• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

ML 270 cdi roof aerial broken

rallychief

Car
ML 270 CDi 2004
Hi everybody just bought a 2004 ML270 cdi in very very good conditon, a slight snag, i didn't notice the roof aerial mast is broken and splintered and looks a mess, it still works but prob not at its best, 2 questions, is it possible to just replace the mast, i really don't want to take the roof lining out, question 2 it has a pioneer DAB head unit in it ( FH-S820 DAB ) but their is no signal on DAB, their is what looks like another antenna in the NSR side window ? is it and if so is it DAB

Thanks for replys in advance

Last edited:
DAB antennas are often stuck onto the n/s front screen.
That often feeds into a USB dongle that plugs into the HU.
Which is the faulty component would take some diagnosing, but replacement kits are approx £25.

If you go for a full new antenna one of these is a better option than the sticky thing on the screen.

Thanks M80 tried unscrewing mast, but whole aerial turning in roof, will have another go at it later, with 2 pairs of grips, one for mast and one for base, your option 2 would be my favourite plan, but their is no way i can take the roof lining down

Thanks M80 tried unscrewing mast, but whole aerial turning in roof, will have another go at it later, with 2 pairs of grips, one for mast and one for base, your option 2 would be my favourite plan, but their is no way i can take the roof lining down
Ok the broken mast has unscrewed it was a mare, just above the base, their is a ball in 2 halves with a threaded screw in, took that apart, put the half with the mast on in a vice with plywood protection, and managed to get the mast off, of which only about 40mm remains, so i can replace the mast, is this type of aerial with a 2 part ball on the bottom standard Mercedes.

Other thing is i took the head unit out, and inside the dash their are 2 Fakra connectors, one Dark Red, and one light Grey, any thoughts on what they are, their is also a 2nd small wiring plug floating around loose not connected to anything ( maybe for steering wheel controls the car hasn't got )

They are usually keyed, so not inter changeable.

From the age of yours the possibles are FM, GPS, and cellphone antenna. I wouldn't expect the likes of DAB or Wi Fi.

Surely the Pioneer already utilises the FM antenna, albeit via a Fakra adapter feasibly.

Does your roof antenna carry MB identification? To be sure that it isn't aftermarket.

no the antenna doesent use either of the Fakra connectors, i did ask if this antenna with a ball just above the base that splits into 2 halves is MB, as i suspect it isn't , the pioneer has a regular male plug, plugged straight into the head unit with no adapters, i definately suspect from your comment re Fakras, this an aftermarket antenna, prob cheap, which is why it broke, i also asked if the 270 ( 2004 ) has antennas fitted in the rear side windows, which it appears to have both sides, would these be fiitted whether or not the head unit needed them, for use with higher spec model head units ? and the Fakra/Fakras in the loom whether needed or not

Whatever MB unit was removed for the Pioneer to go in, would use Fakra inputs.
Personally I would adapt and use the FM from the rear screens for the Pioneer.

Afaik GPS would be from a shark fin roof mounted antenna, to feed an original Comand unit. So it doesn't sound like you have that.

It is perhaps feasible that the 2nd Fakra, would be feeding +12v to the antenna amp, while also carrying FM back, but I thought that was a later innovation.

Generally I have found nothing deficient, when working correctly, from the rear screen antennas, via the powered antenna amps.

Back then cell phone amps were common, I believe, but now redundant.

You have a sticky on DAB antenna, which is often good enough in strong signal areas, but deficient on significant journey's.
Download DAB Z if the unit is Android.

Any GPS is good enough via a cheapo (£5(ish)) ebay GPS antenna, mounted insight of sky, but not below metal (glass isn't an issue).

Ok just as an update, here is how i solved the issue, i retained the base of the aerial which is on the rear of my roof, and bought an Eightwood mast ) Eightwood are supposed to make good kit ) which is rated for FM and DAB but not L band ( do we use that in the UK ) and fitted it to the existing base which i believe is not MB, i then purchased a cheapish FM/Dab splitter with DIN input and DIN/SMB output, connected up to headunit, i now have DAB not sure if signal strength is finest, maybe need a better splitter, or is the FM/DAB mast a compromise, the station i wanted on DAB, Greatest hits isn't the best at my house, but then i live in Plymouth, which isn't best place in the world for DAB , any thoughts who makes the best quality splitter, as the weakness may lay there

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom