• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Icarsoft mbii to scan a potential purchase

DavidL

MB Enthusiast
Car
s203 C55, x218 CLS63
Just a quick query. I've used my MBII for individual issues using the Benz section and looking for car model and then the module that corresponds to whatever isn't working.
Now I'm going to look at an unknown car to me and if I use that section there are likely to be 30+ modules. Do I have to go through each one individually to check for fault codes or can I use the OBDii section on the first diagnose screen to just read whatever codes there are?
I don't want to be there for ever doing each bit individually so I assume there is a section to just run the codes?
Thanks

Carly for Mercedes has an option to scan all modules and then produce one report.

I didn't see such an option on the iCarsoft MB v2.0 that I had at the time.

The icarsoft CR Max has an scan option that shows which modules have faults, didn't realise the MBIi didn't do that. That's bad. The £55 Autel Ap2000 even has it.

If you use the OBD2 option as you mention, you cannot chose the module to query. OBD protocol works differently and issues a single, functional addresses request to read codes. Only OBD modules will respond, so engine, trans and maybe some dosing control/SCR.

The icarsoft CR Max has an scan option that shows which modules have faults, didn't realise the MBIi didn't do that. That's bad. The £55 Autel Ap2000 even has it.

As I said, I did not see this option on my MB v2.0, however it may have been added by a later software update, I don't know.

Ah, I'm surprised about that. Clearly I'm not fully aware of the terminology and what does what. I suppose doing each module separately wouldn't take that much time but I gather if there really is an issue the module may not appear at all. As an amateur I may not realise or even notice it's missing. Anyway thanks for the replies.

Ah, I'm surprised about that. Clearly I'm not fully aware of the terminology and what does what. I suppose doing each module separately wouldn't take that much time but I gather if there really is an issue the module may not appear at all. As an amateur I may not realise or even notice it's missing. Anyway thanks for the replies.
A full scan will only take a couple of minutes or less.

You can then look at any module reporting a fault in more detail, voltages, pressures etc.

Just a quick query. I've used my MBII for individual issues using the Benz section and looking for car model and then the module that corresponds to whatever isn't working.
Now I'm going to look at an unknown car to me and if I use that section there are likely to be 30+ modules. Do I have to go through each one individually to check for fault codes or can I use the OBDii section on the first diagnose screen to just read whatever codes there are?
I don't want to be there for ever doing each bit individually so I assume there is a section to just run the codes?
Thanks
You use the Benz section but do an automatic scan rather than manual. You then step through each module to check for codes. A bit cumbersome….

Will the seller allow an unknown viewer plug his machine in?
There is the obvious risk of the 'a machine' corrupting the car and viewer trying to reduce the price.
Not all sellers are aware of the iCarsoft.

You are correct, if a module was offline for whatever reason it would not appear in the scan responses on icarsoft.
I am not aware of any module that works in isolation, so the other modules that would expect to communicate with said missing module would have a fault to say something like, message not received from module XYZ.

If you are worried that a seller may be trying to hide something, using the OBD2 mode there should be PID that reports distance since codes were last cleared.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom