Need new rubber soon.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimmy

MB Enthusiast
Car
Discovery 3 TDV6, Discovery 300TDi - Plaything!
I rotated my wheels around last week (See here ) in order to get even tyre wear so that I can replace all four tyres at the same time. What I wasn't expecting was to find out that my tyres were more worn than I thought.:crazy:

It looks like I will need a new set of tyres in 3-4K miles which will be in two three months. I currently have Goodyear Eagle NCT5 195/65 R15's on standard MB 15" sports alloys.

What I want to know is if it is possible to go up a size or two on the same rims, I reckon 215/60 R15's will give me the same rolling circumference and not b*gger up the gearing but would this size tyre fit on my rims OK?

Also, I have been looking at different tyre brands. I am pretty happy with my current tyres but have heard good recommendations about the Goodyear F1's, my only concern is their performance in the snow/ice, would I be better going for a more 'universal' tyre such as the Goodyear Ventura or sticking with Eagle's? But then we get more wet weather than snow and ice so I am thinking the F1's would be better, and they look good.;)

Remember I only have a C180 so I don't get the opportunity to burn rubber very often or push my tyres to their limit, I want something with good wet and dry performance, quiet running, reasonably hard wearing and around the £50-£70 mark.

Jimmy,

I think you should be fine increasing to a 215, but any repuatable tyre dealer will confirm this.

I have F1's on my C220, and they rock! They made a massive difference to the way the car handles in the wet and dry. After I had it chipped the ESP light would flash in every gear. I bought bigger wheels, and fitted 225/50 16's and that fixed the problem!

However I had a nasty experience last week, at about 15Mph on ice my car started performing its own rendition of Swan Lake. This was very un-nerving, but as luck would have it I didnt touch the kerb (or roll down an enbankment).

I dont think winter tyres would have helped on ice tho, amybe in snow??

Having had my tyres shifted at my recent service, I now have my most worn tyres (about 4mm) on the rear, so I'll be needing a pair soon too.

I upsized my tryes on my BMW from 195/65/14 to 205/60/14's after the tyre dealer I used told me I could.

I was very pleased with the ride etc, but the only thing I would check is that you don't end up with a odd size.

Admitedly hindered because they were only 14", but my tyre size ended up and extremly uncommon one, only used on the rear of MKII MR2's by maufacturers and hence sourcing tyres was difficult.

Somethign to bear in mind, as once you have changed all four, it's hard to go back (not like swapping brands, when you can alter 2 at a time if you are unsatisfied).

I've got Eagle F1's on the back of my car after I read a few reports and tests, they were consistently good performers. The car certainly feels better for it, the previous rubber was Continental super contact.

The front is shod on Michelin Pilot HX.

I used to upsize tyres on my old Peugeot 504, went from 165 width up to 185 width on 14" diameter. The car felt much steadier. I've not really done this on either of the MB's that I've owned.

S.

I also run F1's on my C220, on the front, and I also had a nasty shock this morning.

My car had a puncture on the front o/side last week. I noticed it as soon as I reversed out of my space at work while going out to lunch. I put on the spare, and took the wheel to the tyre fitters round the corner, who said a repair should be no problem, so I left the wheel with them and returned after work, and they refitted the wheel.

Whilst washing the car this morning, I noticed that the same front tyre was low, and with water on the wheel, bubbles were appearing on the edge of the rim.

I decided immediately to take the car to the tyre fitters again (luckly them have another depot just round the corner from my home) who said thy could just take the tyre off and refit, making sure it was all clean etc.

However, on removing the tyre, they found that an inner lower piece of the sidewall that sits behind the rim was badly damaged, torn in fact, and said it could have only happened whilst removing / fitting the tyre. So basically it is kn@ckered.

If it had been my steels or my wife's car I would'nt have minded, but I am running 18" alloys, and it was a Goodyear F1 225/40 x 18. Not cheap!

They could'nt do anything until they spoke to the other branch manager, who's not back till Monday, which would have left me with 3 wheels on my wagon. Luckily, I had another same size tyre in my garage, so they have fitted that to get me back on the road, but it is a different make tyre, and the car feels odd now.

Luckily it was'nt a rear cos they are 235/40 x 18 continentals, and i don't have another tyre that size!

I will update you on how I get on on Monday.

Check the width of your wheels (J size) I'd recommend from personal experience, that if MB fit a 195 tyre, i would go upto a 205 tyre and not a 215...

+

215 tyre's are quite rare. the only MB to ever have them as standard was the 126 560's, AFAIK

205's are a lot more common, and you will have more pressure on the gorund so less aquaplaning ;)

Originally posted by V12
Check the width of your wheels (J size) I'd recommend from personal experience, that if MB fit a 195 tyre, i would go upto a 205 tyre and not a 215...

+

215 tyre's are quite rare. the only MB to ever have them as standard was the 126 560's, AFAIK

205's are a lot more common, and you will have more pressure on the gorund so less aquaplaning ;)

I agree except that to keep the gearing the same as 195/65's I would need to goto 215/60's. Goodyear F1's seem to be readily available in 215/60's, it would be easier to stay with 195's I just fancied something a bit wider.

Last edited:
I'm gonna need them tyres sooner than I thought, keep losing the back end.........fishtailing all over the place.......must be that chip:)

Found out I can't get F1's in my size so will probably stick with Eagle NCT5's. Dont really want to change my wheels as they are nearly new. Have been told like V12 said that I could easily go up a size to 205/65's without altering the gearing too much, about 1% faster I think.

I'll second that; Eagle F1s do make a *huge* difference. I had run ContiSportContact for three years (my CLK came with them). I read a couple of car forums, and every one of them had people raving over F1s.

Got them in October and immediately felt a huge difference in every way: ride, noise, handling, etc. The car just felt more, well, solid. Difficult to explain :confused:

Just be aware that there are two types: GSD-2 and GSD-3. I think the GSD-3 are the newer ones, but I had GSD-2 fitted (despite my order to Hi-Q, and their quotation, for GSD-3; I only noticed when I got home).

Cheers

Andrew

Originally posted by Flyer
I'll second that; Eagle F1s do make a *huge* difference. I had run ContiSportContact for three years (my CLK came with them). I read a couple of car forums, and every one of them had people raving over F1s.

Got them in October and immediately felt a huge difference in every way: ride, noise, handling, etc. The car just felt more, well, solid. Difficult to explain :confused:

Just be aware that there are two types: GSD-2 and GSD-3. I think the GSD-3 are the newer ones, but I had GSD-2 fitted (despite my order to Hi-Q, and their quotation, for GSD-3; I only noticed when I got home).

Cheers

Andrew

At the moment it depends on the size of tyre as to wether you get GDD-2 or GSD-3, guess its down to stock.

More info at http://www.goodyear.co.uk/services/tyreguide/feat_eagle_f1_gsd3.html, see notes 1) and 3)

I am getting very conflicting views about the new tyres I want. Most people here are saying go for the F1's and I know a couple of people with them on Volvo's and they also say they are the muts nutz.

The problem is with my tyre size, they do not make F1's in my current size of 195/65 R15. As paul has said going to 205/60 R15's will give me a rolling circumference of -1.1% or 7mm less than my current size. But the local tyre people that I have spoken to would not recommend changing from my current size.:confused: :crazy:

One said it would mess up the ABS and ASR sensors and instead should go for TOYO directional tyres which are much cheaper than F1's.

I reckon I might ring the stealer tomorrow and get their advice, I dont reckon -1.1% will affect anything too seriously. But then is it worth risking it to gain 10mm width and be able to fit F1's.

Incidently a set of four Goodyear Eagle NCT5's or TOYO's would be £200 and four F1's would be £250. Decisions, decisions.:crazy: :crazy:

If I change to 205's should I change my spare too?

I chaned from 195/65 R15's to 225/50 R16's last year.

I kept my spare as the steel 15, the differenc in size on NEW tyres is 3mm in diameter, which if my maths is correct is 0.97mm in radius difference, hence 1mm tread wear difference.

As your spare will always wear at a different rate to your road wheels (unless you get very keen in rotating) less than 1mm difference in "tread wear" or tyre size should not pose a problem if you are using it temporarly.

Your change equates to 1.49mm less radius, hence a new tyre is the equivalent size to one that has covered a few thousand miles. It will make no difference in any event, so long as they are all similar sizes, all the wheels should spin at the same speed for the ABS/ASR/ESP/Cruise etc. to work......Tyres wear unevenly and this causes no problems. i.e. your front tyres have 4mm tread and your rears are just legal at 2mm, in this example the rolling circumference difference front to rear is 12.5mm

I can only presume the tyre dealer either doesnt know what he is talking about, or maybe, more likely makes a better margin on TOYO's.

Incidentaly I have heard that TOYO's wear fast, but that was on scoobynet.co.uk and we all know how fast you can burn tyres in a scooby!!!! If that is true you will be back at the local tyre place credit card in hand faster, and make him happy :)

Last edited:
Black Sheep of the group!!

Thanks for all your help and comments, I have gone for Bridgestone RE720's similiar to F1's but claimed to be quieter and harder wearing.

Had them fitted this morning, went for the 205/60's. The car feels different, better in fact, much more stable and steering feels better and road noise is much less, it will be interesting to see how they wear.

I have done 180 odd miles today and they seem to be very good, reasonably priced too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom