them separately! LOL.

Thanks for the positive comments guys. Really brightened my day. :)

I was going to put it on at £3,700, as the ABSOLUTE minimum I want for it is £3,500. Does this seem fair and reasonable?

BTW, if I can find a dealer who will give me around 4k off a Boxster they're selling by trading in my car, that'll be the route I go down.

Hello again Iyse, glad to see you've stuck with the Boxster idea - good on you! :)

Selling cars and buying replacements is always a balancing act. What I'd focus on is not necessarily what the Porsche is worth or what your C Class is worth but the difference between the two. The key thing is the cost to change. Therefore it might be worth settling on a lower trade in for your car, simply because it may struggle to sell privately.

The other thing to factor into this is the cost of advertising your car, the cost of valets, the hassle factor of letting people come round and drive the thing, and all those other annoying things you have to do whilst selling a car.

Best of luck in this venture and keep us posted!

Andy

Rose Chap said:
Hello again Iyse, glad to see you've stuck with the Boxster idea - good on you! :)

Thanks. :)

Selling cars and buying replacements is always a balancing act. What I'd focus on is not necessarily what the Porsche is worth or what your C Class is worth but the difference between the two. The key thing is the cost to change. Therefore it might be worth settling on a lower trade in for your car, simply because it may struggle to sell privately.

I know it's going to be a nightmare to sell privately, but I can't go below £3,500, otherwise I don't have enough cash overall to get my Porsche. :( I know because of the fact it's white makes it harder to sell, but I don't think the manual gearbox is such a put-off... Is it?

The other thing to factor into this is the cost of advertising your car, the cost of valets, the hassle factor of letting people come round and drive the thing, and all those other annoying things you have to do whilst selling a car.

Cost on Autotrader is £50 for 3 weeks on the site and 2 weeks in the magazine. I'm hoping to high heaven I can sell the thing in 3 weeks, although I think I might be jumping the gun slightly. £50 is a minor cost, which can be overlooked. In terms of valeting, I plan on getting the car washed properly in and out (£15) and then waxing it and finishing everythig myself. There's only 1 and a half weeks left of Uni anyway, so I have a lotta free time I've got to eat up with something. In terms of hassle, letting people come round to drive the thing, I don't see it as hassle at all. I see it as a chance to sell the car.

Let me know if I'm living in a dream world with any of my ideas...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom