Navigation system CD

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clegsr

Car
Later
I have just bought an E430 with Comand (I think 2.5) travelpilot DX system and am interested in buying a new, updated UK navigation CD.
As I see it, I can either buy one from my Mercedes dealer, or buy a Teleatlas CD from their web-site, or buy one from Blaupunkt from THEIR website.

Unfortunately none of them seem to support TMC codes to give me dynamic route guidance but can anyone advise me which I should buy?

Is there any difference in the CD's or are they all the same under the packaging? and when will I be able to get a TMC enable UK disc? - I know you can get them for Germany already.

Hi and welcome to the board.

There is no point looking for a UK TMC disc since there aren't any!

I've looked into this because like you I wanted to enable the Dynamic Route Guidance system on Comand.

The TMC info is being broadcast via a Classic FM subcarrier, but MB will not licence a TMC enabled disc for Comand - they continue to maintain that the system is not ready in the UK.

That is wrong - because other systems work with TMC - whether MB are dissatisfied with the quality or want to run their own system, they won't say. Here's the text of an e-mail from teleatlas -

At present, TMC codes are only available on the cds covering Germany and the
Benelux countries but not, unfortunately, on the current Great Britain disc.
We are expecting this facility to be introduced in a forthcoming version in
the near future and will keep you informed on this matter.
If you have any other queries, do not hesitate to contact us via telephone
Monday to Friday from 9 am to 5 pm on: 0208 230 31 88, Fax on: 0208 230 31
91, e-mail: [email protected]
<mailto:[email protected]> or visit our website,
www.teleatlas.com <http://www.teleatlas.com> .
That was in 2001, and the 2002 disc still does not have TMC codes.

BTW, I found this to be a good source for discs - got one with the Michelin Guide on, and it works well!

Link

Last edited:
TMC Navigation in the UK

thanks, that's about what I was expecting, its pretty galling especially as VDO now produce a TMC enabled disk for the Philips systems, whish means that it also works for... BMW.

I'm not quite sure why, if its good enough for Beemers its not good enough for Mercs?

Who do you think we should be chasing to make it happen for the us?
Blaupunkt or Mercedes?

Hi Guy

I tried the link on yoru post above but it didnt work. I need a 2002 Teleatlas DX disc for my new comand but on the teleatlas web site they only seem to show 2001 as the latest DX version? :( where should I try?

I have a 2002 non DX teleatlas UL & Belfast disk which is now surplus to requirements as is my MB (1999) Travel pilot single din sat nav system.

Link above should work now!

Here it is again -

Link

Last edited:
Thanks
Link Works fine
I just ordered a new map disk from the site. :)

Tele atlas sent me this email yesterday re a 2003 DX Nav CD apparantly available now priced at £90.

"Many thanks for your email and your interest in Tele Atlas products.

Around 1/1/2 months ago we released the 2003 DX version of our Great Britain
& Belfast cd. At present, the full postcode entry function is not yet
available with this cd. In London, where a number of street names appear multiple times throughout the city, the postcodes of the district in which each road is situated have been added after the street name to enable users trying to navigate to those street to be able to discern which street is in which district. It is unfortunately not yet a function of Blaupunkt TravelPilot DX systems to allow postcodes to be entered manually when
searching for a street. An upgrade for this function will eventually be offered by Blaupunkt but we are unfortunately not yet able to give you exact details as to when this may occur. Apart from this function, the new 2003 DX cd should indeed fulfil the other coverage issues you had raised.

If you have any other queries, do not hesitate to contact us via telephone Monday to Friday from 9 am to 5 pm on: 0208 230 31 88, Fax on: 0208 230 31 91, e-mail: [email protected] or visit our website, www.teleatlas.com. "

End of email

Further to prev post I just spoke to Blaupunkt Sales 01895 838365 who say they have not yet got the 2003 DX disk approved for general relaease so it can only be obtained direct from teleatlas for now. It seems they have a rigorous quality control procedure to go thru - if they find an error it gets rejected & teleatlas have to fix it before Blaupunkt wil put their name to it. So I guess the Teleatlas 2003 DX disc must be considered a beta for now.

I'm gonna live dangerously & get one anyway !:devil:

Originally posted by steve_bcs
Further to prev post I just spoke to Blaupunkt Sales 01895 838365 who say they have not yet got the 2003 DX disk approved for general relaease so it can only be obtained direct from teleatlas for now. It seems they have a rigorous quality control procedure to go thru - if they find an error it gets rejected & teleatlas have to fix it before Blaupunkt wil put their name to it. So I guess the Teleatlas 2003 DX disc must be considered a beta for now.

I'm gonna live dangerously & get one anyway !:devil:

Steve,

I was on the phone to the guy at Blaupunkt immediately after you, so he told me - before I had read your latest post. He gave me exactly the same explanation, which is something - but has offered a full refund if I want to return the 2002 disc to them.

Be interested to know how you get on with the new disc :)

Cheers

Guy

Glad to hear you can get a refund.

No probs, I 'll post a note here as soon as I've checked out the CD.

It will pass my test if it has got my road on it - a new development built 2 years ago and the whole of the M60 manchester ring road. These are definately not on the 2002 non DX disc. (but are on the Becker Navisys version 6 disc)

Steve

Originally posted by clegsr
I have just bought an E430 with Comand (I think 2.5)
NO...2,0...2,5 means two and a half DIN high...the 210 comes with a two DIN high unit.

greetingz,

Thanks for the input, but does that mean the 2003 GB DX disc will have TMC codes? or are you talking about postcodes now?

New UK 2003 DX disc works fine - still some housing estates that were built 7 years ago & 2 years ago not on but at least it now knows about M60 Manchester Outer Ring road!

Post code entry works fine too. Still not as good (IMHO) as the Becker Navisys Map but not far off.

TMC is definately not available to comand yet in the UK. Functionality is there but until MB sort out their licence issues we will have to lag behind Europe for a bit longer.

Originally posted by steve_bcs
New UK 2003 DX disc works fine - still some housing estates that were built 7 years ago & 2 years ago not on but at least it now knows about M60 Manchester Outer Ring road!

Post code entry works fine too. Still not as good (IMHO) as the Becker Navisys Map but not far off.

TMC is definately not available to comand yet in the UK. Functionality is there but until MB sort out their licence issues we will have to lag behind Europe for a bit longer.

So is the postcode entry available for all of the UK or just major towns?

Is the 2003 disc TMC enabled but it is just MB Command that wont use the data? Would be interested in getting hold of a copy to try before I buy on my Blaupunkt.;)

I was told first by teleatlas in an email posted on this forum that post code address entry only works in London. But thats rubbish. It works anywhere. First part only though but key in OL11 & it knows that is Rochdale, Key in OL6 thats Ashton Under Lyne etc .

I am not sure if teh disk is TMC enabled or not, I suspect not otherwise teh option on comand would be active. It would need an update disk to activate it I imagine.

I spoke with Blaupunkt technical helpline today and the chap seemed adamant that the 2002 DX UK disc did not have TMC codes in it - at least they were not "advertising" it as such -because the system was not fully implemented.

-So what does thay mean? possibly that it does in fact have the TMC codes? - he did say that it shouldn't matter whether the TravelpilotDX system was inside a MB COMAND or not, they all use the same operating system, and so, if (and when) TMC is working, it should work on all TravelpilotDX systems - including MB.

He said they had a new disc due for release in a couple of months which would have full UK postcodes.

It seems to me from the RDS-TMC website that if it WAS all working there would be press release saying it was.

Originally posted by clegsr
-So what does thay mean? possibly that it does in fact have the TMC codes? - he did say that it shouldn't matter whether the TravelpilotDX system was inside a MB COMAND or not, they all use the same operating system, and so, if (and when) TMC is working, it should work on all TravelpilotDX systems - including MB.

If you stick the disk in a PC, and look at the "param.sys" file on it, there are paramaters for all the different SAT-NAV units it supports (quite an interesting read)

If you look at the config items for all the MB sat-nav units, they all have a config entry that looks like it turns off the TMC

I tried copying the disk onto my PC, changing the file, and writing a new disk, but the COMAND didnt recognise it as a map disk anymore - I suspect theres stuff on the beginning of the CD image that is needed :)

That would make sense with the concept that "MB hasnt paid for TMC" or thereabouts :)

I tend to buy my disks from Teleatlas, its cheaper and disks arrive earlier !

Does anyone know if TMC works on Blaupunkt or VW/Audi systems ??

Cheers.

R

I now have the DX2003 disc for my Blaupunkt travel pilot, postcodes and house numbers appear to work for the whole of the country and the mapping is more up to date.

Now I am not sure but it appears that my travel pilot wants to use TMC codes and dynamic navigation but can't pick up any station that is broadcasting the signals. I have tried doing a TMC store and TMC scan several times but it cant find any stations. The Dynamic option won't work because of this but looks like it would work................Very strange:crazy:

Jimmy,

I know that it's Classic FM :eek: that has a sub-carrier broadcasting the TMC information - you need to enable the EON function (unless its permanent on your radio).

Check it here

Hope this helps!

And thanks again for Sunday.

PS - were there any sausages left? :)

Guy said:
Jimmy,

I know that it's Classic FM :eek: that has a sub-carrier broadcasting the TMC information - you need to enable the EON function (unless its permanent on your radio).
An update to this old post - I have bought the Blaupunkt 2004 UK disk with my new Travel Pilot E1, and it appears to have TMC codes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom