• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

K&N’s on M157?

c3nturi0n

Car
CLS63 Shooting Brake
My car is not due for a service anytime soon. However i’ve been thinking of replacing my oem air filters with either bmc or k&n.

I wonder if they are a ‘worthy mod’ to M157’s?

Worth considering bmc or k&n performance filters. Hard bit is the maintenance though which isn't difficult but is a messy task in the sink. K&n do cleaning and oiling kit for maintenance, which is useful. Hope this video content helps 👍

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

General consensus is that unless you have a very modified car the air filter will not be the cause of any restrictions and so won’t offer any meaningful benefit/

However “free flowing” air filters do allow more dust, dirt and debris through into the air box and therefore the engine which is a meaningful drawback.

Whether than benefit is worth the drawback is down to individual preference and attitude to risk, and most people therefore don’t take the risk.

Just looking at Weistec, they do their own branded filters but rather expensive though.

Maybe contact our friends at MSL for advise and guidance? 🤗

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Waste of time.......it might flow more air theoretically.....but it flows more dust too. As for any restrictions in a factory air box or paper filter (well its not 1985!).....well it can flow way more air than the car can use at peak revs....so its certainly not restriction until that point or in normal road driving.....you would need a heavy tune to reach the flow limits....and there are 900hp V8 AMG cars with stock filters. I bought my jeep with a K and N drop in panel filter....up stream was covered in very fine silty dust....never happened with a paper filter....don't want that stuff in my motor thanks. Also they only flow more air when clean....they block much quicker than paper filters. See this link....interesting reading....you need to click the "read more" button so see the feature in full.

I had the Weistic ones in the E63, tbh, I had K&N's in my E55 which I understand are still going today 12 odd years down the road without any issues.

Its only the older cars with the MAF sensors that had issues previously.

I opened up to see the inside of my air intake box. After some 6k miles, was expecting at least some little soot but no evidence on the filtered side or inside of the housing. I wiped with tissue, no evidence.

The pre filter side had some black soot, which I noted and cleaned up. You can see the black soot on the tissue. No sand or visible particles within the housing on the prefilter side. I suppose if the vehicle was driven in a dustier climate say a desert, probably will see something. The last photo is the underside of the filter, which was dirty.

Looking to upgrade to some Weistec filters in the near future to the dry version if they do them. Hopefully my friends from MSL can guide on this.

20220310_135712.jpg
20220310_135727.jpg20220310_135735.jpg

I will check mine at the wekeend.

ps. ECP and CP4L do some very good deals on 'performance filters'... c. £100ish for the set.
Yes I've noticed they have some good deals there. I get my service parts, engine oil, antifreeze, screenwash etc from them and for my other cars too.

'Performance' cotton gauze ( bandage material ) air filters , it doesn't matter if they are silver grey , blue , red or green , they are no upgrade as they filter poorly and it's not hard to see why .

Screenshot_20211209-210802_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210327-060539_Chrome.jpg

To think otherwise is learning difficulties level.

They no way match the surface area and media material of OE .

Screenshot_20211204-123951_Gallery.jpg
D2BEEADD-185E-4817-852C-12FEF786B79F.jpeg

2019-01-05 10.39.49.png

OP, do you really think that an AMG engine comes with in any way inadequate filtration as standard? Really?
Please re-read the original post, eg. Q was is it a worthy mod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom