• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

I've bought a new Citroen

Palmball

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi R8 V10+ & BMW M5
I got fed up of waiting for the C63 so I've cancelled the order and downsized! :eek:

Well....no actually, that was all a big lie! :rolleyes:

It's actually my girlfriends new car and after my constant moaning about her previous car, a Mini Cooper S, she finally decided to shut me up and get something else! Despite being a relatively new Mini (i.e. 2008!), it must have been a bad one as in the year we had it, the car had 3 oil leaks and the interior rattled, buzzed and creaked like no other car I've ever known. It wound me up something chronic!

After going to the Geneva motorshow, both of us were pretty impressed with this new Citroen DS3; so much so that a couple of days after getting back we found one in the spec she wanted (i.e. a red one with everything option on it!), sold the Mini to a local car trader for very good money and bought the Citroen! The good thing about the Mini is that it hardly depreciated in the year and was one of the easiest things I've ever sold!

First impressions about the DS3 is that it's very funky looking, it's very smooth and refined to drive and has very, very good build quality (yes...I know its a Citroen but I REALLY mean this - the quality is mighty impressive).

The looks
A very subjective thing but this is a very striking car and it's getting lots of notice. Just how long this'll last I don't know but at the minute, there's aren't many others about so it looks different and pretty cool.

Unfortunately ours has black wheels which don't sit well at all against the dark red car and white roof; they're being re-painted in white in a couple of weeks to match the roof colour!

Interior
The looks of the interior are pretty special; the seats are supportive and in the white leather they look good, the dash is very modern and, as I've already said, the build quality is first rate...I know its only done 150 miles but there isn't a rattle or creak and the whole interior seems very solidly put together (i.e unlike the Mini, if you prod the dash it doesn't creak under stress!). Randomly, it's also got one of the comfiest steering wheels I've ever held - it seems to be shaped perfectly to fit the natural curve of your hand/fingers.

What isn't so impressive is the driving position; it's not unacceptable like most other french cars but unlike most of the mainly German cars I'm used to, you just can't get close enough to the wheel without having bent legs. The French must all have little legs!

Performance
The DS3 actually has the same engine as a Mini Cooper S (1.6 Turbo) but it's slightly detuned. However, the DS3 is a good 50kg lighter and has exactly the same torque so in reality it feels just as quick. Well, not strictly true; it's so smooth and quiet that you don't get the same sensation of speed but the speedo says otherwise! Autocar have just tested it to 60mph in 6.7 seconds which isn't too bad for a 150bhp car!

In fact, for a small car it is incredibly quiet on the motorway. On the private test track that I took it on today (as it would be highly illegal on the public road) it cruised at well over 100mph in relative quietness.

Handling
Now, this is the area where the Cooper S should still be superior and yes, the Mini was sharper and more direct with loads more feel. The DS3 has very little feel in comparison but it has very good roadholding and just grips and grips.

It's very easy to place and aim for the apex on a bend (again, on that private test track thing I went on today ;)), it tucks in nicely (and safely) on a lift of the throttle and it stays composed on bumpy bends...something the Mini with its bone-shaking ride couldn't do for toffee. In fact the overall drive is very well suited to our sh!t roads with a good ride and handling compromise.

Here's a few photo's....

P1000697.jpg

P1000700.jpg

P1000701.jpg

P1000710.jpg

P1000708.jpg

P1000712.jpg

P1000714.jpg

My wife having had two Cooper S's, I know exactly what you mean about cabin rattles and other faults :doh:

As you noted, the positive about MINI ownership is the rock-solid residuals but I very much doubt the Citroen will hold it's value nearly so well - however good it may be. That's because (and I'm not trying to pee on your fireworks) it will either be absolutely wonderful, or after a year bits will be continually falling off it and you'll want to set fire to it. There is no "in between" with Citroen's in my experience :(

You're right about residuals - this definitely won't be as good. I'm also normally quite averse to French cars as the quality is often so poor but this one really does seem different - it just feels so solid and well made and in another league to what went before at Citroen.

Indeed, maybe they've turned a quality corner; my dad has a C6 (you know, one of those crazy looking things!) which he got for pretty much half price with just 7k on the clock. That was a year ago and so far it's been faultless.

That looks really good. I've seen a couple of lower spec ones out and about and they don't look anything like as striking as that one, seems like a decent alternative to the Mini/Fiat 500 norm. It'll be interesting to see how it hold up over time and miles.

As for the C6, I love it but was too scared of the residuals to go for one at £30K ish when I was buying 18 months ago,

I think it will become a collectors car...

... you will need someone following you collecting the bits that drop off :D

More seriously, I actually like it as it is not a "lemming car" like the mini or fiat 500
time will tell if it is built well I guess...

No its a nice enough car. Personally I'd have gone for a used Golf diesel but can see the appeal of this car.

The seats look good and comfy but supportive and the press reviews very good. Citreon put a lot of work into getting this car right and from what I've read accross several motoring magazines and here tonight I think they have.

I have to say, I didn't even know that car existed but it looks very nice and i'm sure it goes quite well compared to the supercharged mini!

Mini's are crap!!

I commend your originality :), it looks nice, and I'll be interested to know how you get on with it. I'm hoping it will have better build quality then the bmw/toyota/mini garbage you had before.

(I really hate minis).

An interesting choice.

Half of me says it looks good - the other half says Citroen must have a used focus groups composed of teenage saxo owners.:devil:

Congrats on the new car, have to say though the looks leave me completely cold!

Looks great to me :D different and cool too. I don't see what there is to dislike about Mini though i have several friends with them and they all love them, actually i think they are a little chintzy inside. I know a young lady with a Mini diesel and her car is great, very cheap to run! made in Stallag Oxford too so i guess some of it is British. Citroen may be open to dealing and discounting (as they always have done in the past) in the coming months, if they do it will affect residuals but if they don't it may be better for you.
I will stick to my old C Class, it's cost me nothing in the last 2 years so this year i'm expecting a few £ outlay for the mot.

I think these look fantastics, and would have one over a mini anyday.

Good reviews from the motoring press and i like the black wheels, is she sure she wants to go white?

If i was 10 years younger i'd be buying one of these:

Citroen DS3 Racing for Geneva 2010 | evo

Attachments

• car_photo_356926_7.jpg
    car_photo_356926_7.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 106
I like it for being different but wouldn't choose one myself...

We liked the mini 4wd estate as the Geneva show, think thats my mums next car as she currently has a cooper and dad will use it for the winter french trips.

I suspect it will take a much bigger hit when you come to sell it....but enjoy it.

That is a cooling looking car, love the interior. Regards the
wheels in black... I really like them.

Hope it stays reliable and well built.

Enjoy...'till the new C63 arrives.

Tan

If the little citroens are getting the image of max power saxo's then watch out with you new C63....

I've heared there getting a bit of a reputation for 25year old cap wearing young men, doing burn outs at the lights :) :)

:)

Love these, drove my mate's 1.6HDi one, before and after I'd remapped it for her, and even without the remap, they're very good cars, handling is better than any Bini Mini, and she's also had a lot of comments (including one from me) about how good the build quality is. It's a few months old now and nothing's gone wrong...

Love the Pandaskin interior. Not too keen on the exterior looks, but that could be said about most new cars today. Citroen quality has most certainly improved, and good to hear feedback on the C6 - a friend has wanted one for some time but has held off, so I might remind him. I doubt he would buy new, but the new 3 litre diesel as fitted to the Jaguar XF would be a serious motor.

Looks really good IMO, nice alternative to the MINI.

With the residuals, I suspect they will be just as good as the MINI. Its a small desirable car and Citroen dealers will not be heavily discounting it and dumping loads on the market like they do with the Xsara Picasso etc. Certainly the CAP forcasts look good, and the similar MiTo and 500 have held onto values extremely well.

Looks nice :)

takes me back about 12 years to a Saxo VTS with a giant sub in the boot ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom