MPG question?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
MPG doesn't float my boat - smiles per mile are all that matters in the AMG
I have Cooper D for commuting & even this makes me smile when driven on the limit but for weekends, long trips, holidays & just for the hell of it blasts i have the E63 - screw the MPG, if i couldn't afford it, i wouldn't have it....you only live once so enjoy yourself..

61 litres of v-power will get me approx 240 miles in my w204 c63.. its painful, but not as painful as driving my wife's Peugeot 3008.

That's around 18-mpg for the 240 miles on a fresh reset after fill up.

In the last 1600 miles I have done 17.9 on average

I get 22 on a run at 70-80mph

And 16 mpg on the blasts to and from the gym on a 7 mile each way trip with 5 miles dual carriageways and 2 miles through town.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220501-163856_Shell.jpg
    Screenshot_20220501-163856_Shell.jpg
    273.9 KB · Views: 3
🥱😉

Arguably you don't, as for that sort of driving and giving a monkey about mpg you may as well have an electric motor...

Not as not boring as you think...

Screenshot_20220501-174427_Gallery.jpg

Not Nm but Ftlb .

You obviously like it but I find diesel power/torque delivery exceedingly boring. You get a nudge in the back and then it just tapers off. Torque at the wheels is what counts and if you take a higher torque output with lower rpm you don't actually get more at the wheels.

Yes that's true for my mpg supremo .

I've heard a remapped C 350 CDI as being as in gear fast as a C63 , this Stage 1 remap often achieves 700 Nm+ and keeps the torque with a broad rpm spread , I believe GAD Tuning is in development of a 800 Nm map .

You obviously like it but I find diesel power/torque delivery exceedingly boring. You get a nudge in the back and then it just tapers off. Torque at the wheels is what counts and if you take a higher torque output with lower rpm you don't actually get more at the wheels.
Don't quite see your logic there.....sure you get more at the tyres....that what you feel when you push the throttle....not horse power....horse power is nothing more than how fast torque is made. My mapped 2.0 ALFA JTDm pushes out over 400 nm of torque.....rather more than the 3.2 V6 petrol version does.....and because of that if I put it at 50 in top next to my friends 3.2 and push the hammer down I vanish into the distance....until he gets high enough into the revs to make his torque and he flies by....but on the road in the real world and not on a racetrack, high torque beats high power every time....unless you get a big petrol engine where you can have the best of both worlds. And sure, the power tapers off as the revs climb in a diesel....but you just change up and ride the next wave of torque. Don't get me wrong I'm no derv evangelist....this is the first one I've owned of over 30 cars (Jeep aside and who wants a petrol Grand Cherokee?) as I bought it when doing lots of miles and my next will be a large engined petrol car as I only now do about 5000 miles a year in my own cars....but as a road car to waft your along with minimum effort a modern derv is hard to beat. I have noticed that many modern small engined turbo cars (like the ALFA 1750 and the A Class turbo lumps) feel more and more like dervs..high torque at low revs.....but run out of breath early....so get used to that feel as V8s fade out of existence. Each to there own though....

download.jpeg.jpg images.jpeg.jpg1280px-Proton_Saga_Iswara_(saloon)_(front),_Serdang.jpg1280px-Proton_Saga_(re-release;_third_facelift)_(front),_Serdang.jpg

Lol....these Protons look so like Alfa's 😁 Not sure if Proton exist anymore.

Attachments

• download.jpeg.jpg
    download.jpeg.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 1
Don't quite see your logic there.....sure you get more at the tyres....that what you feel when you push the throttle....not horse power....horse power is nothing more than how fast torque is made. My mapped 2.0 ALFA JTDm pushes out over 400 nm of torque.....

Is that all , I'm 580 Nm from a 2.1 , that's 80 more than a AMG A45 S , it makes the car incredibly driveable , effortless , it can drive anywhere making normal progress under 1600 rpm . And like you say it shifts quite well on a wave of torque when required .

I recently drove the complete opposite a FN2 Honda Civic Type R , just 193 Nm made at
5,600 rpm , my peak power is 3,500 , lol , it made it exhausting to drive , you had to work for it and you got out of it like you had drove a thousand miles , horrific clutch , gearbox and suspension .

My peak is power is at 4000 revs.....but importantly my peak torque is at just 1750. Anywhere between those two points it's pretty rapid for a 2.0 diesel. I could tune it higher but the 6 speed manual F40 gearbox torque limit is 400nm.....and I'm already over that.....don't want to push my luck too far with a 166,000 mile in gearbox! 360nm is stock....still more than the V6 petrol.

If you want effortless without having to listen to the din of a diesel (can't stand them) then twin turbo V8. :thumb:
Yep definitely 👍 1050nM gets the job done 😁

If you want effortless without having to listen to the din of a diesel (can't stand them) then twin turbo V8. :thumb:
Din? Have you actually been in a diesel car built in the last 20 years! LOL. Mine is virtually silent apart from on the coldest or mornings.....many people who get in my car don't even notice it IS a diesel. The five cylinder ones which are a bit louder make a pretty good sound with that off beat Audi five cylinder style warble. Most modern German (and other) dervs are very quiet these days.

Get a good exhaust on a Audi A4 B8 3.0 TDI quattro and they sound like a Nissan GTR , plus they can be tuned to 1080 Nm .

I appreciate people love their diesels but, a TDi with anything less than a 6-cylinder block sounds just plain bad in my opinion. There's only so much sound proofing and wizardry with acoustic dynamics you can do to hide the clatter, they still sound awful when revved out. Worse still is if you're one of those people who puts an exhaust on it and/or deletes the DPF and drives around everywhere rolling coal.

At least with a 6-cylinder, you get less clatter, more power and more torque, right out of the box....surely the sensible choice?

All this talk of suckling from the devil's black teet in the AMG Lounge is making me feel a bit queasy 🤢. Think I need to go and inhale some petrol vapour sharpish...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom