• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Is my motor factor BSing me?

SiW

Car
2019 AMG C43 Coupe
My wife’s GLE250d needs a coolant top up. I asked my local motor factor for pink as advised by MB, they took my money and then handed me a bottle of red. I questioned this and the guy told me i needed to dilute it 50:50 with distilled water to make pink. I smell BS because I can’t find anything online to confirm this either way. Can anyone help? TIA

Does the bottle not have instructions on the label stating if it needs to be diluted or not?

Does the bottle not have instructions on the label stating if it needs to be diluted or not?
Nope, unfortunately not. Its Granville. Makes reference to MB 325.3, but i dont think thats the right number.

I think that what the OP is asking is if undiluted pink coolant should look red (and then become pink once diluted).

To the OP, I don't know the answer to your question, but just to say that different coolant manufacturers use different colour dyes to differentiate between different formulas.

MB use pink dye for this particular coolant, but the compatible coolant from other brands (i.e. not MB-branded) may or may not be pink.

The bottom line is that the colour (in this case pink) is only relevant when talking about genuine MB coolant. But if the coolant isn't MB-branded, then the colour is irrelevant and you need to go by spec (I.e. Bevi Spec Sheet MBxxx), and NOT by colour.

Nope, unfortunately not. Its Granville. Makes reference to MB 325.3, but i dont think thats the right number.

If it's not MB-branded, then forget about the colour, and instead check if MB325.3 is the correct spec for coolant for your engine.

Aa said, you can rely on the colour alone ONLY if you're buying MB-branded coolant.

I think that what the OP is asking is if undiluted pink coolant should look red (and then become pink once diluted).

To the OP, I don't know the answer to your question, but just to say that different coolant manufacturers use different colour dyes to differentiate between different formulas.

MB use pink dye for this particular coolant, but the compatible coolant from other brands (i.e. not MB-branded) may or may not be pink.

The bottom line is that the colour (in this case pink) is only relevant when talking about genuine MB coolant. But if the coolant isn't MB-branded, then the colour is irrelevant and you need to go by spec (I.e. Bevi Spec Sheet MBxxx), and NOT by colour.
Bugger. This is what happens when you’re in a rush and have to use the motor factors.
Thanks for the help. I’ll have to check the actual spec of the MB pink.

If it's not MB-branded, then forget about the colour, and instead check if MB325.3 is the correct spec for coolant for your engine.

Aa said, you can rely on the colour alone ONLY if you're buying MB-branded coolant.
Cheers, I’ll check the book when i get in. See what the spec is meant to be. I still question the validity of the bit about diluting one spec to make it another though.

i don't think they were saying it would make it a different spec by adding water, I suspect they meant to make it look pink.

You should have topped it up with water and ordered the correct stuff I would say.

i don't think they were saying it would make it a different spec by adding water, I suspect they meant to make it look pink.

You should have topped it up with water and ordered the correct stuff I would say.
Yeah i think you’re right. Which suggests he thought he could mug me off. I did the typical british thing and took his word for it whilst thinking he was BSing me!😂
I’ll stick some distilled in and book it in to check why its losing coolant in the first place.

MB do have different MB Spec Sheet numbers for concentrate and for ready-mixed coolant, I.e. for the same product.

MB do have different MB Spec Sheet numbers for concentrate and for ready-mixed coolant, I.e. for the same product.
Yeah ive now found that i need 325.6 or 326.6 so the 325.3 i have is no good.

Not sure about the 'adding water' thing , all water was not created equal , round our way it is the hardest water ever , I certainly not add it to any cooling system in any vehicle I own.

Unless on the container it states a maximum hardness of water to dilute it with I would steer clear.

The stuff in the yellow container made by Penistone states it can be mixed with all engine coolants 🤷‍♂️

Not sure about the 'adding water' thing , all water was not created equal , round our way it is the hardest water ever , I certainly not add it to any cooling system in any vehicle I own.

Unless on the container it states a maximum hardness of water to dilute it with I would steer clear.

The stuff in the yellow container made by Penistone states it can be mixed with all engine coolants 🤷‍♂️
It has to be distilled water, so no contaminants. Thanks for tip on the Penistone stuff. I’ll look into it.

Sorry , I meant PRESTONE for the coolant , it's available at Screwfix centres , but can possible be got cheaper elsewhere.

1726131247360.png

Reactions: SiW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom