• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

M104 2.8 Engine - head condition

IainB

Car
W220 S55
Popped the rocker cover off the engine im selling and found this....

Head.jpg

close up of the cam lobes

Cam.jpg

To me, this looks to be in very good condition, I couldnt see any wear on the lobes at all and the head has a very light gold colour.

2 questions - would you guess that this is a recent replacement? (we didnt have any history with the car) is the M104 head used on anything other than the W202 series and would this head be better sold individually, if so, any ideas of what its worth? Actually thats 3 questions (if not 4!)

Might have to delve a bit further into this motor now, things just arent adding up for me :confused:

Nearly forgot are these std exhaust manifolds as well? They look like nothing Ive seen before?

This engine is also used in the W124 E280, my car has identical exhaust manifolds. The condition of the head is not unusual, and does not necessarily denote a recent replacement. It's one of the reasons that MB have (or had) a reputation for excellent engineering and longevity.

This engine is also used in the W124 E280, my car has identical exhaust manifolds. The condition of the head is not unusual, and does not necessarily denote a recent replacement. It's one of the reasons that MB have (or had) a reputation for excellent engineering and longevity.

Thanks Dave,
Only ask as the Rover V8's Ive played with over the years have all had discoloured alloy after 'x' amount of miles, the colour im seeing here would be <6k miles usually and I would have expected it to be a bit darker for a car of this year / mileage.
The lobes also look like new, again for a 1994 car I would have expected some wear visible, but the finger nail test didnt pick up on anything.
Ive said it all along since working on this car though, the engineering has been brilliant :D

That engine has been well looked after. It smacks or frequent oil changes and is a credit to the owner.

That engine has been well looked after. It smacks or frequent oil changes and is a credit to the owner.

I would agree with you Ian. If you look in one that has had infrequent oil changes it is alot darker brown colour.

Thanks Dave,
Only ask as the Rover V8's Ive played with over the years have all had discoloured alloy after 'x' amount of mile

The only similarity between a Rover (Buick) V8 and a Mercedes 280 engine is that they both burn petrol

Actually that's not entirely true: Rover V8s only burn about half the petrol they use - the rest comes out of the tailpipe untouched

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Totally agree Nick :D
The 215 is a very old design, but its what I cut my teeth on engine wise, so they will always have a place close to me :)
Thanks for your input everyone, as always, much appreciated

It might even be the same head as used on all the W124 3.2 litre cars and also the W210 straight six engines.

They are the same 104 engines except for the stroke making them 2.8 instead of 3.2 litres. The bore is the same on 2.8 and 3.2 engines.

I do not know if there is any difference in valve sizes off the top of my head. (no pun intended)

I was told by a German engineer that there differences between the 280 and 320 are considerable. He said bore & stroke were both different but maybe I misunderstood him. Evidently the valve timing is different

It goes some way to explaining how different the engines are in their power delivery

Also interesting that on a US site it shows a head, complete with inlet manifold & etc, being lifted off with a crane. I suspect the complete head is not light - although a bare head casting may be

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Last edited:
Those cam lobes look like how quality engineered ones should on a well looked-after engine.
I was impressed with the state of my 230 when i saw them,175,000 miles,oil changed every 6K and the cam still looked mint.

I recently took the head off my Jaguar, 175000 miles and this also looked in mint condition, no wear, no carbon deposits, even the valve clearances were all ok, frequent oil changes are the key here, coupled of course with a well engineered engine kept in tune.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom