Moan / Buzz noise in traffic.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bill_mill_65

Car
1999 E-Class T Avantgarde, ST Fiesta
I've got a '99 210 300TD estate. I notice that after driving around there's a sound like a buzz or moan at 1200 to 1400 rpm. I think it's something resonnating, but haven't been able to trace it. It's not A/C. Seems to be comming from front left wheel arch area.
Any one had a similar experience or some handy hints?
I did remove the wheel arch liner to have a delve for pipes rubbing etc, and did notice the ride levelling plumbing. Where's the pump for that system?
Thanks! Bill.

engine mounting?
The diesels are more prone to going due to the extra weight of the diesel engine.
How many miles has the car done?

OK thanks for that; it's done 120,000 miles. Doesn't do it from cold if that's significant.

less likely to be the engine mounting then - it would not be any different hot or cold.
How about a heat shield on the exhaust?
Does it make the noise when the car is stationary and you rev the engine slightly or only when moving?
It is not a piece of trim in the car vibrating slightly is it - even a sun visor or door pocket can vibrate at certain engine revs or road speed?

I had this on a couple of cars, both times it turned out to be the vents when the car warmed the cabin fan would come on and off they would go -

Swift clump with hand every now and then fixed :D

Thanks guys. I took the lower bumpercover off to have a rummage; look for rubbing pipes etc. The only thing I could see that wasn't correctly fitted was the plastic duct surrounding the oil cooler.
This appears to have fixed the issue! Certainly the 'cooler will vibrate with a frequency that relates to engine speed so maybe that was all it was!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom