iPad mini 3G?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sinewave

MB Enthusiast
Car
BMW 520 M-Sport Touring, Kawasaki ZX10R KRT (AMG Eater!)
What happens if you stuff ya micro sim in a iPad 3G mini from a iPhone 4S?

Will it work on the Data or will it reject it as it's not a 'Data only' sim?

sinewave said:
What happens if you stuff ya micro sim in a iPad 3G mini from a iPhone 4S?

Will it work on the Data or will it reject it as it's not a 'Data only' sim?

Try it and see!!!!

Not bought one yet Steve!

Might be buying an iPad mini for use as a Bike Sat Nav but don't want to spend on a Data sim when I have all the data I need on me iPhone.

(Oh, and I do know you don't need a Data/3G connection for the Sat Nav to work, just thinking about Hotel use whilst away)

Last edited:
It'll work but watch your data allowance.

As to needing data it depends on the App. Something like Co Pilot or TomTom works on downloaded maps so not needed, unless you want traffic.

You don't need a micro sim to facilitate GPS on a cellular iPad/Mini.

I use CoPilot Live on my iPhone and iPad for GPS duties in the car, without the need to use cellular data. That is due to the integral GPS chip.

If you were to buy the WiFi only iPad/Mini, you would need to buy the additional GNS 2000 GPS GLONASS Receiver (made specifically for Apple devices, such as the iPad/Mini/iPod Touch.

New Products: GNS - Global Navigation Systems

With the 4s you could just tether as well - a setting on the 4s to allow it to become a wireless access point.

With the 4s you could just tether as well - a setting on the 4s to allow it to become a wireless access point.

Not so my young Jedi!

I've done a fair bito research in to this so far and tethering is not an option on alot of carriers.

They seem to be able to disable that feature with their sims.

I'm currently on a Tesco sim only deal (which uses the O2 network) on my 4S which gives me 650 mins, 1Gb of Data and Unlimited txts for the grand total of £10/month all in!

The Tethering setting on my 4S is not there so must have been 'removed' on activation of the Tesco sim.

They aint Stooopid these carriers ya know! :(

Not so my young Jedi!

I've done a fair bito research in to this so far and tethering is not an option on alot of carriers.

I'm currently on a Tesco sim only deal (which uses the O2 network) on my 4S which gives me 650 mins, 1Gb of Data and Unlimited txts for the grand total of £10 all in!

The Tethering setting on my 4S is not there so must have been 'removed' on activation of the Tesco sim.

On 3 Network it is free.

On 3 Network it is free.

True, I have looked at 3 but their coverage aint all that, as they say! :(

sinewave said:
True, I have looked at 3 but their coverage aint all that, as they say! :(

You might be surprised , I was on O2 with an iPhone 3 in an area with apparently excellent coverage, I had so many issues and replacement phones that in end I got the contract cancelled. I am now on 3 who claim an Ok signal and its fine on both my iPad and iPhone 4S.

3 allow tethering too so you can use your phone for internet and as I understand it the phone relays the gps/location info through to a wireless only ipad, I am on an unlimited data plan though so best to check with them.

As for putting Sim in iPad, I have a PAyg sim for all the networks which I keep for when I am travelling so I can use the best network where I am. Most networks allow you to top up for varying times/ data allowances so its worth grabbing the freebie ones and checking signal strength etc where you are likely to use it.

I wouls suggest avoiding Orange as they only do rolling monthly contracts as a minimum

I have the 'New iPad' and in hindsight the mini is a much better idea, lighter and a bit more discreet when out and about

ashadam said:
On 3 Network it is free.

Depends on your contract, some you have to pay £5 per month for a 1 gig limit.

I only know that because I recently changed to 3, opted to pay the £5 and have yet to get it to work. The iPad comes up with a message saying tethering isn't allowed on my contract even though I'm being charged for it.

Customer services are more than useless as are the staff in the Bath branch who point blank refused to discuss the issue even though I went in with the iPad & iPhone to demonstrate the problem.

I am on a £36 2k mins and 5k txts which gives unlimited internet and allows tethering on my iPhone 4s, I am sure my payg sim allows it too though.

I have noticed that O2 sims disable the 'personal hotspot' menu in phone/ipad, I got round this with a MiFi however.

I wonder if it relates to the sim they gave you, perhaps they have set up some sort of barr on data specific ones, I just got a bog standard 3G sim from shop (payg), you can stick it in phone for calls or use with ipad and dongle without issue as long as you buy a £10 1 Gig data allowance which lasts a month.

I have a £12 rolling contract which gives unlimited tinternet, 200 mins & unlimited (5000) texts. The tethering is an extra £5 bolt on or whatever 3 call them.

Having thought about it a bit more it will pay me to cancel the £5 per month bolt on and go back to using a £10.50 3 gig 3 month sim for my Mifi. It's only to cover when I'm working away and the hotel doesn't have free wifi.

Unfortunately for me that will involve another call to customer services :-(

Ian_Mac said:
I have a £12 rolling contract which gives unlimited tinternet, 200 mins & unlimited (5000) texts. The tethering is an extra £5 bolt on or whatever 3 call them.

Having thought about it a bit more it will pay me to cancel the £5 per month bolt on and go back to using a £10.50 3 gig 3 month sim for my Mifi. It's only to cover when I'm working away and the hotel doesn't have free wifi.

Unfortunately for me that will involve another call to customer services :-(

My contract is up in June so was thinking of switching to the plan your on however I think its £13 now for new customers but its still good. Still a huge saving over £36 a month and I hardly ever go over 200 minutes anymore as most people txt and Facebook these days.

I saw Everything Everywhere have a 4G MiFi now but I guess its a bit premature to be getting one as there really isnt the coverage yet

Not so my young Jedi!

I'm currently on a Tesco sim only deal (which uses the O2 network) on my 4S which gives me 650 mins, 1Gb of Data and Unlimited txts for the grand total of £10/month all in!

Get off O2 / Tesco.. tethering works fine on Vodafone

Get off O2 / Tesco.. tethering works fine on Vodafone

Was with Vodafone for 13 years and just moved to Tesco at Christmas as Voda's signal was shyte where I live and even with their Sure Signal Femtocell it was patchy.

Tesco/O2 is ace where we are hence the swap.
The deal is one of the best out there also at £10/month for 650mins, ULTD TXTs and 1 Gb of data.

Spose at that price Tethering is an ASK too far! :rolleyes:

sinewave said:
Was with Vodafone for 13 years and just moved to Tesco at Christmas as Voda's signal was shyte where I live and even with their Sure Signal Femtocell it was patchy.

Tesco/O2 is ace where we are hence the swap.
The deal is one of the best out there also at £10/month for 650mins, ULTD TXTs and 1 Gb of data.

Spose at that price Tethering is an ASK too far! :rolleyes:

http://news.o2.co.uk/2011/05/26/o2-tethering-explained-phones-tariffs-and-bolt-ons/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom