• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

If W124 Overvoltage protection relay makes rattling sound = no good?

JensenHealey

Car
1993 300TE wagon
Hello all:
I am not sure if this should go here in the Electronics forum or the Engine forum. I have a 1993 300TE with the 3.2L engine and the ABS light is on constantly. I have pulled the overvoltage protection relay out of it's socket next to the battery and when I shake it, I can hear a rattling sound inside the relay. After doing some research I found a single statement on another Mercedes-Benz forum that if the OVP relay rattles like this it is no good and should be replaced. Can anyone here confirm that? I am guessing this is true since I have never seen heard of a functional relay with loose parts inside.

Thanks
--
Steve

Sounds like the common issue with these of dry solder joints that have broken off and are rattling about. You can have fun tin opening it and resolder all the terminations but £60 will get you a new one and since it's the brakes.......

I did open the relay case up and it turned out the rattling sound was a piece of plastic insulation that was loose inside. The relay has tested fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom