In-between watch strap links O.o

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MancMike

Gents, not sure what responses I can really expect apart from the obvious, put up with it, or get a new strap, but I know there's a lot of watch fans here, so I'm sure I'll learn something!

I've bought a watch strap for my Apple Watch 3, a metal links type. I've removed links to make it fit (I'm a software dev, not a bricklayer), but currently it's too loose. If I remove another link, it's then too tight.

I have noticed since wearing the watch it's gotten slightly looser (never previously worn watches), so it seems my wrist has slimmed a bit in response to the watch, like a ring on a finger.

Any suggestions or advice, or is it just new strap time?

Omega did half links for the Planet Ocean so I would imagine other manufacturers do too.

I tend to use it in summer and remove it in winter, or if visiting cold countries. Poor liver function can cause fluid retention and associated swelling that will affect fit too...

You're not the only one who is a little fussy about how a watch fits - they need to be comfortable otherwise you tend not to wear them.

Thanks for the suggestions. I never thought of either!

It’s not an expensive strap. The clasp doesn’t have any other positions.

It’s a shame as I really like the look of it. It makes the watch far nicer looking than with the rubber strap it came with.

Being too tight makes my veins bulge in my hand so obviously not an option. Being too loose is annoying as it moves around a bit and the haptic feedback “knocking” of the watch rattles the strap as it’s not under tension.

I’m going to be changing my diet as of tomorrow and maybe that’ll help. I don’t tend to gain weight though so I don’t have much body fat to lose.

Here’s a couple pics...

Metal straps on watches with me sometimes feel loose, usually when I am cold and the watch slides down the wrist to my hand, annoying, but with a little sweat after about half an hour or so it fits ok. Unlike leather, nato or rubber straps, there is no flexibility in metal straps. A more expensive strap may have a little more adjustment on the clasp. Good luck.

I wear/own many watches and every single one of them feels "different" when I first put it on in the morning. As the day progresses they become unnoticeable (as they should). Some I never really get just right. I do not like a watch to be tight but I do like the face to sit in the middle of my wrist and not rotate around it. There is (I fear) no real solution apart from wearing them. They will stretch to your wrist size if worn slightly tight (not tight enough to make you feel really uncomfortable) if worn loose they will always remain loose. You can potter around with clasps and other fittings. But that is it. Time and wear will allow them and you to settle. It is a bit like new shoes, never just right out the box they suddenly work without you noticing.

Not an answer to the OP but maybe of help to some... Christopher Ward metal bracelets incorporate a little catch that adjusts the strap length by a couple of millimetres - I find this feature very handy when travelling abroad to hotter climates.

Not an answer to the OP but maybe of help to some... Christopher Ward metal bracelets incorporate a little catch that adjusts the strap length by a couple of millimetres - I find this feature very handy when travelling abroad to hotter climates.

Is that a wetsuit expander?

If you have not worn a watch regularly before then maybe it just feels too loose.

Can the watch spin freely around fully on your wrist?

Problem is....as your body temperature changes from cool to warm, your wrist will expand and contract slightly.....so unless you can find a strap with for instance a wetsuit expander to easily adjust, there isn`t much you can do. I always have my watches looser as opposed to too tight.

Problem is....as your body temperature changes from cool to warm, your wrist will expand and contract slightly.....so unless you can find a strap with for instance a wetsuit expander to easily adjust, there isn`t much you can do. I always have my watches looser as opposed to too tight.

Me too, especially with metal bracelets.

Having wrists like Garth make this a little difficult.

It’s a shame as I really like the look of it. It makes the watch far nicer looking than with the rubber strap it came with.

Being too tight makes my veins bulge in my hand so obviously not an option. Being too loose is annoying as it moves around a bit and the haptic feedback “knocking” of the watch rattles the strap as it’s not under tension.

I’m going to be changing my diet as of tomorrow and maybe that’ll help. I don’t tend to gain weight though so I don’t have much body fat to lose.

Here’s a couple pics...

Put the extra link back in and wear it where it's supposed to be worn. It's a wrist watch not a hand watch :)

Omega did half links for the Planet Ocean so I would imagine other manufacturers do too.

I tend to use it in summer and remove it in winter, or if visiting cold countries. Poor liver function can cause fluid retention and associated swelling that will affect fit too...

You're not the only one who is a little fussy about how a watch fits - they need to be comfortable otherwise you tend not to wear them.

Rolex now do a quick adjust half link that flips in or out as needed (summer or winter) - A nice improvement on the older metal straps although, they are easy enough to adjust anyway.

Here’s a couple pics...

Mike

The ‘milanese’ loop straps are excellent as they are ‘continuous’ and fit exactly to your wrist... they are ‘infinitely adjustable’

Here’s the apple one which is quite expensive but there are aftermarket alternatives which are much cheaper

42mm Milanese Loop

Abs

Is that a wetsuit expander?

No - it's something that I haven't seen before - it is a hidden mechanism that allows a few millimetres adjustment in tiny steps.

The bracelet does not in fact have a wetsuit expander - even though the C60 watches are suitable for depths to 600m

Hi, all.

Thanks a lot for the advice. For now I’ve just been wearing it about 1cm further up my arm, which gets rid of the slack, but it’s still a bit rattley when the watch’s haptic feedback knocks.

I might try a Milanese type and/or just a strap of higher quality, with the fine adjustments you speak of.

Hi, all.

Thanks a lot for the advice. For now I’ve just been wearing it about 1cm further up my arm, which gets rid of the slack, but it’s still a bit rattley when the watch’s haptic feedback knocks.

I might try a Milanese type and/or just a strap of higher quality, with the fine adjustments you speak of.

Try the Milanese loop Mike, you won’t go back :thumb:

I was considering one on amazon before I got this one, but a few complained about the magnet slipping a bit. Overall it was highly rated though so might order one.

I went with this type because I thought it looked double manly.

There are some stainless steel ones but they’re expensive.

I’d have to buy one of the cheaper types first as a proof of concept to see if I like the look and fit.

I’m no longer between links with my current strap. I planned on dieting in the new year and got a great head start as I was struck down with the worst flu I’ve ever had the last week, and didn’t eat a thing in 4 days.

I removed a link and it fits perfectly snug. So I guess I snatched some victory from the jaws of defeat!

The current strap still has to go. The clasp really lets it down. It rattles when I’m driving, and when the watch taps!

Feel like I’ve learned quite a bit about watch straps so cheers all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom