I shall raise a glass (or two) at 23:16 tonight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Satch

MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 E320Cdi Avantgarde Estate & Toyota Land Cruiser
Along with others of course.

Why? Well those of you with an interest in history might care to dwell upon the fact that at 23:16 BST on 6th June 1944, British troops landed by glider at Pegasus Bridge, which marked to the actual start of the battle for Europe.

And before anybody asks no I was not there but my Uncle Jim was and tonight I am taking him to what is always a very moving reunion with some of his now very few surviving mates.

Good on your uncle Jim.
Buy him a pint from me:rock:

My grandad used to have reunions (Navy), but he has now got alzheimers and can't remember a lot.
His old ship was in Chatham dockyard a few years back and he went to see it.
When he told them he served on it during the war, he was treated like royalty.

Why? Well those of you with an interest in history might care to dwell upon the fact that at 23:16 BST on 6th June 1944, British troops landed by glider at Pegasus Bridge, which marked to the actual start of the battle for Europe.

Hate to say this ... but I think you're a day late! The main seaborne landings started at 06:30 on 6th of June. The glider assault on Pegasus bridge took place the night before (5th/6th June).

Been to the bridge myself. There's a good museum and cafe and the whole area is brimming with spine tingling British history.

one can only shudder with the thought of what would be the reaction of the current crop of youth were a similar regime to threaten us.

Thanks should always go to those that answered the call then, to give us the freedoms we enjoy.

Good on your uncle Jim.
Buy him a pint from me:rock:

My grandad used to have reunions (Navy), but he has now got alzheimers and can't remember a lot.
His old ship was in Chatham dockyard a few years back and he went to see it.
When he told them he served on it during the war, he was treated like royalty.
Is that the C&A Destroyer Cavalier?

It's nice we remember our history and respect to one and all.

regards
John

As the old bumper sticker goes

"If you can read this - thank a teacher, if you can read it in English - thank a soldier"

I have been to Pegasus Bridge and all the landing sites very very mooving. Pegasus bridge marked so many mile stones, First landing, First liberated Building, First Libirated people ( the daughter of still runs the cafe Mml Gaundre I think) and sadley first casualty (Dan Brotheridge I think), of so many brave men and women who gave everything for us.

Lets never forget.

If it hadnt been for those who gave so much we would be speaking German and driving British cars:eek:

How grateful I am that we speak English and drive German cars.

Hi,
My late grandfather was a Normandy veteran (died 2004 aged 95) he was a line Sargeant in the Royal Signals, front line average life expectancy was 7 minutes for the running of communication lines.
He was in the first British unit to enter Bergen Belsen concentration camp which he never spoke about and I only found out after his death by looking at his military records and talking to his old comrades, how he could ever sleep again after watching his friends and comrades dying alongside him witnessing the atrocities in that camp is a miracle and shows a quality that the generations since have forgotten. (including me)
I for one will be remembering the veterans and fallen soldiers of the Normandy Campaign on this the 64th anniversary.
Their sacrifice MUST NEVER be forgotten.

Hi,
My late grandfather was a Normandy veteran (died 2004 aged 95) he was a line Sargeant in the Royal Signals, front line average life expectancy was 7 minutes for the running of communication lines.
He was in the first British unit to enter Bergen Belsen concentration camp which he never spoke about and I only found out after his death by looking at his military records and talking to his old comrades, how he could ever sleep again after watching his friends and comrades dying alongside him witnessing the atrocities in that camp is a miracle and shows a quality that the generations since have forgotten. (including me)
I for one will be remembering the veterans and fallen soldiers of the Normandy Campaign on this the 64th anniversary.

Totaly agree

Hi,

I totally agree too..

tell you uncle jim we appreciate him and his mates.
some of my ancestors are from the netherlands and we still remember the saviours from brittania at arnhem

tell him thank you from me. Have a bonza evening

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom