Issues with MB Bolton!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shshivji

Car
Mercedes C280 avantgarde SE sport package 2006
Hey guys, as some of you know I recently purchased an 06 C280 7 speed auto from Huddersfield Mercedes. The car came with a Tier 1 warranty and was told its the same warranty as buying a new car, also I can take the car to any mercedes garage and warranty would be valid.

After 2 weeks of owning the merc I noticed a harsh kick down form 2nd to 1st when in sports mode (only did it twice), so I put on a post here and a couple of members informed me there was a software upgrade for the box which sorts this issue out. I promptly booked my car in at Bolton Mercedes and explained the issue and informed them of my tier 1 warranty, the service adviser explained to me that they will need the car for a couple of hours for diagnostics and if there is any work that needs carrying out that is not covered under warranty they will phone me and let me know so we can discuss the options. So took the car in the next day and told them that I need the car by 5 as I'm driving down to Dorset in the evening, left the car and waited for the phone call.......

At 3 O'clock I get a phone call from a service adviser, who tells me that they have checked the car over and have performed a software update BUT now the autobox needs an adaptation via diagnostic machine at a cost £350 which must be done after every software update, this is not covered by warranty and I'll have to pay, he stated that after a software update they need to teach the box how to change gears. This shocked me as I've not heard of this, so I explained to them that they shouldn't of performed a software update without phoning me first, as there is no way I am paying £350 for a car I've only owned for 2 weeks, If they phoned me before the update then I would of picked the car up and taken it too where I brought if from, the adviser informed me that the car will still drive how it did before but still have the 2-1 rough gear change unless I paid £350 for the adaptation to take place and if I didn't want to pay I needed to contact the salesman who sold me the car.
So I phoned up Huddersfield Mercedes and explained to them the above situation, the service manager at Huddersfield then informed that after a software update there is no adaptation program as these box self adapt over time when its driven, he also said DO NOT pay THE £350!! as its their ploy to get money out of me. So I phoned up Bolton Mercedes told them I won't be paying the £350 and I want my car back now so I'm on my way to pick it up!! On the the way to Bolton Mercedes I get another phone call from the service advisor at Bolton stating that I owe them for the Software update as its not covered under warranty!! Well I was livid!!
I got to Bolton Mercedes and spoke to the service manager and told him that I will not be paying for anything as you were suppose to phone before any work was carried out that was not under warranty, secondly you are also wanting to charge me £350 for a adaptation that isn't needed, so I want my keys so I can take it some where else!! After half an hour of arguing he gave my keys back to me and said that I will definitely need this adaptation doing otherwise the gearbox won't change correctly!!
Now I've done 300 miles to Dorset and the changes seem fine, infact the kickdown is allot smoother. Question is has anyone else had the new software done under warranty?? if not did you also have to pay for a adaptation at a cost of £350???? Also when is the gear oil change due on these vehicles as Bolton Mercedes wanted a further £325 for a gear oil and filter change!!!

Sorry for the long story but feel angry at the moment

Shak

Hmmm

So I just had an issue (posted on here) with harsh changes. Took the car to my local Indie (Wright Tech). he plugs it into STAR re-sets the gearbox and throttle to factory default. he then says that the car will will now re-learn / adapt to my driving style. It did and it was fine. He charged me zippo, nil, nought, nowt.

Stay away from this dealer. If the car is now fine then your point is proved.

I would definitely write to Mercedes UK about this.

We used to say backstreet sharks. Not anymore!

Erm the adaption reset is a couple of clicks on star followed by a test drive....

As Jay says and I stated. This is a two minute job. Five minutes max if they check & clear any errors. I would have thought that buying them a cup of tea would more than cover their outgoings on this.

As said above this does look like a blatant attempt at ripping you off. Report them to MB UK.

Call MB customer services but the dealer will say the adaptation thing was a misunderstanding blah blah...

Routine software upgrades are generally not done under warranty by any manufacturer. This business that some people will tell you that the car gets "updates" every time it goes to the dealer isn't true. Doing a software update can take hours and ties up a service bay and Star machine and the dealers hate doing them.

The ATF probably should have been changed at 37,500 miles or 4yrs. You can check it on Mercedes-Benz ESS . If yours has been missed you may well have to go back to the supplying dealer.

Last edited:
I had my gearbox software wiped and the updated version reinstalled after which a tech took it for a road test to make sure all was well. Took 3 hours and all FOC. This was Mercedes Macclesfield. Never had anything but good and curteous service from all staff there and will definitely be purchasing next car from them. :thumb:

Mental note, never take your MB to MB Bolton. Personally, I would be takng names and lett thedealer principal and MB UK know about this. Yes, this would make me angry too, what BS from a main dealer.

On a positive note hope your car is all good now.

Kamal

Hey guys, cheers for your useful inputs. My next step is to write to MB UK and make an official complaint about this, I do wonder how many people get ripped off like this!! I wouldn't of minded if they phoned me up and told me that the software update was not covered under warranty and therefore will be charged but what really annoys me is them initially trying to take £350 off me for a procedure that doesn't exist :mad:
I've phoned huddersfield Merc and they informed me that the gearbox oil and filter isn't due till 37500, there is no time limit, I also you used the above ESS link and that is confirmed, its mileage only. So will get that done when its due at Huddersfield.

I'm glad I found out about Bolton Mercedes with a relatively small claim, if it went for major work god knows what sorta bill I would have received :confused:

Will keep you posted with my progress with MB UK, but I am sure Bolton Merc will deny all knowledge.

Shak

the adviser informed me that the car will still drive how it did before but still have the 2-1 rough gear change unless I paid £350 for the adaptation to take place and if I didn't want to pay I needed to contact the salesman who sold me the car.

as its their ploy to get money out of me. So I phoned up Bolton Mercedes told them I won't be paying the £350 and I want my car back now so I'm on my way to pick it up!! On the the way to Bolton Mercedes I get another phone call from the service advisor at Bolton stating that I owe them for the Software update as its not covered under warranty!!

This is MBs equivalent of the supermarkets' premium food ranges.

A sort of 'MB Finest Customer Service' if you will or 'You Count' (I'm sure they think that when every customer arrives) - a truly unparalleled service which is of the level that anyone who knows MB now comes to expect.

Right, I''ve sent a stern letter to MB UK regarding this situation, so we'll see what happens from here. I also received a customer survey request from Marshalls (Bolton Mercedes Franchise) so I soon did that and sent it off.
The funny thing is if Bolton Mercedes told me that the software upgrade is chargeable as its not covered under warranty, I would of been ok with that, as they spent time on my car and someone has to pay BUT to actually try and rip me off by wanting to charge me for a job that doesn't exist is what really makes me ANGRY!!
I can't see anything being done about this as the dealer is bound to deny any knowledge of this, but we'll see.

Shak

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom