Intermittent Steering Vibration

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mgm414

Car
w221 s550
Hi Guys!!

Hang in there reading till the end, I try to give as much details :D ... I have a W221 S550 - 2011 model imported from Japan with low mileage. When the car was just bought, vibrations were felt in the steering wheel, even the brake pedal, although I don't know what to expect (because of driving a 2017 BMW 5 series) in terms of what's normal/acceptable and what is not.

So I had do the following items done (Some might not be relevant but I mention them):

- Wheel balancing & alignment, and re-torqued Lower, upper arm and suspension bolts and relubricated
- Replaced suspension Valves
- Changed all four wheels and had all rims checked and were ok. New Tyres fitted were continentals (2021).

Then went out driving the car, I realized the vibration was gone. Then next day it was back, so I rush for wheel balancing at another place, done and no vibration out of there, then it comes back next day!

I took the car later to Continental themselves to inspect the tires, they informed me that the tires were in perfect condition, and they re-balanced them and I went for a test drive which was satisfactory, but the vibration came back same night.

so later I took the car and changed:
- All brake pads, both front brake disks
- Ball joints
- Control Arm Assembly front
- Lower & Upper Arm Assemblies
- Steering Rack end RHS
- Stabilizer Link Rod.

The crackling sounds from bushings were gone, steering vibration gone, then a while later it came back in a strange matter.

I start the car in the morning and drive a distance of 125km to work, vibration exists starting from 90kmh till 125 kmh then after a while driving it goes away. 8 hours later, I start the car and drive back home with no vibration at all.
Next day, I start the car same time in the morning and drive to work with no vibration at all, 8 hours later I start the car to drive back and the vibration is back on the steering for a while then disappears.

Nowadays, I just start the car, and when I accelerate in a fast manner to 100kmh nothing happens, a bit of firm braking and accelerate normally to 100 and steering vibrates..

I guess it cannot get any weirder than this, I am still trying to troubleshoot! Any ideas??

regards,
M

Sounds like you’ve been through the usual suspects. The randomness is intriguing. Engine mountings? Is it actually shaking the steering wheel left/right if you relax your grip, or is it just a general vibration? Can you feel it through the seat into your bottom?

@Jobsworth Starts at around 90 kmh clearly felt on the steering wheel when let go especially, until 120-130. Then a while later goes away. I suspected the tire's load rating for the car, but the intermittence is what is making the whole case confusing. Do engine mountings cause vibration felt in seats, at low RPM? Because the workshop I took it to + Continental themselves are so curious about the reason for vibration, as you said, usual suspects are dealt with I guess.

Is the car 4 matic?

no bro it isn't 4matic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom