• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

New Headlamp Bulbs

E55BOF

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLS63 SB, ML63, CLK350 'Vert, Triumph Sprint (Bike not Dolly...),
The headlamp bulbs on the '08 CLK (stock halogen H7) are very yellow, and I'd like to replace them with bulbs with a whiter light, and if possible better light output. I'm not interested in illegal LED or Xenon/HID bulbs, though.

I presume (because of the price) these 'xenon technology' are in fact 100% BS: 12V H7 55W 477 499 MEGA WHITE XENON DIPPED CAR HEADLIGHT HEADLAMP BULBS UPGRADE | eBay

These will be legal, I think, but - 180% brighter? LUCAS H7 12v 180% Brighter Upgrade Bulbs Headlight Headlamp Performance | eBay

Then of course there's the latest Osram Nightbreaker Laser OSRAM Night Breaker Laser +150% H7 Car Headlight Bulbs x2 | eBay

Or these from Ring: Ring Xenon200 H7 12v 55W Car 200% Upgrade Headlight Headlamp Bulbs Set - RX2077 | eBay 'Technology Halogen', but 'Lighting Technology Xenon'? :dk:

I am a bear of very little brain, and that brain hurts, Brian... :dk: :dk:

Help me out. Can anybody explain any of this, and does anybody have any recommendations?

Personally I'd go for the Osram Night Breaker's which are a known quantity and ignore the rest.

Be aware that all of the "brighter than standard" halogen capsules achieve the higher light output at the expense of lifetime; and anything that claims to be +200% will have a shorter life expectancy than something claiming +150%. As always, there's owt for nowt.

The Lucas should be OK too; it's a long time since Joe was 'Prince of Darkness'.

Thank you for explaining how these bulbs achieve their greater output. I still wonder what 'Technology Halogen', but 'Lighting Technology Xenon' means, though.

Philips 12V H7 Racing Vision GT200 +200%

Best Ive ever used.

Autoexpress often do a light bulb comparison test so might be a worthwhile searching for their latest one?

Thank you for that; very useful.

I'm looking for quite white light; after years of bi-xenons, most conventional halogen bulbs' light looks like that from the acetylene lamps of the 1900s now...

Last edited:
Another vote for the Osram Night breaker bulbs.

As said, the life expectancy will be lower than the standard Halogen bulb.

Having the headlamp lenses polished can also help with improving light output and beam pattern as can checking for good earth connections

What Kelvin number will be closest to plain white light, does anybody know? A blue tinge is not really to my taste; I'm too old...

I have Osram Nightbreakers (not 100% sure which variety) in my S204, dip beam are on ignition on and have been for at least a couple of years now, surprised by their longevity!

What Kelvin number will be closest to plain white light, does anybody know?
Daylight is normally taken to be in the 5500 - 6500k range, but at night something around 4700k would look white.

Thank you all; wish finding a suitable head unit (my other thread) was that straightforward...

If there is already a relay in the circuit - 100W bulbs.
Not strictly legal but doesn't scatter the light as LEDs and HIDs do, and never noticed in an MOT.
Having tried the various 'brighter', 100W bulbs are much brighter - and last.

Not strictly legal but doesn't scatter the light as LEDs and HIDs do, and never noticed in an MOT.
But you would be drawing virtually double the current and I doubt that the relay (is there one or is it switched by the SAM?) would be rated for that as a continuous load and possibly neither would the wiring?

Clearly you seem to have not had any problems but I would be wary about the extra electrical load on all components.

I cannot remember which car it was that I changed to higher wattage bulbs but the light selector switch was designed to take the load and it became rather warm! 🙄

But you would be drawing virtually double the current and I doubt that the relay (is there one or is it switched by the SAM?) would be rated for that as a continuous load and possibly neither would the wiring?

Clearly you seem to have not had any problems but I would be wary about the extra electrical load on all components.

I cannot remember which car it was that I changed to higher wattage bulbs but the light selector switch was designed to take the load and it became rather warm! 🙄
When I do it, I ensure an adequately rated relay is installed and use heavier wiring - I wouldn't trust a SAM or OEM wiring to handle it. It's aggro to do it but better than having a supposedly 'brighter' bulb fail without warning.
I should have been clearer re the required upgrades to carry the additional current.

TBH, it's the cosmetics of the light I'm more interested in; brighter would be a bonus, but the '1900s acetylene look' I don't care for at all. I don't drive a lot at night, so light output is secondary, and I can always slow down if the road is unlit...

I used to run 100W bulbs in Cibie Z-Beam headlamps "back in the day".

As you say, illegal, but never noticed in an MOT and far better than the supposedly brighter legal halogen bulbs. You do need to run upgraded, relay switched, power to them though and upgrade the earth connection too.

I used to run 100W bulbs in Cibie Z-Beam headlamps "back in the day".

As you say, illegal, but never noticed in an MOT and far better than the supposedly brighter legal halogen bulbs. You do need to run upgraded, relay switched, power to them though and upgrade the earth connection too.
And only for high-beams - never dipped.
They really are a massive improvement on 55W.

And only for high-beams - never dipped.
I used to be naughty and ran 100/80 H4's :oops:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom