• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

M157 ticking / tapping

I do worry about those flush's i agree it could help, But wonder what one could do to the Turbo's :/ Just a thought not saying it would harm but worth bearing in mind.

I have the exact sound on my 2015 E63 S. Any mods? I'm stage 2 tuned with full catless downpipes which makes the noise louder than normal. I've brought it up a couple times over the past year while at dealer getting service and no issues. Noise is loudest at the downpipes actually. Was tested with a stethoscope. Barely any noise coming from engine/valve cover. New chain tensioners fixed the start up noise and rattle but im told that small knock is normal, especially on a hot start with thin oil. Downpipes and headers are notorious for ticks and knocks as well. My hunch is the dealer oil/M1 is no good especially for tuned cars in hot weather. Switching to Amsoil 5w-40 Euro formula in a little bit. Much better wear protection in very hot temps. I'm in Arizona. Ill let you know if that does anything to quit the valve train down. All in all, this is 100% normal on these engines. Leave them alone mechanically as much as possible.

I might be tempted to try an additive /cleaner and then drop the oil out in case it is varnish or gunge in a lifter that might be shifted

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
slick 50 would be a good idea.

Unfortunately I think it's a lifter sticking or leaking down. It comes and goes so it isn't a major issue, more of a niggle.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Hi All,

For some time, my E63 has had an intermittent ticking / tapping noise from the driver's side bank. It tends to sound at it's worst when the engine has been run up to temperature, and then left to stand for a while (say 30 minutes) but it is inconsistent, i.e. it's sometimes there sometimes not. When it is present, it sounds really pretty loud outside of the car and is also audible from the inside.

It becomes less apparent at about 1500rpm, and I think it happens less after the engine has been run hard. Is it likely to be a hydraulic tappet that is blocked or leaking?. Or possibly a rocker arm?.

It sounds exactly like this:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
- fast forward to 25 secs

I'm going to have to take it in, I think, as it's getting progressively worse. I have done so in the past and it has been returned with no fault found. Can I get a TIPS case raised? Is there a risk of accelerated wear to the camshaft, valve or rocker if there is excessive clearance and one component is smacking into another causing a knocking noise?.

Regards,
Alex

My E63 has just started making the same noise have you managed to sort this problem or is this normal?

FWIW, both my E63's had exactly the same knock when hot on idle. It never developed into anything.

FWIW, both my E63's had exactly the same knock when hot on idle. It never developed into anything.
I’ve ordered my self some hydraulic lifter additive to see if that can help with the noise as I seen a video on YouTube that some guy used it on his black series c63 and got rid of the sound, the car has just been fully serviced so is the right time to put some in

Read your manual, MB advise not to use.

I’ve ordered my self some hydraulic lifter additive
I was never convinced that it’s a lifter. The knock always sounded to be coming from the crankcase rather than the top end.

Wonder if an outcome was ever reached to determine the root cause?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom