in the market for a ramp

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IFFY100

Car
Cls 350 cdi 2010 grand edition
Looking for auto ramps and have pretty much narrowed it down to quickjacks with extensions. However came across this Eureka Fabrications any ideas?

This system assumes the car can be driven onto the ramp(s) , I think ? . The cost of the steel alone will be decent money , assuming you are doing all the cutting/painting and welding yourself. Could be an option if you are goin to use it multiple times and have somewhere to store them .

I am 'sniffing around' a similar solution for my needs . QJ might be my choice , but I have very limited space :(

Costco do the Quickjack slx for around £1300.

About as good a you can get if you don't have room for a proper 2 post ramp.

I'm about to bite the bullet I think.

I lost my garage with 4 post a few months back and realised I can't be ****d to jack cars up and use jack stands etc.
I don't have room for a proper 2 post, so the Quickjack looks my best bet.

I lost my garage with 4 post a few months back and realised I can't be ****d to jack cars up and use jack stands etc.
So I did a lot of research on this subject (not sure if I've covered everything) and had narrowed it down to three lifts. QJ, full height scissor lift and midrise scissor lift. I had to pretty much rule the scissor lift out (although the best option) because it is apparently very heavy to move, needs to be fixed to the floor and may need tinkering with the electronics. The mobile midrise then seemed a good idea but there are bars that run down the middle of the frame which probably would make dropping a gearbox or engine a bit more challenging. I'm also unsure how I would transport to a new premises in the future,which is something that might be on the cards soon. QJ is easy to move around and seems to be an easier system to implement, but will a gearbox drop be possible or fun?
I think if there is a way to drop the car off a midrise onto super duper high axle stands to make a gearbox drop or engine swap possible, I will strongly reconsider.

A few Porsche guys have dropped the engine/gearbox with the newer QJ.

I would not buy a scissor lift in the hope of using it to get the car on really high jack stands. I think that idea will soon get tired.

Please buy it (pretty Please) . I have been looking at these for a while , I have checked measurements online etc as I am extremely pushed for space where I plan to work on cars.

All of the necessary dimensions are advertised but I have been bitten in the past by incorrect internet measurements (haven't we all ?) and space really is that tight that I have to get it spot on.

I need to get real world info from someone who uses a quickjack set up.

What are you waiting for man ? Get the credit card out ! :p

Haha, I'm in the same boat.

I have a really small garage. I'm holding off at the mo as my neighbour is thinking about renting a barn out, which would allow me to put a proper 2 post in.

Quick jack looks good.....but I was expecting it to lift higher....its only a little higher than my taller axles stands. Sure its a little less hassle (but not much) and it far easier for me to get under the car on axles stands than it will be with the QJ in the way nearly all the way down both sides....what a pain that would be......Now if it went up 4 feet or so that would be useful.

The QJ are considerably easier than getting a car onto 4 jack stands, I think that is the main appeal.

I guess it depends what car and, jack and jack stands you already have though?

Getting a car onto 4 axle stands can be a problem, as I discovered the hard way with my 968 cab, Do one end first then the other end, not one side first then the other - my cab dropped off the stands while trying the "one side first" method, to the amusement of members on the 968UK forum - those *******ers have never let me forget it!

Haha, my problem is length of my garage, I can't get the long jack in properly far enough to get the rear ends up on something strong enough to then get axle stands on the jack points.

QJ is just slide under and then raise. It sounds appealing.

Wouldn’t it be easier to drive the rear of the car onto ramps , then jack the front up and put that on axle stands. This would add stability over having 4 axle stands and for 90% of work the rear ramps won’t be in the way ?
Just a thought

I tend to work on 911's, 95% of the work is at the rear. But your point is still valid. Haha

The problem for me is I have had a 4 post ramp for the last 25 years of so, and lots of space too.

Jack stands and wheel ramps are a pain in the ****.

I bought some wheel ramps, however, the Porsche is too low to 'drive up them' although I did jack the front up and put the ramps under the front wheels. This gave a surprising amount of height.
Looks like there is just enough space under to remove the AWD system at the front and the propshaft, which is what I need to do next.

However, I have now stopped working on the car, I really can't be bothered to mess around for 30 minutes getting it all set up, and just be able to work on one side. Space is really tight as it is single garage. It means you can only work on one side at a time, with the Quick Jacks I could centre the car and have enough space, just, to work on both sides.

What I might do, I'm not back to work till next week, is build some 2x4 wheel stands/cribs. They look really useful.

Off the wall thought courtesy of the garage at our old home - get a digger to dig out and install a pit under the centre of your garage, include ledges at the side and get 4x2 stress graded planks for over the pit, then instead of lifting the car you have a way to get underneath it, and with stress graded 4x2's over the top you can jack the car off the timbers if needed! Guess what I had crossways across the back of my 26ft deep by 20ft wide garage I had built at the old house - and miss like crazy with the short narrow single garage we have here! I built the pit narrow enough for our son's MG Midget, but also had my 968 coupe and another time a friend's Renault espace over it! If this is an option, don't forget a power supply into the pit for lighting (I used 500W halogens which also gave lots of useful heat) and manhole steps to get in/out of it!

I bought some wheel ramps, however, the Porsche is too low to 'drive up them' although I did jack the front up and put the ramps under the front wheels.
Same with my car.....cured by cutting two 3 feet lengths of scaffold plank and using them as ramps to get on the ramps!.....even my old slammed Mitsi GTO could get up on the ramps using this method.

I should add, I rent my garages. Hence limted to what I can do with them. I have asked if I can knock the partition wall down between the two but he said no. :(

Yeah, I will cut a couple of extensions to use with the ramps.
The other thing is they are probably a smidge too narrow, with 285 section tyres I should have got some ramps that are a little wider. I would feel much happier driving onto them if the tyre easily sat in the middle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom