Is the E280 CDI underpowered?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glyn E

Hi all, newbie here. I'm looking to buy an E class and I am wondering if the E280 CDI is underpowered. I am looking for the ability to cruise without working the engine and to be able to easliy overtake a vehicle who is doing 55mph on a country road with few passing places, as this seems to frequently happen to me. I am also more interested in luxury rather than sport so does the Avantgarde feel a bit too hard?
Thanks for any advice.

Hi all, newbie here. I'm looking to buy an E class and I am wondering if the E280 CDI is underpowered. I am looking for the ability to cruise without working the engine and to be able to easliy overtake a vehicle who is doing 55mph on a country road with few passing places, as this seems to frequently happen to me. I am also more interested in luxury rather than sport so does the Avantgarde feel a bit too hard?
Thanks for any advice.

It depends what you're coming from.

Why don't you go and drive one and make your mind up.

I have a E220cdi estate - it cruises fine and dispatches country road traffic with no problem. The punch betwee 50 and 70 seems to surprise everyone, which is one reason why I've never bothered to shell out any more for the larger engines.

Reactions: m80
I used to have an I6 320 CDI. My 280 is slightly slower, but still plenty quick enough.

I recently got the 211 280CDI estate; cruising at 80mph/2000rpm is very relaxed and quiet (you can hear the tyres more than the engine). I find acceleration from 50 more than adequate - I tend to push the shift stick left to drop a few gears before overtaking rather than use kickdown.

It's the Avantgarde - I find the suspension decently balanced (not too hard/not too wallowy). Previously had audi sport suspension so I'm accustomed to much harder springs (or no suspension as the other half put it). I did try an e-class sport model and initially liked the feel of that more for cornering (likely because it was closer to my existing car). On balance I think the AG was the right trade-off - it certainly doesn't roll around corners and the ride over poorly maintained A-roads is significantly less jarring than the sport.

I was loaned a 212 E220 estate the other week whilst my car was being serviced. In comparison the E220 is surprisingly fast- the E280 is quicker but there's not much in acceleration in real terms to be honest. Cruising at speed is still very relaxed. What you do notice in flowing traffic is the E220 tends to change down a bit more often when you're accelerating gently to close the gap in front - the E280 will stick in gear more often and use the extra torque available. The E220 is also a bit noisier, having the classic diesel clatter (better muffled than other cars but still quite audible) - the V6 E280 just sounds much smoother. I think the E220 is a bit lower geared at motorway speeds which adds to the noise a bit - 80mph/~2500 rpm.

I would actually be happy with either - see if you can test drive both to decide if the difference matters to you.

I have a E220cdi estate - it cruises fine and dispatches country road traffic with no problem. The punch betwee 50 and 70 seems to surprise everyone, which is one reason why I've never bothered to shell out any more for the larger engines.

whats the power of a 220cdi Mr E if you dont mind... mate

Need to look at torque as well as power outputs, but on both measures the 280CDi is perfectly adequate. (I believe it's about 325 lb/ft compared with about 375lb/ft in the 320) Very smooth engine as well.

I've got the E280 CDi estate, having previously driven a BMW 535dSE touring. I was expecting to find the 280 sluggish and was considering upgrades, but tbh I found the real world difference to be smaller than expected so I never bothered. But if you do want to upgrade the 280, it's a bit of a bargain. It's essentially the same engine as the 320, so will take an upgrade very nicely. As far as handling is concerned, I find even the avantgarde is on the 'comfortable' side - but that probably is a contrast from driving the beemer, which is very firm.

I test drove an E280 and CLS320. The 280 is perfect and the 320 is slightly overkill, naturally I went for the 320 with Brabus kit.

S

I have a 280 CDI with the 3,2 L inline 6. It is rated at 177 hp, but after a remap it is really quick. More than enough to overtake at almost any speed.

No, the 280 engine is in my Viano and I am loving the performance and smoothness

I had a lift back from the airport in one a couple of weeks ago. No shortage of power. And it had 300k miles on it. HD

Same engine but different tune. Same tax Class J, not much difference in fuel mpg.

The 280 is Semi-Skimmed - enough grunt delivers the goods.
The 320 is full fat - powerhouse, more power than you'll ever need and let's face it you'll never fully exploit it on UK roads. Both very good cars. As you're after more luxury than prowess you won't feel short changed with the 280.

I have a 280 Aventgarde 2008. Standard bhp 212. Brabus D5 fitted before I purchased it .This has increased bhp to 245.

I have a 280 Aventgarde 2008. Standard bhp 212. Brabus D5 fitted before I purchased it .This has increased bhp to 245.
Strange, I always thought the W211 E280cdi was rated at only 190 bhp (or 187bhp depending where you look).

Last edited:
I've run a year 2009 W211 E280 CDI Sports Estate for about 8 years.
It's been my work-horse and my leisure vehicle.
Having done over 70,000 miles in all modes of driving, I've never found the engine to be short of grunt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom