Mercedes Command sat nav map updates

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MSG2004

Car
GLE, AMG Line
I was reading a post last night re updates.
I bought my GLE brand new in April 2016.
It has FSH by Mercedes
Checking the version of my ma today its a V4 2015/16

I also read on this forum that MB updated maps first three years.
Do they do the updates with any other services after the three years?

Final question - was there a newer version of the map by June 2019 as that is when I had the third service

Thanks

Last edited:
As above, which version of Comand do you have?
The link below shows the latest map version for NTG4.5/ 5.1 /5.2 /and NTG6. You also need to purchase the Map pin.

It appears the main dealers don't apply the free map update unless the owner specifically asks for it to be done.
I have a 2014 E Class and the previous owner(s) never had the map updated. I paid £99 for mine to be done when I paid for my first service in 2020.

Hi , had my Command system updated and it's not very good in South London.

Tried to take me down one way streets the wrong way , but to be fare other systems have done that to me.

My real grip is so slow in that it tells you to leave the roundabout seconds after I have !

I only paid £75.00 at a Merc dealer so cannot complain to much.

I only use the Sat Nav as an enhanced map.

As you bought it brand new and it has full MB servicce history, my first port of call would be the supplying/servicing dealer to ask why they had not applied the free map updates in your first 3 years of ownership with them servicing it, and suggest they update the maps FOC as a result! They don't like doing it as it ties up a service bay for an hour or two doing something they can't invoice the car owner for, but as this is a failure to do something included in the purchase of the car, perhaps they'll at least offer a big discount. A 2016 car you're looking at a system that requires a PIN specific to the VIN of the car, only obtainable from the MB mainframe by either a main dealer or a proper indie like comand.co.uk, at a cost of about £55, plus the DVD's which are more money, best price seems to be MB's occasional offer of £99 total.

I had a similar problem with my 2008 SLK where the supplying and servicing dealer had not installed a 2009 update which should have been done FOC, did not find this out until just after I bought the car in mid 2020, supplying dealer did not answer my email so it cost me £100 to get it tinsalled.

As you bought it brand new and it has full MB servicce history, my first port of call would be the supplying/servicing dealer to ask why they had not applied the free map updates in your first 3 years of ownership with them servicing it, and suggest they update the maps FOC as a result! They don't like doing it as it ties up a service bay for an hour or two doing something they can't invoice the car owner for, but as this is a failure to do something included in the purchase of the car, perhaps they'll at least offer a big discount. A 2016 car you're looking at a system that requires a PIN specific to the VIN of the car, only obtainable from the MB mainframe by either a main dealer or a proper indie like comand.co.uk, at a cost of about £55, plus the DVD's which are more money, best price seems to be MB's occasional offer of £99 total.

I had a similar problem with my 2008 SLK where the supplying and servicing dealer had not installed a 2009 update which should have been done FOC, did not find this out until just after I bought the car in mid 2020, supplying dealer did not answer my email so it cost me £100 to get it tinsalled.
Not so, I was also supplied with a PIN specific to my VIN and it was not from either a main dealer or a "proper" indie.

Hi

Update

I rang MB twice - yesterday told the guy the situation and he said he'd put me through to the "department that can help, customer services." I said I did ring customer services. He put me through to breakdowns. This was becuse it had just gone min after 5 the breakdown guy told me and the customer services was closed so phone tripped there

Rang today, waste of time as the guy said "they may do it" ref to update. I asked for a quote from MB site where it states if or not the command nav system is updated FoC, he could not do that and told me to ring the dealer. I thanked him and ended the call
I give up

Car was registered in early April 2016, FSH via MB - V4 2015/2016 is the map I have. It is quite crap when compared against a Hyundai and jaguar

May take it up with the dealer next time as the car now on the service plan.

Thanks all

ps - I said to the gent on the phone today that it should not be up to the customer to chase/investigate what should be done when but the dealer - waste of my time and effort but I will ask them next time and if they say no re first three years I will ask for the link to the MB site where it states you pay for the updates

CarPlay can be retrofitted to that. Spend the money on that and use Waze - much better
If you want the warranty to be maintained on the head-unit with CarPlay retrofit, theres a proper process to follow (and a firmware update) - talk to forum sponsor www.comand.co.uk
RIchard

ps, the dealers do get paid a small amount to do map updates under 3 years old. The VeDOK system generates the map pins FOC under 3 years, and they get some £ for installing it. But it takes up a bay that is much more profitable to use servicing a customer's car ....

Thank you but car just gone 6 years old.
It should not be up to the customers to investigate, chase miss out on things just because a dealer cant be ****d but sadly that is the way it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom