ML320 W164 acceleration jerking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rusty1001

Car
ML320
Hello all,

I have a 2009 ML320 and it has run pretty well having owned it a year and a half however I have recently run into 2 issues. I have just had a full service and ECU health check which the garage reported there was nothing that came back as a cause for concern. I would welcome any direction in where another garage may be able to look to identify what's the issues.

1. Under moderate acceleration half of the time the vehicle seems to struggle to change up jerking and kangarooing revs until I ease off the accelerator and it switches gears.

2. The vehicle has lost complete power as though the key has been removed/ignition turned off during driving until it is switched back on again, cutting the power steering and braking etc.

Any assistance in identifying the fault would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Check the condition of the battery or battries, in some cases the computer will close down on a low battery . Or Fuel injector nozzles can become clogged over time, which can lead to a sputtering engine, slow acceleration and the car not having enough power. Fuel injectors can be cleaned if the problem is caught early, but as the conditions worsens, the injectors may have to be replaced. May have had some bad fuel at fill up .

Last edited:
Turbo actuator, boost pipes, charge circuit leaks, etc. All super common issues on this engine

Not sure about the 2nd problem

The way to go is scan for fault codes, my E320cdi 2007 was kangarooing intermittently and sometimes going into limp mode but would always recover after turning off and on. A replacement turbo actuator seems to have solved the problem.

The way to go is scan for fault codes, my E320cdi 2007 was kangarooing intermittently and sometimes going into limp mode but would always recover after turning off and on. A replacement turbo actuator seems to have solved the problem.
Worth adding that a "backpressure too high" error is essentially saying that the actuator failed to control backpressure - not the sensor.

Yes I got that and fitted a new back pressure sensor. Probably needed changing as it was the original and my car is on 170,000 miles but point is it was not the back pressure sensor that was at fault. I also got the inlet port shut off motor fault, but replacement actuator seems to have solved the issue. If you are looking to fix an actuator you can send yours away and get it refurbed or get the g number off yours and get a used one. The only drawback with a used one is this could be faulty or ready to go. I had already acquired one off a friend for free so I fitted it and it worked ok. But going the refurbishment route seems more sensible as you get a couple of years warranty with it. The company below is offering 10 years.

Yes I got that and fitted a new back pressure sensor. Probably needed changing as it was the original and my car is on 170,000 miles but point is it was not the back pressure sensor that was at fault. I also got the inlet port shut off motor fault, but replacement actuator seems to have solved the issue. If you are looking to fix an actuator you can send yours away and get it refurbed or get the g number off yours and get a used one. The only drawback with a used one is this could be faulty or ready to go. I had already acquired one off a friend for free so I fitted it and it worked ok. But going the refurbishment route seems more sensible as you get a couple of years warranty with it. The company below is offering 10 years.
Yeah I think replacing the sensor is an internet myth, alongside the replacement timing chain tensioner.

My current back pressure sensor is 225k miles old and the car does sub 8s 0-60mph

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom