How to have always on Parking Sensors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mmiah

Car
Mercedes E Class E220D (AMG Line)
Hi, I used to have a 2009 C Class with the physical parking sensors located on the front dashboard and the rear roof (the one with the lights) i liked this as it was always on, i.e. when someone crossed the road and walked past the front of car the orange lights would light up etc, similarly if i was driving and i was close to something on the side again the lights would light up.

I have since upgraded to a 2016 E220D with digital parking sensors on the screen, the problem I'm finding is this only comes on when i put the car in reverse, or if i go really low speeds and very close to an object. The issue with this is it doesn't come on / give an indication when I'm driving and something is close to the side of me (useful when exiting a school run and cars are double parked in the middle of the road), which i was used too and took for granted on the older C Class. I tried displaying the Assistance option but it doesn't work, and sensor view only comes on when really close.

Is there a way to have the parking sensor show up on part of the screen 'Always ON' rather than only coming on when in Reverse, or when already very close to something, the problem with that is it's not 'enough' warning for me, i'd prefer it to be 'ALWAYS ACTIVE/ON' if that makes sense.

I don’t think this is possible, the same happens on my W213.

Should automatically come on if driving slowly and get close enough to something. If it doesn't come on, then you're too fast, or the car doesn't think you're close enough for concern. The newer systems also factor in your movement trajectory, so merely being close to something isn't enough, you also have to be on a collision course.

If you're exiting the school run with cars parked haphazardly and kids everywhere at faster than 20mph, then you should slow down.

Edit to add, i am not sure about the speed threshold, and I don't own a 2016 e class. On my current C class, it does come on if it thinks I'm going to collide but only at slow speeds. Happens a lot at narrow drive thrus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom