• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Infuriating cut out problem at standstill

LondonMerc777

Car
c240 1998
1998 C240.
Yesterday - no cut outs - today - every time i stopped for more than a minute during 1st 4 miles of my journey cut out - then for the last 3 miles of the journey - no cut outs ...
It idles steadily at 600 - then for no apparent reason cuts out!
There is an error code 200 comes up when i turn the ignition key.
If it's the MAF why doesn't it cut out all the time?
If it's the throttle body needing cleaned - why doesn't it cut out all the time?
Apart from this i really like the car!
Help ... ;)

Possibly camshaft sensor, check the wiring loom for oil ingress.

Could be maf or a number of things,sorry to sound vague,the best course of action is to
get it plugged into Star to find the cause.

I agree with martyz on this one. Get it plugged into a Star and see what comes up. Check my thread "She's at it again", some good useful tips there.

Star is best, but try Googling CPS to see if it matches your symptoms.

I haven't mentioned that my car also runs on LPG - i did try switching it off to see if it made any difference, it didn't seem too - it was stall stall stall today till i topped up the LPG and it never stalled/cut out after that - but yesterday it stalled for the 1st 4 miles then not at all in the last 3 miles of my 7 mile commute home ... i sent a msg to that PCD chap re having a look at it but no reply as yet - i will certainly get it looked at properly on Tuesday at latest (my next day off) - i can sense it's not a lot wrong with it - if it stop cutting out in traffic and the auto gear change was smoother i'd be a happy bunny ... you all might be thinking fuel filter now ( and i wonder if it is that too) i got a msg from the previous owner who said the LPG system has just been serviced and filter checked also anytime the auto box wasn't spot on his mechanic would drain and refill the ATF with the exact amount specified ... ( i have read here it's supposed to be a sealed for life unit). I have also read somewhere that there is a computer upgrade that smoothes to the gear change too ... if it doesn't cut out at all tomorrow it points to the fuel filter being clogged up when fuel is low yes? Does it matter re the LPG - does that go through the same fuel filter as the petrol? ( some of u might laugh at that question) but hey i don't know .... What i'd like to do is clean the throttle body and butterfly, check MAF and fuel filter and get that computer based upgrade to the auto box ... past these little niggles there is a great car - good looking and fast enough, handles great too ... ;)

Last edited:
Been looking at an LPG forum - it might be a LPG problem - here is the text from that forum:

The car is a 2011 Fiat Panda, with, I think a non Multiair engine.
It has been a recurring problem all the time I've had the car. When the engine revs drop to idol speed when approaching a junction, it cuts out, the engine stops, it doesn't go over to petrol. It's like the revs need to be increased more at idol speed.
I've had an LPG installer (who fitted the system) connect it to his computer but despite his best efforts, the engine still cuts out. This is why I'm looking for advice/help elsewhere. I don't know enough to ask him about the readings he had.

the expert replies:

andy evans autogas
Post subject: Re: Fiat 1200 Cutting Out While on LPGPostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:34 am

This is a common fault with pandas on LPG. A lot of installers don't know what to do to rectify it, I had the same fault with one about 3yrs ago when the car was brand new and the fiat garage kept making changes to components under the bonnet instead of listening to me as to what the problem was, they kept on bringing the car to me on petrol with fuel trims out of over 75% either way. In the end the customer got me to fix it for him and he never went back to fiat with it but just comes to me now .. Your installer probably wont get it with adjustment it's a physical modification that needs doing.Who is the installer?? And are you local to Wirral ?? If so call in with it and ill sort it for you.
Andy

Well this is fun .. didn't cut out at all today - full of LPG ... can it be a dirty LPG filter? Saying that it was cutting out before the log kicked in over the Thu/Fri ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom