Mercedes benz fintail estate, garage find - Full resto required

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That needs dropping onto an 210 E55 chassis and running gear.

What a super car, I'd love to be able to own and restore something like that

In my petulant youth i turned down the chance to buy one of these with decent bodywork but a knackered engine, less than £100 from memory!

Must be a very rare car now, massive project though, will need very deep pockets to take this on.

It looks even more rotten than the W111 saloon I ended up breaking a couple of years ago : the more I poked into it , the more rot I kept finding . Mine looked quite sound outwardly , which is more than can be said for this one .

They are quite rare now , but the cost of restoration is likely to exceed the final value - so it would have to be a labour of love .

John would love this car to go to a good home, either for spares or restoration :ban:

like he cares, why do people write this crap

if you have reached the point of selling it the love affair is over or you have seen something better,or you need the money,or no space .......sentiment over who buys it,

As howard said,

I used to watch 'west coast rides' or similar in the early hrs up with our little one.

They use the 'shell' off an old car and put in on top of a new one (like remote control cars)

That 'top' fitted to a E55 estate 'bottom' would be ace.

John would love this car to go to a good home, either for spares or restoration :ban:

like he cares, why do people write this crap

if you have reached the point of selling it the love affair is over or you have seen something better,or you need the money,or no space .......sentiment over who buys it,

Well, some (level-headed) people do form sentimental attachements to their cars, and therefore may care deeply about what happens to them after they leave their ownership. They may, for instance, be giving a car up because they know they will not be able to use/maintain/restore it, but still care enough to want it to be looked after by its next owner. Obviously they can't very well ensure that that happens, but surely they're entiled to express the desire?

That 'top' fitted to a E55 estate 'bottom' would be ace.

Tee hee , imagine how much fun you could have in it !!

Paint it a really nice colour too , Designo Mystic Red , or a really high gloss Bornite.

A likely candidate for pre-68 banger racing. The guys like material that's a little bit out of the ordinary.

A few of those in good order still floating about in Portugal.
Was there a Portuguese converter?

A likely candidate for pre-68 banger racing. The guys like material that's a little bit out of the ordinary.

Really?! How much would they have to spend to get it to a condition where it was driveable and structurally sound? Only to smash it up again?!

Really?! How much would they have to spend to get it to a condition where it was driveable and structurally sound? Only to smash it up again?!

Agreed - they'd much rather buy an immaculately preserved (or restored) example to write off. :mad:

I recently saw a Rover P5 on Ebay that had been fully prepared for racing - I think it made about £1800 ! This will make good money too:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/mk10-jagu...5559686?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item4d0329e786

It isn't a cheap form of motorsport. The cars are subject to tight scrutiny with heavy internal roll frames, door plates and a whole list of other requirements.

And the banger boys do have a taste for the unusual and the exotic.....

British banger cars - British car brochures ( www.car-brochures.eu )

Last edited:
In the 70's my Uncle Reg had a mint Austin Cambridge and was most put out when a couple of "geezers" offered to buy it and use it for banger racing.

Well, some (level-headed) people do form sentimental attachements to their cars, and therefore may care deeply about what happens to them after they leave their ownership. They may, for instance, be giving a car up because they know they will not be able to use/maintain/restore it, but still care enough to want it to be looked after by its next owner. Obviously they can't very well ensure that that happens, but surely they're entiled to express the desire?

if you read the add he says
either for spares or restoration so hes not so bothered!!! and youre reasons dont apply

hence my post,
some (level-headed) people ???? is that you

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom