Lease return - Will MB charge for non-premium tyres?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If we are talking about a new MB it would almost certainly be a premium tyre. During my 40 years in the Contract Hire industry whenever we ordered a new vehicle we always insisted the vehicle was shod with Michelin because it was in our own interest too :)

Yet we had a massive barney with the supplier of our fully maintained company lease vehicles as they were replacing the OEM tyres with Firestone's which were absolutely rock hard and had hopeless wet grip. But of course lastd for ever. They said "they're BSxxxx approved and we can fit whatever we like - if you don't like it, pay for for your own tyres."

Oh, and putting part-worns on lease cars before they go back is absolutely standard practice. I thin the OPs point is it's a bit pointless to drive around on budget tyres now, only to put good tyres on to send it back, but if he's bought the budget tyres he can't really reverse that. Buying premium tyres now as well would be a bit bonkers.

OP: What have you bought? Some mid-range tyres are well regarded now and names that you think of as mid-range can be OEM fitment.

Last edited:
I was told upon leasing my last car that the car must be returned with premium tyres or charges will apply. The car came with Bridgestones but the sales rep told me any premium make would do.

Also i wonder why you would fit crappy tyres to your car anyways?

Yet we had a massive barney with the supplier of our fully maintained company lease vehicles as they were replacing the OEM tyres with Firestone's which were absolutely rock hard and had hopeless wet grip. But of course lastd for ever. They said "they're BSxxxx approved and we can fit whatever we like - if you don't like it, pay for for your own tyres."

Oh, and putting part-worns on lease cars before they go back is absolutely standard practice. I thin the OPs point is it's a bit pointless to drive around on budget tyres now, only to put good tyres on to send it back, but if he's bought the budget tyres he can't really reverse that. Buying premium tyres now as well would be a bit bonkers.

OP: What have you bought? Some mid-range tyres are well regarded now and names that you think of as mid-range can be OEM fitment.
There is a formal code of practice that they should all follow but it is obviously subject to each company’s interpretation unfortunately. The more reputable Contract Hire companies would generally try and adhere to the code, however there are always exceptions sadly :(

I do not think a lot of people understand the leasing criteria. They seem to think that you treat the car any way you like for 3 years (or what ever your lease is) hand it back & get another. Not so, someone comes to your house & spends a considerable amount of time going over the car checking basically everything. He then goes over anything he has found that is not up to spec. They allow for some minor things. I am pretty OCD but on my last S class he showed me a small paintwork blemish on the passenger door that you could only see looking down the length of the car. Looks like someone had brushed past it with a bag or briefcase. I had never noticed it even though the car was washed every week. There was also a faint dye transfer on the drivers seat that you would be hard pressed to see. He allowed me these two items as the rest of the car was immaculate. He then left & the car was picked up by someone else the next day. They don't miss a thing. Some people must get quite a shock after he is finished. Can't comment on your tyres but from what I have seen you may be caught out. If you are it will not be Kwikfit prices but whatever they say with Mercedes "tax"
Exactly my experience too. When I returned my Audi A6 Avant in 2020 (terminating PCP agreement), one of the key fobs had no battery - which I was told I would be charged for if I sent it back like that. Thankfully I had one, but I shudder to think how much I would have been stung for.

I lease an Audi and it’s due to go back next year. I treat the car with kid gloves. It will go back with the exact same Make of tyres with which it arrived (Pirelli). Every little thing will have been attended to and it is in nigh on showroom condition. It’s a contract. The contract states what the return conditions are and you have to honour your side of the deal. If you don’t like the contract, don’t lease a car. Simple. Remember the car is not yours. You just borrowed it from the owner for a few years. Look at it like that and it makes perfect sense.

I do not think a lot of people understand the leasing criteria. They seem to think that you treat the car any way you like for 3 years (or what ever your lease is) hand it back & get another. Not so, someone comes to your house & spends a considerable amount of time going over the car checking basically everything. He then goes over anything he has found that is not up to spec. They allow for some minor things. I am pretty OCD but on my last S class he showed me a small paintwork blemish on the passenger door that you could only see looking down the length of the car. Looks like someone had brushed past it with a bag or briefcase. I had never noticed it even though the car was washed every week. There was also a faint dye transfer on the drivers seat that you would be hard pressed to see. He allowed me these two items as the rest of the car was immaculate. He then left & the car was picked up by someone else the next day. They don't miss a thing. Some people must get quite a shock after he is finished. Can't comment on your tyres but from what I have seen you may be caught out. If you are it will not be Kwikfit prices but whatever they say with Mercedes "tax"
Yep - My son leases all his cars - MB even supply a little gauge to help you measure the depths of dings that will be accepatble or not and there is mention of how many are acceptable. Lease companies have to allow for normal wear and tear but they are quite strict.

Re the tyres - people do stuff like swapping the premium tyres (before returning the lease car) for their mate's plastic tyres......

Yep - My son leases all his cars - MB even supply a little gauge to help you measure the depths of dings that will be accepatble or not and there is mention of how many are acceptable. Lease companies have to allow for normal wear and tear but they are quite strict.

Re the tyres - people do stuff like swapping the premium tyres (before returning the lease car) for their mate's plastic tyres......
There is a significant difference between Fair Wear and Tear and Abuse. Swapping tyres to 'Plastic Tyres' or knackered tyres from your mates car is all part of that abuse and was not tolerated even in my day and was re-charged. :rolleyes:

I have zero sympathy for anyone 'using and abusing' a lease/PCP car. If you sign a contract, all the info is there in black and white. If you choose to ignore it, its at your risk and your dollar - make no mistake, they will extract excess charges from you, one way or the other. As someone else said, you are simply looking after someone else's car - not difficult to understand is it?

I have zero sympathy for anyone 'using and abusing' a lease/PCP car. If you sign a contract, all the info is there in black and white. If you choose to ignore it, its at your risk and your dollar - make no mistake, they will extract excess charges from you, one way or the other. As someone else said, you are simply looking after someone else's car - not difficult to understand is it?
Exactly, they are offering a service that suits your pocket and all they want to do is abuse the provider. Shame they don’t run a black book to stop those types from being able to get another Lease/PCP

Exactly, they are offering a service that suits your pocket and all they want to do is abuse the provider. Shame they don’t run a black book to stop those types from being able to get another Lease/PCP
Probably the only way that would happen, is if you end up in court over non-payment of excess charges and they find in favour of the lessor. Which I think is a CCJ and then its au revoir to your credit rating.

There is a significant difference between Fair Wear and Tear and Abuse. Swapping tyres to 'Plastic Tyres' or knackered tyres from your mates car is all part of that abuse and was not tolerated even in my day and was re-charged. :rolleyes:
Exactly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom