I survived a Keyless relay theft attempt...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That makes pretty sobering reading Will. Well done for resisiting the temptaion to confront them or even show your face.
Luckily it was a failed attempt but be ready for another visit. You can only take so many precautions and if they fail, well thats what insurance is for. Also worth checking if Gap insurance might be required.
Don't expect too much from the police. Even when evidence is presented, more often than not, no further action is taken unless a certain conviction is possible.
Police cuts again, but I believe this has been the case for a long time. The bad guys mustn't be allowed to win.

Much as I'd love to use one, you may end up with a "Tony Martin" situation.
And if you miss, they know where you live.
Hopefully peppering someone with buckshot would be painful but non lethal. Even a warning shot fired in the air from an upstairs window might be enough to scare them off .

And hopefully would be car thieves would decide the house where there’s an angry man with a gun is one best avoided , and they’ll choose an easier target next time .

Hopefully peppering someone with buckshot would be painful but non lethal. Even a warning shot fired in the air from an upstairs window might be enough to scare them off .

And hopefully would be car thieves would decide the house where there’s an angry man with a gun is one best avoided , and they’ll choose an easier target next time .
Do you have a shotgun beside your bed?

Or return with the intention of leaving with your weapon(s). With a knife at your wife's throat, you wont be able to hand the cabinet key across fast enough....

Not an expert but I wondered about any cell site analysis type data. I’m pretty sure there was a mobile phone on one of them at least and potentially a call was made/received and I could even give a pretty precise time (within the nearest five minutes). Not many calls would have been made at this time in the early hours of the morning in this location. I guess the police are very busy/short of resources and don’t see it being worth investigating, especially as nothing was taken.

This has been on my mind for some time now. A crime committed at a particular locus and time - and then trawl for all phones present in the area at the time and whittle them down to a likely suspect then search for evidence. Is it viable? Is this going to be the new policing (something has to follow the ''not enough resources'' mantra that is surely softening the ground for something)? Isn't this how they caught the looters in the riots earlier this decade?

The sad thing is, I think that the only way they will be caught is if they take a car and somehow it gets picked up immediately on ANPR or via tracker.

Even five minutes would be enough to take a car a fair distance away and swap for cloned/false plates though or perhaps a little longer to locate and maybe disable/jam a tracker if they know what they’re doing?

I wondered also about checking for vehicles on any nearby CCTV (there is only a couple of ways/roads they could have made off - depends on how closely they were dropped off or vehicle was waiting). Even if the quality wouldn’t be good enough on residential systems in darkness you could probably work out what type of car it is they got into and pick it up as they went through the town/main roads etc.

But the cell site analysis thing. I wouldn’t have thought it a bad idea to spend a little time/resources checking that. This is after all likely to be the work of a multi-million pound crime gang and by no means did this look like their first attempt IMHO.

Reactions: 219
Shocking to read but glad the outcome was (somewhat) positive!

With everything you’ve described I’d say basics might be best, if cumbersome - Diskloks, bollard.

One I looked into many years ago was proximity sensors. If you’re in a private driveway rather than the street they may be worth it (and chase random cats away too lol).

Or return with the intention of leaving with your weapon(s). With a knife at your wife's throat, you wont be able to hand the cabinet key across fast enough....
That depends on one’s relationship; some might tell them to go ahead then shoot them anyway , besides it would take less time to get a gun out of the cabinet than it would take them to break in , so easy to be ready for them .

I have an Section-1 FAC and been shooting since I was 14 (many moons ago..).

There's an old saying among law enforcement officers in the US: "the best way to get killed is to have a gun".

I would never consider brandishing a gun in a violent situation. Sounds odd, I know. But I do believe that at least some of the FAC holders on here will agree with me.

For those who feel empowered by carrying a weapon, read what Massad Ayoob (American self-defense and firearms instructor) has to say on the subject.

Shocking to read but glad the outcome was (somewhat) positive!

With everything you’ve described I’d say basics might be best, if cumbersome - Diskloks, bollard.

One I looked into many years ago was proximity sensors. If you’re in a private driveway rather than the street they may be worth it (and chase random cats away too lol).
Even PIR activated lighting can easily be arranged to simultaneously trigger an audible alarm inside the house ; also easy if your garden/drive has one access through a gate to have a beam which , if interrupted, would trigger an alarm indoors , this one has the advantage of being high enough off the ground only to be triggered by humans , thus avoiding false alarms by cats , foxes etc . Lots of easy ways to alert you of intruders , giving you the chance to do something about it .

Since these people seem to go pretty close to your front door in an attempt to pick up a signal , having a hidden nozzle which would spray indelible dye onto their faces could be useful to identify perps . Smart water would be even better , but few will have access to that .

Probably the cheapest and most effective deterrent is PIR-activated flood lights.

Thieves hate them.

It's not a substitute for locks, alarms, CCTV etc obviously, but on balance it's the most effective system pet Pound that money can buy.

My advice is to fit one before doing anything else.

And mount it high and out-of-reach.

...and yes it will be triggered by a passing cat or fox, but consider it a 'system test' :)

Since these people seem to go pretty close to your front door in an attempt to pick up a signal , having a hidden nozzle which would spray indelible dye onto their faces could be useful to identify perps . .

Righto.

I have an Section-1 FAC and been shooting since I was 14 (many moons ago..).

There's an old saying among law enforcement officers in the US: "the best way to get killed is to have a gun".

I would never consider brandishing a gun in a violent situation. Sounds odd, I know. But I do believe that at least some of the FAC holders on here will agree with me.

For those who feel empowered by carrying a weapon, read what Massad Ayoob (American self-defense and firearms instructor) has to say on the subject.
It’s certainly a sure fire way to lose your certificate; while I wouldn’t be the one to start something, and I certainly wouldn’t do so over a mere car , if it was a direct threat to my family , and I had the means at hand , I would certainly consider it as an option for self defence .

I’ll add that I don’t have any firearms in my house , nor would I want them . My dad had guns in the house when he was alive , disposed of long before he passed , but it isn’t something that ever interested me .

...and yes it will be triggered by a passing cat or fox, but consider it a 'system test' :)
The PIR , as I envisage it , would only be an intruder alert ; any spraying of dye would be done manually , when the moment was right .

The PIR , as I envisage it , would only be an intruder alert ; any spraying of dye would be done manually , when the moment was right .
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I did mean proximity alarms on the car itself :oops: lol but to be fair depending on your drive and setup and you guys have said - rigged to the house system has double benefits of home and vehicle coverage I guess. Probably a whole lot cheaper too!

It's funny how many people are against faraday pouches for keys, that you keep in the house and take the keys out before you leave in the morning and return the keys to the pouch when you get home. On a recent thread there were all sorts of arguments against me that it takes extra time and hassle etc., now everyone's talking about steering locks and bollards on your driveway!!
The simplest and cheapest thing is to get a pouch to put your keys in (if you want to make use of keyless go that is, otherwise just double click every time).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom