• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

M156 Cam Adjuster plates

C63Mike89

Car
C63 W204 AMG
I have ordered 4x cam adjuster plates for my C63 2014 w204 with new pins and springs from 63 motorsports and a camshaft locking tool specifically for a m156 engine.

To that end I am trying to find a noddy video that goes from setting up the timing tool to fitting the new adjusters but every video I find just presumes you’re a mechanic and skips bits which would probably be very important. Does anybody have a good go to video?

I’m not a mechanic but I did manage to replace my own clutch in my daily Ford focus last week which took me about 16 hours 😂.

On my c63 I have changed my own serpentine belt, pulleys spark plugs and I remove and replaced all my fuel injectors so I’m not going into this job totally unprepared.

To that end any help would be really appreciated I can’t find anything for a first time who’s never don’t engine work before or used shaft locking tools etc.

Any help appreciated.

Its a doddle, not difficult. We can help you through the process and give you tips and advice along the way 😁 Would recommend you take some time to watch these videos, a few times to familiar yourself with the components and what to expect.

You'll need a timing tool as rightly pointed out and some fresh gasket for the front timing and camshaft covers. Will need tort bit set, some T30 and shorty ones too for removing the screws that hold the top covers. 1/4", 3/4", 1/2" wrench, small and large torque wrench range 10NM, 20NM, 90NM. Will also need 4x diamond washers and new phaser bolts from MB.

The most important thing is the timing, it must be set at 40 degrees and locked with the timing tool. Once it's locked, you can then safely remove the camshaft adjusters.

I have added a link to timing tool tool from Toolhub, I have this it has the Aus and IN markings 👆

Added links to some useful videos, they are all good in their own rights. Have a look through and feel free to fire away on questions, this will be the best way to prepare in advance. Also added link to thread, when I did mine.

TIPS: use original pins as they are already mated to the aviators and rarely wear. Check internal condition to make sure the aviators and outer plates are good to start with, mainly looking out for overall condition and keeping an eye out for scorching 👍🙂

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Its a doddle, not difficult. We can help you through the process and give you tips and advice along the way 😁 Would recommend you take some time to watch these videos, a few times to familiar yourself with the components and what to expect.

You'll need a timing tool as rightly pointed out and some fresh gasket for the front timing and camshaft covers. Will need tort bit set, some T30 and shorty ones too for removing the screws that hold the top covers. 1/4", 3/4", 1/2" wrench, small and large torque wrench range 10NM, 20NM, 90NM. Will also need 4x diamond washers and new phaser bolts from MB.

The most important thing is the timing, it must be set at 40 degrees and locked with the timing tool. Once it's locked, you can then safely remove the camshaft adjusters.

I have added a link to timing tool tool from Toolhub, I have this it has the Aus and IN markings 👆

Added links to some useful videos, they are all good in their own rights. Have a look through and feel free to fire away on questions, this will be the best way to prepare in advance. Also added link to thread, when I did mine.

TIPS: use original pins as they are already mated to the aviators and rarely wear. Check internal condition to make sure the aviators and outer plates are good to start with, mainly looking out for overall condition and keeping an eye out for scorching 👍🙂

I appreciate the help!

So far I have ordered the stage 1 with 4 camshaft adjusters and the timing tool. (Not arrived yet)

I have just been out to look at the car and visibly got eyes on that white mark and the that line which sticks out just behind that little pulley which if I was correct is actually part of the engine casing right? Sort of sticks out vertically and is to the right of the white mark.

Would this be the correct order to do things

1) remove the camshaft covers on both sides

2) Using a 27mm socket and long ratchet rotate clockwise till that white mark is vertically under that prominent line which is actually part of the engine case just behind the little pulley. *** did you have to remove the spark plugs to be able to move this???)

3) undo the two clips on the front of each crankshaft housings (the two end bits closer to the bumper) and the 5 bolts holding it on each side. Remove both.

5) place the rear camshaft timing lock in to place

4) put the timing lock which goes just behind the camshaft adjusters (the side facing the windscreen)

5) add the front timing plate

When it comes to removing the camshaft adjuster housings do I do one at a time so I can use that gear lock tool? Take it off do the replacement, put it back on with the serial numbers facing up and put the front timing tool back on and torque it all up.

Sleep eat repeat one by one till all 4 are done?

Other questions I have are what’s the product number for the bolts because I am under the illusion they are torque to spec, do you know what Nm? Do I have to use loctite?

Can the bolts on the actual adjuster (5 I think each) just be re used? Also what Nm should they be torqued too I have seen people say 14.7 I see some say 19….

Another question I have is the washers, I saw one video not one you posted where a guy put what looked like red lube behind it before putting it in the camshaft adjuster housing what was this and do I need it.

Following on from that last question is there any other pastes or grease etc that I need to do this job and if so where does it go and how much.

I see a lot of people using some sort of marker pens or paint, is this useful what are they actually using and does it need to be removed after it’s all reassembled (if it needs removing how ?)

I am sorry this message seems all over the place, I won’t actually be carrying out this work till the Xmas holidays so for now I want to try my best to make a really simple step by step guide that a monkey would be able to follow and take this time to watch many videos and also make sure I have all the tools for the job before I start so I don’t have the engine open longer than required.

I also have questions about the tappers but I don’t think ill have the balls to do them because it looks like you need to actually remove the camshafts to get to them which scares the sh1t out of me if I mess up the timing and this process is all about saving money not messing up and then having to pay a professional who will charge thousands 😅.

Am I right in thinking just replacing the camshaft adjusters is a doddle if I don’t go any further like trying to do the tappers on top of this?

Just read through, looks like you have done your research there 👍

As you are working with 1 timing tool, you can work one side at a time, I.e. start with bank 1 and when finished move tool over to bank 2.

To start, disconnect earth from the battery.

Remove the radiator fan to allow you better access. It will allow you more space to get your sockets in to rotate the crankshaft.

To remove camshaft cover, undo the screws, the ones at the bottom side are hard to reach and you may need a shorty T30 along with 1/4" ratchet. Remove all screws and place in envelopes so they don't get lost.

Now for the timing, its very important to make sure the mark on the engine casing (as you rightly pointed out) which hides behind the ancillary pulley is aligned with the 40 degree mark on the crank pulley. The crank pulley is numbered, has 40 written on it. Rotate clockwise until the 40 degree mark aligns with the mark in the casting. There is no need to remove the ancillary belt or ancillary pulleys or spark plugs. Just rotate steadily with a firm grip on the breaker bar.

Once aligned, take the tool that inserts to the rear of the camshafts. It fits only 1 way, so if it does not fit, then rotate the crank 1 further revolution again TDC, making sure the 40 degree mark on the crank pulley aligns with the mark on the casting. Once the tool slides in at the rear, you can then proceed to remove the front timing cover. Yes there are 2 black connectors that need unclipping, they connect to the camshaft position sensors. There are 2 sensors on each side, one is for the intake position and the other is for the exhaust position.

Undo the 5 front screws and carefully pull forward the timing cover away from the head. At this time you will have some small amount of oil spillage, so I recommend placing an old cotton rag underneath to catch spillage especially protecting the alternator as you go.

Once you remove place to a side and then you may proceed to attach the timing tool to the front. Use the screws from the timing cover to fit the tool. Then finally inset the camshaft lock tool to fixed the camshaft in place, again using screws from the timing cover.

Once all locked, you can then and only then undo the phaser bolts.

Torque settings:

Timing covers 10NM
(Do not over torque, risk cracking the casing)

Camshaft adjuster screws 20NM
(Do not over torque, risk stretching the bolts) Apply a tiny amount of lock thread.

Phaser bolts 90NM then a further 90 degree turn
( Do not use thread lock, use new bolts and diamond washers when reassembling).

Useful tips:

With regards to the camshaft adjuster, inspect internally and also the aviators to make sure there are no scoring or damage to adjuster. The overall condition must be good.

With regard to the 63motorsport. They provide 4 replacement hardened plates. Two for the intakes and other 2 are for the exhaust. Make sure not to mix them up and familiarise yourself with the contents. They also supply pins. Use the OEM pins as they are already mated to the aviators and move more freely.

Now for the camshaft adjuster:

With the timing tool kit amongst the various bits, there will be a small screw like locking device. This small device is used to lock the camshaft adjuster. You need to install this lock before you remove the camshaft adjuster. The camshaft adjuster has a small amount of backlash. Please watch Tasos video regarding the backlash and teeth. Hopefully should make sense but let me know if unclear.

This video is good, explains about the backlash in the gear.

This video gives a good insight too.

This video is good, explains about the backlash in the gear.

This video gives a good insight too.

Honestly I am so grateful for the time and effort you’re putting into the replies. I’m feeling way more confident about doing all this work knowing I got some really smart people on here willing to help out! Sure I will have more questions before getting round to doing this but what a head start this is!

Do the camshaft cover t30 screws also get torqued to 10Nm like the timing cover and do I need to add any grease or lube to the diamond washers when replacing or add any grease/lube to anything else?

And last question is it advisable to use paint while doing this to mark stuff and if so what would you advise using?

You sir are a legend!!

Camshaft covers no more than 10NM, otherwise will risk forming a crack to the plastic or magnesium covers.

No grease needed whatsoever but you do need new diamond washers and new phaser bolts from MB.

As its your first time, feel free to use paint (tippex pen) to mark the componets and relevant positioning but remember to wipe off afterwards.

The job should take about 3 hours each side or less. 👍

Lots of useful info in this thread........I have someone who wants me to do theirs (early E63 212 ).....but I don't really do much driveway work anymore....not enough free time. I used to have a car in bits on the drive most Sundays (mostly ALFAs).....much to the delight of my old neighbours and Mrs AI!!. But I might do it....extra beer money at this time of year always comes in useful!!

I just bought 4x A1560510275 camshaft washers from eBay, had to buy from separate sellers and ended up spending about £100

I can’t find a good place to buy these phaser bolts online or do I have to go to a Mercedes garage? I’d rather buy online if possible as the closest Mercedes garage is about 70 miles away.

Can anyone send me a link? All I can find is expensive weistec ones and I probably don’t need something that robust.

I do have a stage 1 tune by MSL to bring it to over 500bhp but I’m sure standard will do right ?

Try Mercedes Newcastle and Mercedes Edinburgh as both have eBay shops and will deliver. You may have to send them a message to get them to list the item you require though

^^^ X2 Edinburgh or Newcastle MB, order parts using your chassis number. They are very good, have brought service items and engine oil from them. Fast delivery too. 👍

Thank you for the tip message Mercedes Edinburgh on eBay, got 4 camshaft bolts getting sent to my home address for £37 inc delivery! I should have ordered the washers from them too but you live and learn. Thank you!

Do you have the gaskets for the front timing and camshaft covers? These are dealership parts too

Oh no I didn’t even realise I needed to buy new ones, I only have on order the washers, camshaft bolts and adjusters.

Will need new ones friend, the front timing gaskets are non sided, so the left will work on the right but the top covers are different and have their own part numbers. Expect to pay about 2x £8 for front and about 2x £18 for top gaskets.

Don't think you'll need anything else from the dealership. You can gently hand wash and reuse the spark plug seals, wash in Fairy Liquid 👍

Will need new ones friend, the front timing gaskets are non sided, so the left will work on the right but the top covers are different and have their own part numbers. Expect to pay about 2x £8 for front and about 2x £18 for top gaskets.

Don't think you'll need anything else from the dealership. You can gently hand wash and reuse the spark plug seals, wash in Fairy Liquid 👍

Just to confirm torque specs you mentioned as I found conflicting results.

Camshaft cover 10Nm
Timing Cover 10Nm
Camshaft bolt 90Nm followed by 90 degree turn

I found these M156 engine build docs on the forum

They say Camshaft covers 10Nm
Timing cover 20Nm
Camshaft bolt 45Nm followed by 90degree turn

Have you got updated specs?

Here is a link to the two docs, torque specs are at the bottom of each page.

Cover and camshaft bolt https://mbworld.org/forums/attachme...-needed-remove_install-camshaft-adjusters.pdf

Timing cover

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom