Most comfortable and reliable A to C class sized car? (MB & Non MB)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If you can overlook the badge, any modern ford will be as comfy as anything out there for the price. Built for high mileage business users. I ran a 2010 mondeo for 9 years and it ran circles around any other car I’ve ever owned for sheer comfort. Better than the 320d which preceded it, Way better than my CLK and better than the A6 which replaces it. Class act (crap image).

Try one. You might just be surprised!
I agree, I ran a 2009 Mondeo Titanium X for almost 200k miles. All it had in that time was a clutch and flywheel, tyres, discs and pads (and normal service stuff). Handled well too and returned over 50mpg. not as plush as the e class but as a tool I couldn’t fault it.

Would an F10 BMW 520d be too big ??

Certainly very comfortable - much better seats than my C207 E220

Would an F10 BMW 520d be too big ??
Yep unfortunately so, want something smaller then my E, finding it cumbersome in some car parks.

I had a CT200h as my daily car for three years and liked it a lot. It was comfortable, well equipped, economic (never beow 50mpg) and, in Sport mode, quick enough. One thing not often mentioned is that CT has a very good chassis and suspension set up and handles a lot better that you'd think. I liked it so much that I bought an IS300h which in my opinion is superb. Try one, you might like it!

I agree, I ran a 2009 Mondeo Titanium X for almost 200k miles. All it had in that time was a clutch and flywheel, tyres, discs and pads (and normal service stuff). Handled well too and returned over 50mpg. not as plush as the e class but as a tool I couldn’t fault it.

mine was a 2010 titanium sport and I ran it to 100k with nothing other than routine servicing. Truly great car. I miss it!

Yep unfortunately so, want something smaller then my E, finding it cumbersome in some car parks.
Strangely I actually find my E estate easier to park in tight multi-storey car parks compared to my mk 4 mondeo. The Mondeo was actually wider which is probably more restrictive than length. Plus the turning circle in the E is much smaller, I assume because it.s longitudinal and rear wheel drive. Maybe something to consider.

Strangely I actually find my E estate easier to park in tight multi-storey car parks compared to my mk 4 mondeo. The Mondeo was actually wider which is probably more restrictive than length. Plus the turning circle in the E is much smaller, I assume because it.s longitudinal and rear wheel drive. Maybe something to consider.

The steering lock on a rear wheel drive car will allow for tighter turning circles.

We’re delighted (surprisingly) with our Mondeo estate. Handles well, very smooth duel clutch auto box and torquey engine and mahoooosive boot. Lots of goodies as standard too.

I had a CT200h as my daily car for three years and liked it a lot. It was comfortable, well equipped, economic (never beow 50mpg) and, in Sport mode, quick enough. One thing not often mentioned is that CT has a very good chassis and suspension set up and handles a lot better that you'd think. I liked it so much that I bought an IS300h which in my opinion is superb. Try one, you might like it!
Thats interesting, as you've driven both what would you say the pros and cons are of each, I assume the 300H is a lot more refined? I think i'm getting old as I prefer soft suspension over handling nowadays :)

Reactions: 219
The steering lock on a rear wheel drive car will allow for tighter turning circles.
Best turning circle I ever had was my Triumph Herald , which would actually scrub the tyres sideways on full lock , and was bettered only by a London taxi !

Best turning circle I ever had was my Triumph Herald , which would actually scrub the tyres sideways on full lock , and was bettered only by a London taxi !

Lets not mention the transverse leaf spring IRS.:eek: ;)
m9o4nlr.jpg

Reactions: 219
Swirl flaps were a significant issue on diesel BMW 3 series (E46 & E90) up until 2008.

Your budget will buy you a newer petrol BMW estate.

I'd suggest looking for at a 2009+ LCI 330i /325i or the newer 2012+ F30.

I'm assuming that you're not considering a C class petrol estate because they're rarer than hen's teeth?

Thats interesting, as you've driven both what would you say the pros and cons are of each, I assume the 300H is a lot more refined? I think i'm getting old as I prefer soft suspension over handling nowadays :)
They're very different cars, the CT a compact 134hp hatch and the IS a fairly large 220hp saloon. I find the IS a little bit softer sprung, but still handling well. Obviously the IS is quicker. but still returns 50mpg most of the time and in Sport mode kicks down rapidly.
You really need to try them because as I understand it, these cars are not evreyone's cup of tea. I like 'em and a very good friend of mine who drove my CT went on to buy one for himself as a daily. Another mate wasn't keen. I think the CVT is the put of for some in the CT, but in the IS it responds more like a torque converter auto.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom