Mercedes Oil cost

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MBCLKsport

Car
CLK
Hi,

Just got a price for 9 litres of oil from Mercedes Parts Brentford - wait for it, £161.00!! This is for a 320cdi.

I've always bought 2 x 5 litres of Mobil 1 oil for around £75.00. Decided this year may get the MB branded oil as MB Newcastle on Ebay sell it for around £55 including the filter.

I've used MB Newcastle ebay before for accessories but not parts. Can anyone confirm they are genuine parts? As the registered company for the ebay account isn't the actual MB dealership.

I've had parts from mb of Newcastle . yes they send out mb parts. There eBay section is part of the Newcastle franchise. You can contact either and they are more than happy to speak with you.

PS. Your better off buying the 20 litre drum of oil around £63 ish.

Just got a price for 9 litres of oil from Mercedes Parts Brentford - wait for it, £161.00!! This is for a 320cdi.

They probably quoted for 9 x 1L bottles but even the the price of £17.89/L is outrageous when it can be had for £3.25/L in a 20L container. I don't see how the MB Newcastle oil can be anything but genuine.

Don't fear buying more oil than you need as it will be used up long before any concerns about shelf life. In fact there are no concerns about shelf life.

Hi,

I've always bought 2 x 5 litres of Mobil 1 oil for around £75.00. Decided this year may get the MB branded oil as MB Newcastle on Ebay sell it for around £55 including the filter.

I've used MB Newcastle ebay before for accessories but not parts. Can anyone confirm they are genuine parts? As the registered company for the ebay account isn't the actual MB dealership.
I have had a few parts from them , always received MB parts, if you are worried speak to them on the phone via the dealers number, they have a special parts team , they have ordered parts no shown on line , then amended the website to show a special part number for my parts, I ordered against the new entry and got the parts at a good price

what is so special about MB oil?

Won't Mobile 1 or Casatrol xxx (or other recognised brand) to the same spec do the job??

MB Temple Fotune charged me £15.00+VAT per Litre for Shell Helix Ultra 229.5. The engine (M271) takes 5.5L of the stuff...

I think the issue is simply that dealers are not the best place to buy engine oil, of any brand... and this includes (but not limited to) MB-branded Petronas, or whatever other oil brand they happen to be using at the time.

And, as the OP noted, you can buy MB-branded oil for very cheap on eBay.

So the short answer is don't buy your engine oil at the dealer.

Thanks so much for the responses guys! I will go ahead with the purchase from MB Newcastle.

PS. Your better off buying the 20 litre drum of oil around £63 ish.

Good shout on the 20 Litre drum, will be sorted for next years service too!

Won't Mobile 1 or Casatrol xxx (or other recognised brand) to the same spec do the job??

I usually use Mobil 1, but at the price MB Newcastle EBay sell the MB oil for it's worth getting that as it's a lot cheaper.

Are they not one of the same just in different clothing so to speak ?

It will of course and I used to do just that using high quality MB approved oils like Shell helix Ultra but you simply can't buy anything cheaper than the oil from MB Newcastle. In 2017 when there was a special ebay discount I paid only £43.99 for 20L and I'm still using it.

Are they not one of the same just in different clothing so to speak ?
Difficult to say, really... they are all good enough (because they meet the relevant MB Spec), but are some oils better than others - and if so, is the difference relevant to the average car owner? No idea... independent research needed.

Difficult to say, really... they are all good enough (because they meet the relevant MB Spec), but are some oils better than others - and if so, is the difference relevant to the average car owner? No idea... independent research needed.

Bit like clarkes shoes and a pair from say matalan. Both do the job but you might put a few more miles on the clarkes . :)

A lot of sense in that article. Perhaps it gives an insight into why MB's own oil is so cheap.

...I think that the issue for car manufacturers is that they can only include in their official lists oils that they have actually tested, i.e. 'approved' oils.

There are many oils out there that have been self-certified by their own manufacturers to meet the relevant MB spec, and this is fine, but understandably MB cannot vouch for oil they haven't actually tested and therefore can not include these oils in their official approved oil list (unless MB get to test them and confirm the spec).

The bedrock of MB oil specs is the European ACEA specifications. For example an MB 229.5 oil has to meet ACEA A3/B4. However ACEA never tests or certifies oils, ACEA specs are always self certified by the oil manufacturer, so there is an act of faith involved in believing an oil meets the ACEA spec. One would hope that where MB's own oil is concerned they do require the supplier to actually test the oil against the ACEA criteria. Do they test other approved manufacturers oils against the ACEA criteria or do they accept the self certification. I don't know the answer to that.

Will the oil not come from a few "manufacturers" but be branded differently ?

Will the oil not come from a few "manufacturers" but be branded differently ?

I would say not in the usual sense of badge engineering although MB doesn't manufacture their own oil, it will be made to order and the supplier will change from time to time. The big names and there is a long list of them in the world, will refine their own base oils and will blend the final product with a bought in additive package. The smaller names will buy in both the base oils and the additive package. I suppose there are badge engineered oils in that Tesco Motor oil might be the same as Sainsbury's etc but I hope no one is using them in an MB.

I'm pretty sure that Mercedes Benz does not make oil. Just by a known brand (Castrol / Mobil / Shell / Chevron etc) diesel rated oil and you'll be fine.

I would say not in the usual sense of badge engineering although MB doesn't manufacture their own oil, it will be made to order and the supplier will change from time to time. The big names and there is a long list of them in the world, will refine their own base oils and will blend the final product with a bought in additive package. The smaller names will buy in both the base oils and the additive package. I suppose there are badge engineered oils in that Tesco Motor oil might be the same as Sainsbury's etc but I hope no one is using them in an MB.

They and Asda are all manufactured by Tetrosyl , same as ECP Triple QX , Carlube Triple R and G Force , absolutely nothing wrong , a spec is a spec .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom