ML350 Any Ideas Help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MalcV

Car
ML350CDI
Purchased an 2010 ML350 CDI 2 months ago. 75,000m. Had one or two little issues that have been sorted, but when we got the vehicle we noticed a growl (almost inductive) from passenger side of the engine above 2000rpm but only when being driven. At standstill you can rev right through and it sound lovely. This growl does become a bit of a knock when over 2000rpm and driving up hill. Also the noise is not there when the engine is cold. Only appears after about 5-10min of driving. Would appreciate any ideas. Car has 1 month warranty left and would be great to point dealer in right direction?

Sounds rather like mine, a bit noisy ( sounds noisiest in the front passenger seat ) from about 1600 rpm to just over 2000rpm under load, not exactly a growl but a very light knock which does not occur outside that rev range, otherwise it is a very quiet engine especially cruising at 70 mph + .
When I bought it ( 70 k miles with full MB service history ) I raised the issue with the Merc Indi who was selling it and they spent 2 days checking it over, said everything was spot on, including injectors. Said all 350 ML's are somewhat noisy ( my previous ML 320cdi was not ! ) , that they vary and mine was actually not bad. Also promised that if anything developed as a result of the noise getting worse , even if it was out of the 6 months warranty , they would fix it. They thought it was not the engine knocking but could be something vibrating under the bonnet areacaused by combination of engine revs and speed of airflow.
7 months and 4-5000 miles later it still sounds the same but otherwise running really well with no problems at all.
Will be interested to see what other responses you get to the thread.

Quick update. Had engine codes checked and nothing showing. Tech reported that dpf back pressure was 400mb. Not sure if this is high or not? As this noise only occurs above 2000rpm could it possibly be intercooler related. Maybe slight restriction? or pipe blowing around seal. Really stumped so could do with any suggestions. I have fitted new air filters from Europarts (not the greatest fit) Just one more thing. I believe the car has had D6 chip fitted when new. Spoke to Brabus and they think this will have been removed by Mercedes when sold on. Is there a possible hang up from this unit?

Cheers for reply. Seems to be more Rev or load related. Can be low speed say 20-40 if going up incline, but could be 60+ if on a flat. It’s just that 2000rpm + area when it rears it’s head?

I was trying to establish if it could be a front diff bearing issue, which would give a growl(ish) noise around 60mph, but I think your year wasn't usually affected.

The ML has lost all its boost tonight and running really flat. Still revs through but not power. Also Auto box does not feel quite right. Good friend has put his scanner on tonight and we have 2 codes. Would appreciate any ideas. Think it means swirl flap failure cyl2 but not sure how it would know it was only cylinder 2 ?

Codes are :-
P149A00. The gas shutoff valve of gas cylinder 2 is jammed closed. There is a general failure- pending.
P155D00. Undocumented code.

If any body has any ideas I would be extremely grateful. It’s under warranty until Tues next week. So really want to understand what’s happening, before i get fobbed off.

Could it be swirl flap motor failure caused by oil cooler seal failure - letting oil drip on the motor?

Could it be swirl flap motor failure caused by oil cooler seal failure - letting oil drip on the motor?

Thanks for reply. Not to sure as no engine management light and code details cylinder 2. But it’s the direction I was thinking in?

Its a well known om642 problem and not cheap to fix, although the ML350 version of the engine has newer better oil cooler seals apparently. Any oil in the bottom trays?

Its a well known om642 problem and not cheap to fix, although the ML350 version of the engine has newer better oil cooler seals apparently. Any oil in the bottom trays?
Hi. No all looks clean at moment. So I’ll take that as a positive. Do you happen to know how system can tell it is cylinder 2 that’s jammed shut. Does each flap have a proxy switch for its position?

Update. EGR replaced by Mercedes and all is good. Car runs much smoother. Tech at Mercedes indicated not totally unusual to not get engine management light and a limp mode. Glad it’s sorted and can now enjoy car.

Glad it was not too expensive to fix. Mine decided to have total brake failure yesterday , luckily while parked on my drive. No sigh of any brake fluid in the reservoir or under the car. AA home start visited, put 500 ml fluid in reservoir, still no brakes so car being taken on a flatbed to my local garage tomorrow , suspect it will turn out to be the brake master cylinder. Unfortunately will not be looked at until middle of next week as garage booked solid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom