• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Low mileage s211 value and best insurance

Smiley

MB Enthusiast
Earlier this year I decided not to buy a newer s213 and instead bought an older s211 - it's an early 211, e320cdi, late 2003, 43k miles from new, tealite blue, high spec with distronic cruise control, 4 zone climate, leather, 10 speaker HK system, heated seats etc etc. The interior is like a 2 yr old car, pretty much like new, the bodywork is not far behind - one or two minor blemishes and looks more like a 2 or 3 yr old car not 20 yrs old. In other words it is a rare find. At the moment it is insured on a standard car insurance policy - a family member is having problems with insurance following a no fault accident and it has made me think that I really need agreed value insurance.
I am looking for others' experiences of agreed value policies and the pros/cons - do I need an "official" valuation from a club or will the insurer be happy with photos?
And secondly what is the value? Clearly I paid a lot more than an average 211 but then it is not an average 20yr old car.
All advice welcome

To be brutally honest a S211 E320 CDI is never going to be worth much regardless of mileage. If it was an E55k then that’s different.

I agree with you, it is not worth big money but on the other hand it is worth more than an average high mileage 211. I bought it as an alternative to an adblue equipped 213 and decided it was better to pay an occasional clean air zone charge rather than have adblue and nox sensor hassles. I had not given the insurance much of a thought until a family member had issues with an insurance claim on a 2 yr old car and it made me think.

I agree with you, it is not worth big money but on the other hand it is worth more than an average high mileage 211. I bought it as an alternative to an adblue equipped 213 and decided it was better to pay an occasional clean air zone charge rather than have adblue and nox sensor hassles. I had not given the insurance much of a thought until a family member had issues with an insurance claim on a 2 yr old car and it made me think.
What’s it going to be worth as far as the insurance company are concerned £2000 ?? I know thats not what you paid for it , but the insurance company won’t cover it for that price .

I did the same this Spring with a 2009 E500 S211, for all the same reasons.

I declared the value as what I paid for it, knowing I have that receipt.

Do I care? Nope. I haven't claimed for damage to my vehicle in 48 years. How often have you claimed?

This is an issue for the arcane stuff, not for us. Maybe like Rowan Atkinson's 500E

Screenshot 2023-06-19 at 09.48.35.png

Maybe you're right - I last made a claim years ago. As my insurance is due next month I thought it was worth looking to see if there is an agreed value policy that's available without too many hoops to go through. Here it is

Attachments

• 001r.jpg
    001r.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
  • 003r.jpg
    003r.jpg
    890.9 KB · Views: 19
Such a great colour !
For what it’s worth, I use Aviva for our three cars. Excellent automated system, good customer service and seems competitive.

But everything varies according to circumstance

You could try Chrisknott.co.uk for agreed value. They cover our 2003 CLK on an agreed value policy via LV. It's only a 200k but low mileage and high spec. They valued it based on photos every second year. It's covered for £6000 whereas wbac says about £1000. The only stipulation is that if it's at your home address overnight it must be garaged.

Interesting as I did the same thing 2 years ago and bought an S211 wagon with 2 owners from new [one for 6 months, the other for the rest of its life]. It had 42k on the clock when I bought it, FSH, and it feels, looks and drives like a new car. As far as valuations go, I don't have an agreed valuation on the insurance - and values depend on who you ask as other posters have mentioned. You can still see occasional very low mileage examples on autotrader for £7, 8k which I presume must be selling, but I think the new ULEZ ruling will probably have a negative effect on older cars - mine is a 2008 c220cdi and it's only euro 4. Mine is also one of the last facelift models with avantgarde spec, I suspect that would also have a bearing on value versus an earlier model.

So had my renewal in from Axa , last year I paid £676, renewal came in at £1034, (£358 increase), have 19 years NCB which is protected + legal cover, I live in inner London.

Went on the comparison website as always, but the cheapest one was 1450 from admiral little box, whoever they are, and the second cheapest was quote me happy at 1654.

So got on the blower to Axa, to see if there was any movement, increased the VE from £350 to £500, and the lady gave me a further discount, which reduced the renewal price to £911. So an increase of £234, compared to the initial £358. Which in the end is some sort of result.

They are old cars, just insurance it be done with it.

I just insured my W211 E55 for £254… don’t know why your quotes are so high.

Sorry but still seems too dear to me.

I'm just over £600 for my 2008 E500 "worth £12k" and an Mx5, just beyond the South Circular, with the E500 insured for European touring.

No claims, highest voluntary excess (because I don't have claims), no legal insurance (because it's a rip off).

All done with Aviva.

just beat me then, £259 this year for mine, S211 E55, with mods declared. Perks of being an oldie..
Ah, but perhaps you have a woman on the side?

Ah, but perhaps you have a woman on the side?
"For elimination of doubt," the insurance premium usually goes down if there's a female as a second driver.

Makes no sense that I can think of, but 'tis a valid generalisation.

(Along with limited annual mileage, which hasn't been mentioned here)

Mine’s the same, unless she has to, but the general rule appears to be that a woman, or geriatric, on the policy reduces the risk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom