• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

M157 Air Filters

Cyclone1

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W218 CLS63 S AMG
I’ve been searching for a replacement air filter for my CLS for a while, that is the same or similar to the one that comes with the UPD Intake Kit that I had fitted to my previous CLS. The filter supplied with the UPD kit is a cotton gauze type, and whilst similar to a K&N, it is shallower in depth. This means that once fitted it creates a larger area under the filter in the air box, theoretically meaning it should flow incoming air more efficiently.

Anyway, I spotted some Ramair Proram panel filters at £78 for the pair. They look incredibly similar to the UPD filters. I did a none scientific flow test and they flow better than the OEM paper filters. Importantly they are much shallower than the OEM filters (and K&N), seem to be extremely well made and fit perfectly.

The performance gains will be marginal. But based on my past experiences with my previous CLS I think it’s worth it. Plus these can be removed and washed, then reused. At the price point I’d have these over the other after market filters (that’s not to say the others aren’t any good, as they probably are).

Hope it’s of help.

2CDADC38-2733-4455-B35E-3A4AC25144F6.jpegAA3BB5DE-FA9F-429C-B25F-4778BD18E2D8.jpeg018DB34E-1527-4DE8-A876-BEA22AC533D5.jpeg6622CE26-AC8B-4B0C-B906-742B98819306.jpegE7382FEF-51AB-4533-AD8F-5F8D4BC948AB.jpegF1125730-958C-48CE-8B80-ADE3D35C2D5A.jpeg

Could I have the part number please, thanks 👍

Part number is PPF-9764

Looks like I bought them on offer as they are now £88. I bought them via EBay and after saving them as “watching”, received a buyers discount offer. Worth a try.

Part number is PPF-9764

Looks like I bought them on offer as they are now £88. I bought them via EBay and after saving them as “watching”, received a buyers discount offer. Worth a try.
Thanks buddy, service is due soon, will get these. 👍

At half the thickness (if paper pleated) they would probably have half of the surface area as the taller ones = more restriction to air flow . But as the thinner 'K&N' type are practically wide open pore they will flow more air I guess.

We all know this is an 'emotive' subject so expect more comments below 🔽 ☺️

More air....along with rather more dust....cant beat physics. In not aware of them being at all restricted with the stock boxes and filters to br honest....if they can flow enough air for peak revs then there will be more than enough for the rest of the time.
This is good reading...

At half the thickness (if paper pleated) they would probably have half of the surface area as the taller ones = more restriction to air flow . But as the thinner 'K&N' type are practically wide open pore they will flow more air I guess.

We all know this is an 'emotive' subject so expect more comments below 🔽 ☺️
Yes totally agree it’s an emotive subject and also get why many owners would choose to stay with the standard set up and paper OEM filters. When I ran both or my previous CLS55’s I saw no benefit at the time of switching away from OEM, as the cost of these filters was at times 2 for £10, so was happy to remove them every 6 months and replace.

I’ve tried to answer both replies (ALFAitalia also) below so as not to have two separate posts.

It can be an emotive subject through miss information and in many cases interpretation. That’s for sure. I am very comfortable that switching out to the filter I have done will be of no detriment to the engine or the way it runs. This is based on quite a lot of in depth experience with the M157 and also the M113k. I also helped develop a full induction system for another brand of car nearly 20 years ago and this included designing a new filter.

Paper filters have to have more surface area compared to filters of another media, simply because they have a greater PPI (pores per inch).

Many “cotton” type gauze filters (although not always actual cotton), still have a pleated surface area, albeit not as much as paper due to having a lower PPI.

You then have Foam Filters. These are mainly not pleated and have a flat surface area, this offers the lowest surface area, but they also tend to have the lowest PPI rating, thus allowing slightly larger micro particles through the media.

The theory is quite straight forward that the more restrictive the media is to allow air to flow through it, the more surface area you need to match the flow rate of a media, which allows more air to flow through per equal area.

Oil is often added to foam filters to offset the higher porosity of the media. This can also in some cases have a negative impact as it clogs and can transfer oil to certain sensors etc. Oil can be used on some of the cotton type filters.

Does switching away from OEM paper filters offer a performance gain on a standard map? Marginal I’d say. Does it increase the risk of micro particles getting into the engine then theoretically yes. More so on foam filters that require oil and are not oiled once cleaned. However, are these particles of detriment to the internals of an engine? Then this is contentious as depending on each application it could vary. Certainly in the world of M157 engined cars I have not read about engine failure due to long term use of K&N, Pipercross, Green Cotton, Weistec, BMC etc. There have been issues with fitment of the odd aftermarket filter but this is a different issue, where the rubber structure around the filter has disintegrated, this can happen on any type of filter.

With regard to the increase in volumetric area inside the air box created as a result of fitting a shallower type filter, then in my opinion it offers theoretical increased flow due to less restriction. This is as standard or as mapped. Again the improvement is negligible and for many owners not necessary, but as the ECU will adapt as it detects increased airflow, it will not result in a negative impact or running issues. This was proven when I did a lot of upgrade work on my last CLS. Plus is why many of the aftermarket Tuners offer larger capacity intake systems for the M157. Like I said in my initial post, any gains just by adding a shallower filter on a standard engine (Ceteris Parabis - all
Other things being equal) are absolutely marginal. The benefit for me is the ability to flow more air with less restriction, which the ECU compensates for and in my opinion has to be a benefit.

Owners can choose whatever they like and that it absolutely fine.

For me I’m will run the filters for a while and see how they perform. I’ll check and see how clean they are after a couple of months. The OEM ones were quite dirty and have only been installed for 1500 miles.

Jules

Does it increase the risk of micro particles getting into the engine then theoretically yes.
Oil analysis will tell you one way or the other...
. However, are these particles of detriment to the internals of an engine?
If dirt in oil was a good idea all oil manufacturers would add it during production.
Then this is contentious as depending on each application it could vary. Certainly in the world of M157 engined cars I have not read about engine failure due to long term use of K&N, Pipercross, Green Cotton, Weistec, BMC etc.
Not failure, just premature degradation - loss of compression due to worn rings/bore, oil in combustion chamber due to worn rings/bore lowering detonation threshold and ECU retarding ignition timing to compensate, etc etc, - all of which will rob more power than will ever be gained.

Oil analysis will tell you one way or the other...

If dirt in oil was a good idea all oil manufacturers would add it during production.

Not failure, just premature degradation - loss of compression due to worn rings/bore, oil in combustion chamber due to worn rings/bore lowering detonation threshold and ECU retarding ignition timing to compensate, etc etc, - all of which will rob more power than will ever be gained.
Interesting points on all counts and do not necessarily disagree. If such a poor filter was fitted that allowed particles through, then yes absolutely oil analysis will show a presence.

But like I said we are talking micro particles if any at all that are likely to either not make their way through the filter, the filter in this case being only marginally better flowing than a paper one based on a none scientific test! I would never fit a filter that I believed would allow particles through that cause damage the engine over time.

Likewise dirty filters can also have a negative effect and cause a restriction. The number of excessively dirty filters I’ve seen fitted in cars over then years is frightening. Many owners change them themselves allowing the large amounts of debris, dust, sand etc to fall past the intake. They swap the filter to a new one and refit and do not realise they’ve just let an amount of debris into the intake system. Not all are careful to fully remove and clean a simple filter properly.

Filters, types of oil used, remaps, poor maintenance, ill fitted plugs, packs etc etc can all cause negative issues with cars and engines and in some cases will cause accelerated wear and tear of components, that I fully agree with.

These are all healthy subjects and ones covered many times over the years with various opinions.

Interesting points on all counts and do not necessarily disagree. If such a poor filter was fitted that allowed particles through, then yes absolutely oil analysis will show a presence.
Have the analysis does and you will know - anything else is a mixture of guesswork and wishful thinking.

An engine I ran was plagued with ''dirt in oil - remedial work required'' reported on the oil analysis returns. Stopped when I went back to OEM paper filter.
When that engine was stripped there was no wear on the shells - but light scoring on the bearing journals that if the ingress of dirt had continued would have eventually manifested as wear/damage to the shells.

It's okay to have doubts for reasons stated above 👍

I have k&n panel filter on my m156 and will try Proram filter on my m157 although I heard bmc are also good. They are factory suppliers to Ferrari. I think bmc themselves are an Italian based company although I could be wrong?

@ Cyclone1, have placed an order. Looking forward to installation, will be my first time working on an m157 engine 🙂

Definitely no sand or dirt in mine when I last looked. Wiped the inside of the housing with a tissue, the filter top section was clean but as expected the pre filtered bottom section of housing did contain surface dirt. I doubt performance filters do any harm in all honesty. K&n, bmc, weistec or ramarm are all reputable companies, bmc also supply to Ferrari.

20220310_135712.jpg20220310_135707.jpg20220310_135727.jpg20220310_135735.jpg

Last edited:
Screenshot_2020-03-15-23-51-37.png

2017-10-19 13.27.54.jpg

Stock air filter used here to break a World Record of over 600 bhp and over 1000 Nm !

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Good old Project Farm .
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I seen this on YouTube before that’s why I stay away from induction kits and panel filters, used to run a HKS Mushroom type induction kit on my old mr2 turbo with no issue but the M177 is much more expensive to rebuild if all goes wrong 😂

I was looking at the eventuri induction kits but need someone with one to hold a light behind the filter to see if the light shines through

Knew it !

images
Got mine ready .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom