Internals differnce?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ferg f

Car
C63 Coupe and GLE
Just wondering if anyone can tell me if there is any difference in the 4Ltr Bi-turbo M177 and M178 engines internally ie is the M178 got stronger internals to allow for the extra BHP or are the internals the same.

I realise that the turbos are different.

cheers - ferg

I thought it was just that the M178 had a dry sump system to accommodate the chassis restrictions on the AMG GT?

Can't be bothered looking round the web this morning, a job for another day perhaps...

Just to add to my previous reply, the turbos aren't different between the M177 & M178, just on certain versions of the M177, notably the one fitted to the C Class. These have single scroll turbos whereas the ones fitted to most of the other AMG cars are twin scroll.

M178 is a dry sump with twin scroll turbo casings. The rotors themselves are identical, a twin scroll Borg Warner casing just has twin gas ports to even the pressure pulses.

Both the M177 and M178 have all forged internals.

As suggested, the defining difference between M177 and M178 is wet sump versus dry sump. There are therm differing versions of each, most often being a different map and/or turbo design.

M178 is a dry sump with twin scroll turbo casings. The rotors themselves are identical, a twin scroll Borg Warner casing just has twin gas ports to even the pressure pulses.

I believe that the M178 fitted to the GT C and GT R both use the same turbos But which are different to the rest of the GT range, although they are still are a single scroll design.

Thanks for the info Unimog, it is what I thought but wasn't 100%. So once the car is out of warranty (over two years though), putting a map on her to 580BHP is not going to be an issue on the internals.

Brabus and Performaster do big turbo and tuning module upgrades that take power to 820bhp and 1070nm with full factory warranty, so it can definitely take the power.

I looked at the Brabus page, the B40-600, it looked a tad expensive initially but then when you consider the warranty is not invalidated then it doesn't look such a bad deal!

Just wondering if anyone can tell me if there is any difference in the 4Ltr Bi-turbo M177 and M178 engines internally ie is the M178 got stronger internals to allow for the extra BHP or are the internals the same.

I realise that the turbos are different.

cheers - ferg
I think the M178 has lower compression ratio. So can handle more boost level

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom