Meeting point of value for CLS55 vs. CLS63?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlanD

Car
CLS55 AMG IWC
As some of you may be aware, I've had my eye out for a CLS55 and have seen fair prices of around £11k for 90-100k miles up to about £15k for 60k miles (good examples with reasonable extras in the right colours). Mostly the prices above that seem to be indy dealers taking the pee. Under that when it's a suspicious quick sale or super high mileage.

Having missed out on a good example that I 90% wanted :fail , I've started to notice the price of some CLS63s creeping into the picture. I've never driven one, so would appreciate some direct comparative feedback. I know the 55 engine as it's the same lump in my C55 but with a pulley attached! I don't know the 63 engine and 7 speed box at all.

It basically appears that £15-18k can get you a reasonable 2007/08/09 CLS63 with 60-80k miles. That's potentially up to 4 years newer for not a huge amount more money.

There doesn't seem to be the same love for that era 63 engine though! :dk:

That's a good point, but not for me. Just makes insurance too much hassle (boring, I know!). So that aside as I'm exceedingly unlikely to tune ..

Not a CLS but when I bought my EClass I test drove a 2006 E63 and a 2005 E55. The way the E55 delivers power when you want it to is so different to the E63. Peak torque is so low on the 55 it's like a bomb going off :eek:
That made my mind up...!
As said tho so tuneable for little money and massive Gains:D:D
Love that Supercharged V8
Lee

I know what you mean .. the 55's supercharger sets 2nd and 3rd on fire. Having only done a couple of test drives and respecting other people's cars, I've not redlined them up and down, but I certainly noticed the difference in torque. However, 4th and 5th pulled almost the same .. I'm sure it's faster on paper, but didn't feel it up there. Also didn't get fast enough to get into high revs in either gear mind you ..

There's a few real life reviews on the net from guys who have gone from 55 to 63 and the differences. Said the 63 was a more refined car, Lexus type over the 55 which was more ruff around the edges, kept you on your toes a bit more....! I'm sure you will be happy with either as your not going down the tuining road.... Both awesome cars straight out of the box...!

I think some of the early '63s had engine issues - probably worth a bit of digging if you're looking at them?

Other than that:
Brakes are more expensive IIRC
An extra £200+ road tax every year if you're going past March 2006
Less torque and low down power (I've not driven one - but on paper I'd think the S/C V8 suits the car better - heavy!)

On top of the extra purchase price? A good few ££££ it seems?

For me the CLS55 is better value. If I was upgrading from a S/C '55 I'd probably be looking at bi-turbos.

If a really nice '63 turned up, I'd still give it consideration though :)

That's a good point, but not for me. Just makes insurance too much hassle (boring, I know!). So that aside as I'm exceedingly unlikely to tune ..

My insurance was cheaper on my c63 on a modified policy as I was considered an enthusiast. Therefore lower risk.

The tyre marks at the roundabout on the Halesowen bypass proved I was a skilled driver :D

Driven both before I purchased my Cls 55 AMG. The 55 has more character when driven imo. The 63 is still a master piece.

Suky Sangha said:
The 55 has more character when driven imo. The 63 is still a master piece.

Disagree

It has more character whilst stationary ;0))

On sound alone , the 63 is just sublime !!!

I recently had a run in an E55 w210 But same engine as yours , as I'd never experienced the stick 55 engine
We then stepped into mine and went a blast - the difference is brutal
I've driven a c63 a but was to long ago to make a
Comparison on both engines.
I do remember the 6.3 was silky smooth around town though.
I appreciate what members have said above about the 5.5k being a little "rougher around the edges" but that is the nature of a s/c car (having owned one previously )

Last edited:
I had a 2007 E63 and loved it.

Currently got a C63 and E63 Biturbo.
The M156 is a masterpiece. test drove the CLS55 and I personally didn't like it.

What's the 7 speed like on twisty mountain roads? Is it irritating and forcing constant change or no torque, or does it "work"? Basically with the 55, you just use 2nd and 3rd alone for acceleration with 4th/5th being there for straights/silly fast sections. Are the gearshifts any quicker? The 55 box is very slow in manual or auto I find (helped by the fact that you don't need to constantly change gear!!).

Wow didn't realise they were so close to 55's.

The 3rd and 4th ones look really nice. Is there no difference other than the engine?

Both 55 and 63 (M156) engines are close to greatness, I think choosing one will simply down to preference.

The 55 has a deep and low rumble which sounds menacing. The 63 doesn't quite hold the lows, but it has a full range in it's singing voice.

The 55 has instant low down pull which makes it feel fast. The 63 doesn't have the low down thump, but it keeps pulling long after the 55 had to shift.

Both will be remembered, but I believe the 63 will be the one which is considered an icon.

The early headbolt issue would be worrying me, Shame there is a lovely looking e63 Saloon for around £13k which tbf is similar to price to some of the e55's.

I've read engine numbers of upto m156.983 0060060658 are effected.

What are the causes of these failures in the earlier 63's & does it affect the Bi-turbos E's ?

I don't doubt that 55 feels like it has more torque than the 63 but I haven't driven one.

All that said though, it's really not lacking on that front. I opted for the 63 as a mint very low mileage example presented itself.

If it hadn't I would have been happy with either and just picked the best, low mileage example. Both epic cars if I'm honest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom