Multiple Sensor Fault Codes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dougla5

Car
C220CDI Estate 2012
C220 SPORT CDI BLUEEFFI-CY A (2012)

Looking for some assistance with why I have suddenly developed multiple fault codes.
Driving home the other night I noticed that the engine light had come on and the car had switched to limp home mode.
Once home I plugged in my OBDII scanner and found that I had nine codes active 😧
Some were duplicated but the short list was a throttle pedal position sensor, camshaft position sensor, generic fault codes (no specific cause).

The car was running well, no noises, smells or vibrations, so I reset the codes and took a test drive, but the engine lamp re-illuminated.
This time there were other codes, so I continued to reset codes and restart the engine.
The lamp always re-lights, and my final list of different codes that have appeared are:

P0123 - Throttle pedal position sensor switch A circuit high
P0697 - Sensor reference voltage C circuit high
P0340 - Camshaft position sensor A circuit bank 1 or single sensor
P0409 - Exhaust gas recirculation sensor A circuit
P2015 - Intake manifold runner position sensor switch circuit range
P2463 - DTC definitions not found! Please refer to vehicle service manual
P2112 - Throttle actuator control system stuck closed

I doubt that all these seemingly unrelated sensors have all failed simultaneously, and seems more likely to be a common power supply or ground connection issue.
I've checked all fuses and found none blown.

Has anyone experienced something like this?
Or does anyone know where a likely ground point for these would be located?

I've not needed to take a car to a garage for repair in over 30 years, but this might beat me. So any help would be gratefully received.

The car is standard, no re-maps or component changes.

Cheers,
Douglas

With a generic OBDII tool you have to be careful, descriptions aren't always correct

Sensors, eg pressure, temperature position etc are powered from a 5v supply in the module, so checking fuses won't help you.
Actuators like solenoids and motors will usually have a supply from a vbatt source

Anyway, if you assume those fault descriptions are correct first would be to check for obvious signs of wiring damage.
Then I would disconnect all those components one at a time in mentioned in hopes that one of them is faulty and dragging that supply down. You may need to cycle ignition after each disconnect. Of course by disconnecting components you'll get other faults but ignore those for know. If one of components is bad when disconnected it should be obvious from the fault pattern.

If you have a multimeter you can check for the 5v supply at each as you go.

If that doesn't show anything, you're down to having to check the wiring more and try and determine if there are any shorts.

Hi SN,
Thanks for the response.
When you say that the sensors receive a 5V supply from "the module", is there a single module that all sensors connect back to, or multiple modules?
And the nest obvious question is how do I find out where they are located?

Also, does anyone have details of how to get a wiring diagram for the Engine Management System to see all the sensors and electronics, with where and how they interconnect?

Cheers,
Douglas

The module is the one reporting the fault.
With the diag tools that use the manufacturer services they will clear show the faults for each module.
With those generic OBD2 readers I guess it may not be as clear as in theory any emission relevant module could respond and the tools vary in quality and don't always show which has module is reporting. To be honest it's not necessary as it's only going to be the engine, transmission and it will obvious from the description.

C220 SPORT CDI BLUEEFFI-CY A (2012)

Looking for some assistance with why I have suddenly developed multiple fault codes.
Driving home the other night I noticed that the engine light had come on and the car had switched to limp home mode.
Once home I plugged in my OBDII scanner and found that I had nine codes active 😧
Some were duplicated but the short list was a throttle pedal position sensor, camshaft position sensor, generic fault codes (no specific cause).

The car was running well, no noises, smells or vibrations, so I reset the codes and took a test drive, but the engine lamp re-illuminated.
This time there were other codes, so I continued to reset codes and restart the engine.
The lamp always re-lights, and my final list of different codes that have appeared are:

P0123 - Throttle pedal position sensor switch A circuit high
P0697 - Sensor reference voltage C circuit high
P0340 - Camshaft position sensor A circuit bank 1 or single sensor
P0409 - Exhaust gas recirculation sensor A circuit
P2015 - Intake manifold runner position sensor switch circuit range
P2463 - DTC definitions not found! Please refer to vehicle service manual
P2112 - Throttle actuator control system stuck closed

I doubt that all these seemingly unrelated sensors have all failed simultaneously, and seems more likely to be a common power supply or ground connection issue.
I've checked all fuses and found none blown.

Has anyone experienced something like this?
Or does anyone know where a likely ground point for these would be located?

I've not needed to take a car to a garage for repair in over 30 years, but this might beat me. So any help would be gratefully received.

The car is standard, no re-maps or component changes.

Cheers,
Douglas

Douglas,

I have no comment to make regarding your Fault Codes, but I would advise you to remove your Post Code from your Location! :oops::rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom