My E350 CDI Sport Saloon Review

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
All four of my Mercedes V6 diesel cars have comfortably exceeded their extra-urban figures. (Including the ML) So it certainly is possible.;)
However, my journeys are not typical of most users. I have a head start by living in the flat and uncrowded Norfolk and most of my journeys are at least 100miles. My wife, using the same car, can return a figure 40% worse for her city commute.
Extra- urban on the CLS is quoted at 47.9. My overall figure for the last 2000 miles is 44mpg and I have seen this.....and yes! I've checked the acccuracy of the meter:)

Last edited:
what's this about monthly update discs?

They post these to your house?

Sorry, no these are the update discs that Mercedes send out to dealers. They update the software on the vehicle and address any outstanding electronic issues that the car may (if they find them). Also I guess they hold recall information and any other issues.

Thanks for the post Mactech, Just shows that it is achievable and even (as I have done in other cars) exceeded the figure with relative ease.
Drove back from London today, steady drive not exceeding 80mph and the majority of my journey was at 73 mph (cruise) on the motorway. Trip says 178miles with 37.2mpg at an average speed of 49mph.
Hawk thanks for the link, I have studied that page many times before :)

Mactech, thinking more about your mpg, its even more surprising that my ultra "slipperiest car yet" 350 coupe isnt as efficient as your (presumably pre blue efficiency) "even more streamline" ML!???

Last edited:
Don't forget that a lot depends on the speed at which you drive. Of course there are speeds at which you can achieve the extra urban figure -try a steady 50 on flat ground for example. But few if any cars will yield extra urban figures at motorway cruising speeds. On a longish trip doing normal indicated 70/80 speeds on motroways and dual carriageways few claim much more than the combined figure.

I once averaged 50mpg for a long way but that was because there were road works with specs cameras and a limit of 50mph for many miles on the M3 and little traffic.

Sorry, no these are the update discs that Mercedes send out to dealers. They update the software on the vehicle and address any outstanding electronic issues that the car may (if they find them). Also I guess they hold recall information and any other issues.

so how does one get an update disc applied? Is it part of normal service attendances or do you have to complain about something?

so how does one get an update disc applied? Is it part of normal service attendances or do you have to complain about something?

not quite sure, I think they maybe check if there are any updates when the car is in for a service or they have to recall your car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom