• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

I say goodbye to my SL63 tomorrow

BIRMA

MB Enthusiast
Car
Lexus RCF
I'm afraid my one year attention span/interest has kicked in so I say farewell to my SL63 tomorrow.

Over the past few weeks I have tried an Arial Atom, a KTM X-Bow and a Lotus 2-11 all very good at re-arranging your internal organs but the open no windscreen design has put me off all of them.

So tomorrow I am going to try a 2012 Nissan Gtr slightly modified with 600+ BHP I tried a Gtr back in 2009 when they first came out loved the way it drove but didn't like the looks at all.

Still don't like the looks but in black it looks OK with the facelift but it is really the driving dynamics that sowed a seed way back in 2009 a bit like the SL55 did so I have to try one.

Hopefully the car will do as my daily and also be suitable for the odd track day which I want to go back to doing.

I'm sure they are great cars.

It's the costs to run one which put me off given how I drive cars these days.

I'm also not keen on the gearbox as their gearboxes aren't great - as we already know on our Juke and that is running a measly power.

With a warranty as backup - I'm sure it will be fine.

I love the looks of them actually. Real presence.

Good luck with it.

I'm sure they are great cars.

It's the costs to run one which put me off given how I drive cars these days.

I'm also not keen on the gearbox as their gearboxes aren't great - as we already know on our Juke and that is running a measly power.

With a warranty as backup - I'm sure it will be fine.

I love the looks of them actually. Real presence.

Good luck with it.

Thanks I've done a bit of homework and it looks like the 2012 models have quite significant upgrades to the suspension and gearbox over the launch model.
It will all be in the test drive.

The GTR looks great in terms of power. No top off option is a deal breaker for me. The new TTRS looks good to me.

I tracked a GTR a couple of year ago and it was truly phenomenal (and I'm not an AWD fan at all) and is only second to a Huracan out of the many cars I've driven.

I tracked a GTR a couple of year ago and it was truly phenomenal (and I'm not an AWD fan at all) and is only second to a Huracan out of the many cars I've driven.

I agree on the track days I've been to every Gtr I've seen there has impressed me. Having said that so have the other cars I've tried but the Nissan is comfortable and for me getting in and out is very easy compared to the others.
It'll all be down to the test drive though.

V6 Exige.

As a long term Lotus man i.e. my dad bought me the London Motorshow Roman Purple Europa in about 1973 and have had many Lotus cars since.
I looked at the 350 Exige and those stupid bloody cills prevent decent access and egress you can get in the track orientated 2-11 easier that the Exige believe me I tried.

Good choice :) - Lived with the GTR for two years. Now after owning two AMG's, I'm also returning back to the GTR. The running costs are fine. If you use places like Litchfields or similar independent places. I found the running costs of the c63 more expensive than the GTR lol.

Good choice :) - Lived with the GTR for two years. Now after owning two AMG's, I'm also returning back to the GTR. The running costs are fine. If you use places like Litchfields or similar independent places. I found the running costs of the c63 more expensive than the GTR lol.

I'm trying out a 2012 model this afternoon with all the suspension tweaks etc.
Looking forward to it because the last one I drove was a 2009.

I hope you've remapped that Phaeton V10 diesel of yours? The torque is unbelievable when remapped!

So is the soot - it makes the Buncefield fire look like a disposable barbeque :D

When I first got the Phaeton it was on my list, but the brakes were my main concern so I had some Tarox bespoke discs and pads all round fitted what a difference.
Still not convinced about the AMD re-map though as the car has plenty of oomph at 70 should you wish to, these days I'm thinking of spending the money upgrading the speakers.

No I didn't, having had a long succession of idiots, tyre kickers and a couple just out for a ride in a nice ride in an AMG I decided that the guy who phoned and said he would buy it straight away for what I was asking (less the MB warranty cost) turned out to be the eventual buyer.
If I had wanted a very nice BMW M3 V8 I could have sold it the day it was advertised but I didn't want another car of that sort.
The head bolt issue did dampen my enthusiasm for the car, although mine never showed any sign of a problem and the water level never changed I felt I had a Sword of Damaclees over my head all of the time.
Plus I want to buy a track day car.

Cheers, didn't know about the head issue until MB told me. Mine has the black covers so better apparently.

Black rocker covers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom