• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

I survived a Keyless relay theft attempt...

Will

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
GL63 AMG / SL500 / Porsche 911
In the early hours of this morning, whilst my wife was feeding our baby, having been up to one of the other kids, bedroom felt a little warm and opened one of the windows a little wider.

A while later, as we were all trying to get back off to sleep, I briefly heard what sounded like music being played from a phone somewhere outside (possibly further down our road). It stopped and thought little more of it, assuming it was someone random/kids possibly walking past on their phone etc.

A minute or two later, I noticed our security lighting had come on and off, then back on again. I knew pretty much that someone was outside and went to take a look as to what it might be.

Saw a guy outside next to our GL and in a split second I knew what was happening. Hood up, bandana/scarf over his face, and he was trying the driver’s door handle and then I saw a quick flash of some LEDs. As he went to try the rear door I was already calling 999. Passed information on as I was chucking some clothes on and trainers. Guy must have got spooked and perhaps knew I’d seen him, as well as his failed attempt and he started to walk off down the road.

Wife was awake and now knew what was going on. She had seen a second guy with a backpack on backwards (around his waist) who had been trying to pull signal from close to the house/front door etc.

I won’t go into specifics, but suffice to say they weren’t getting this one, this time. I have almost been waiting for this to happen. And have taken plenty of reasonable precautions.

The operator on the 999 call kept repeating to me *not* to go outside, not to follow them, to keep the door locked etc. They said four cars were on their way and would be looking for them. I was already dressed and was 50:50 on whether to try and at least catch a glimpse of where they headed (after they were out of sight from the house) what car they got into/car waiting etc. As much as I hate to say it, I think on reflection I probably did the right thing not going after them. I feel a bit annoyed that they will probably not be caught though. But as always, your safety and that of your family is always far more important than any car. They weren’t getting the car anyways, and they had something on me - they know where I live...

A few key points:

1) They did not arrive in a car. They must have had a car parked a road or two away or were quite likely dropped off by a third person. I reckon they did this (arrived on foot) a) to avoid their vehicle being picked up on CCTV and b) perhaps in an attempt to be discreet, arriving silently.
2) The music I heard. Seems a bit stupid to have music playing, and considering these looked like professional, organised thieves who operated otherwise in total silence I reckon it was a ring tone on one of their phones or they accidentally pressed something on one of their phones. I reckon it could have been a third person who dropped the two off and they might have been checking on them to see if they were okay/had got the target etc. Just a thought.
3) They came for the car. This was no opportunistic theft. They had all the gear with them. I guess there’s a small chance they passed it shortly before the attempt but I reckon it’s most likely they knew what they wanted. I reckon they wouldn’t have wanted to be driving around casually at night with this sort of gear on them during the early hours any more than necessary. I am confident they are part of an organised crime gang/group, stealing heavy metal like this to order (or there abouts). High value prestige/sports/luxury cars, you would have to have everything arranged to move this on if you took it.

I have taken further precautions but I also accept that I have done as much as I can. Whether or not they will return for a further attempt I just cannot say. Likewise another separate attempt could be made by someone else.

I *STRONGLY* advise you research keyless relay theft. If you have a car that could be affected, make sure to take precautions you are comfortable with. Had I not, my car would already be gone.

I am obviously pleased it hasn’t, no one has been hurt, car is fine etc.

I think it’s quite unique in my situation that I actually saw the attempted theft in person with my own eyes. Most people would only ever know that they have been subject to a keyless theft attempt if their car had been taken. A failed attempt leaves no sign of entry, no damage to the car. Most people would just get in and drive off and be none the wiser. These thieves tend to operate in residential areas in the middle of the night hence most people are asleep. I was lucky to be awake at the time.

We see keyless theft mentioned on these forums, usually when it’s too late. At best you get a grainy video clip as the car is being taken. Do what you can to protect your property! Prevention is key.

I sometimes wonder wether a simple disklok and a security bollard may be enough to put these people off

PITA to remove each morning/every time you go out but it’s one or two more steps extra in the process of getting the car away, plus they’d make a hell of a racket trying to grind off a disklok or bollard

Good to hear you and your family are unhurt by it in the physical sense Will, but not a nice experience by any stretch of the imagination on an emotional or phycological sense.

All credit to you for how you dealt with it. Hope you and the family can put this behind you soon.

Reactions: 219
If the police take this seriously... they will view CCTV footage from cameras in your neighbourhood and will be able to trace some of their root and their getaway car (though it may have been stolen/cloned or had false plates).

If the police take this seriously... they will view CCTV footage from cameras in your neighbourhood and will be able to trace some of their root and their getaway car (though it may have been stolen/cloned or had false plates).
Bet they won’t.

I have some footage of scumsters rummaging through my car and they weren’t in the least bit interested in viewing it.

Sad , worrying times indeed . It was probably for the best that you didn`t make it outside to confront them.

Seems that now-a-days a visual deterrent is the way forward , a disc lock / crook lock / security post / parking a lesser car to block the target vehicle in is probably the most effective way to move them on to another "victim".

K

Thank the lord you didn’t go outside.
DO NOT GO OUTSIDE NO MATTER WHAT !
These guys are stealing to order. A number of heavy metal up our way has disappeared. My neighbour put a metal post up and religiously raises it behind his DB11 every night. I rely on pressing the lock button twice and jamming in both keyless cars with the Golf hoping having to move it to get the others deters them. The SQ7 would probably just push the Golf out the way though ....
just stay safe, we can replace the bloody cars.

You did the right thing. They could easily come back if you’d pissed them off, hurt them, or chased em.

Hope everyone turns off the bloody keyless entry! How convenient do things have to be?

Buy some Neos Smartcam’s (or something posher) and get a retractable bollard :)

I
I sometimes wonder wether a simple disklok and a security bollard may be enough to put these people off

PITA to remove each morning/every time you go out but it’s one or two more steps extra in the process of getting the car away, plus they’d make a hell of a racket trying to grind off a disklok or bollard
I agree. I doubt they are equipped with cordless disc cutters theses day's as there are so many easier ways to take a modern car.

Bit of a narrow escape there. You did the right thing in not attempting to tackle them- you really don't know who you are confronting in todays climate. Keyless Go keys should be made so that the battery can be slipped out easily in a second or two so that at least the scumbags can't get a signal. Wouldn't prevent the home invasion type theft though which is incredibly scary, albeit apparently rare. Or alternatively KG should be discontinued, even though it's lazy handy sometimes. Perhaps replacing the GL63 and AMG badges with a 1.2d badge might put thieves off?

I'll get flamed for this - I knew I guy who put 9mm bullets into both people trying to steal his BMW. Very satisfying outcome - lots of pain and prison for the scum.

Wise not to go after them - unlike my wife who (years ago), when arriving home realised there were burglars in the house, grabbed a hammer (our garage was joined to the house) and went into the house --- luckily they had been there for several hours, had already ransacked the house and were (judging from the booze they drank) pretty drunk, had an alternative way out of the house and decided to run away.

OP v sorry for you to have to experience that.
Out of curiosity, when the cops said they are on their way, did they actually arrive and how quickly?
The other good thing about a GL63 is it isnt the easiest car to drive fast, if they had managed to take it and the cops were on their tail, they probably wouldnt have got away in that beast, it isnt an audi

+1 autowatch ghost

Sorry to read this, Will. How unsettling, but glad you're all ok. Let's hope the lowlife don't come back.

Very upsetting but good that you kept calm and I'd echo the sentiments of others about not going outside.

That being said it would be so easy for any of us in the heat of the moment with adrenaline flowing to jump in before thinking.
Important for us all to remember that cars can be replaced but we never know what these scum may be carrying and how much importance they place on family and life.

I think Will’s post was the only one on this forum I read with eyes and mouth wide open. I can just imagine how hard it must have had been not jumping out of the doors with a bat or a bar and charging on scums. Very wise not engaging and calling a cops.
As already said, rebadging to CDI could be a wise move.

The 999 call lasted around seven minutes unbelievably, but some of that was my wife speaking to them describing the second guy with the backpack etc. I saw two unmarked cars sweeping our area/road very shortly after the call ended so they were probably looking where I saw them walking off towards first and then worked back closer to my road. I’m sure I remember the operator saying they were with us now part way through the call so around five or seven minutes at a guess. Not a bad response time in all honesty but I just knew they would be long gone by the time the police arrived. If the thieves were going to have been successful (they weren’t) of course they and the car would be long gone. A few minutes later a marked car turned up, two lady coppers came to talk to us. Both very pleasant but in all honesty about as much use as a chocolate teapot. I don’t think they were particularly clued up on the whole keyless relay theft thing and we were talking suggestions etc and they didn’t really seem to get it. The car was secure, the thieves were unsuccessful. Didn’t seem interested in following up with anything (eg SOCO). I appreciate they were probably wearing gloves but you never know. One of the lady coppers then proceeded to try the door handles anyway...

Not an expert but I wondered about any cell site analysis type data. I’m pretty sure there was a mobile phone on one of them at least and potentially a call was made/received and I could even give a pretty precise time (within the nearest five minutes). Not many calls would have been made at this time in the early hours of the morning in this location. I guess the police are very busy/short of resources and don’t see it being worth investigating, especially as nothing was taken.

Overall I was satisfied with the operator and the initial response but I reckon they won’t take any further action now. I can’t remember how the coppers worded it - ‘vehicle interference’ or something like an ‘attempt’ so I am not convinced they’re even going to follow it up or record it as a crime.

This all took place a little later than usual I reckon. It was around 5.20 in the morning. A bit risky as you see quite a few people out and about even at say 6am. Maybe they had been unsuccessful elsewhere earlier that night?

For certain, a disklok is a pretty sound visual deterrent. As is protecting the electronic side of things. But it made me think - all of you guys with keyless go cars, you won’t even know if you have been subject to an attempt like this, unless you’re awake and watching outside all night or are alerted by other security means.

Whatever you have fitted and whatever you have done with your keys, it doesn’t mean they will know that - they see a car they want and will try and take it. A disklok is a great visual deterrent, if a bit of a PITA for daily use. Of course with a keyless theft attempt, if the car is there in the morning, most people will never know and just get in and drive off as usual. The odds of me having witnessed this attempt have to be pretty unique.

Appreciate it’s not excellent quality video, but wife says the guy she saw with the backpack on was a dead ringer for the one in the Tesla theft video from last month:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I appreciate it’s in no way guaranteed to be them but it’s certainly a possibility too. Bag, MO etc looked identical and she says he was rapidly packing it away and zipping up as he left (I guess he has antenna wires in each hand and the bag gives him two hands free so the device can stay put)

These are not amateurs by any means. I have seen other keyless relay theft videos and they just have a small box they wave around by the house. The Tesla theft was around 20ish miles away and only a few weeks ago so there is certainly a possibility it was the same gang IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom