• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Info for a Newbie

raffo

Car
2002 Mercedes C-180, 2.0l
Hi guys & gals,

I've recently bought a 2002 Merc C-180 W203, non-kompressor model, with 80'000 miles on the clock. It was idling rough when i got her and had very poor fuel economy, also a few days later it threw the P0130 and P0131 codes at me. Anywho, bought a brand new VDO Siemens MAF sensor and a brand new Bosch O2 sensor and installed. Running much better, better fuel economy and CEL has not returned.
The only thing is that the car is still idling slightly rough on first start up, only for about 30 seconds then it smooths out.
Is this normal or am i missing something? I know Toyota's have a higher idle when cold to get the engine warm but this surely isn't enough time on the C-180 to do the same?
Would spark plugs be a factor? I pulled mine out and noticed they were a bit past it looking, only the basic copper core NGK's were used by the previos owner.

Any help would be very appreciated

Hi mine runs high revs for a minute or so on tick over but don't sound rough! They run high revs and change gear later to get the cat up to temp for emissions sake so sounds normal apart from sounding rough. When you say rough do you mean its spluttering or something?

thanks for the reply,

yes, it feels slightly spluttery going through 1st to 3rd, mild but it's there. 6 speed manual gear box by the way

Welcome! You say spark plugs are looking a bit worn, you should definitely change them - not expensive and if doesn't help at least can be checked off the list.

p.s. stick with spark plugs recommended by mb. there should be a sign somewhere around the engine bay.

Last edited:
have just changed the plugs, using NGK Laser Iridium IFR6D10, so will hopefully know more when engine is started from fully cold
Now on the hunt for the fuel filter location, that may be the next job on the list

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom