New SL bi turbo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

V8 Animal

Car
SL63 AMG
I've traded in my N/A v8 for a twin turbo.
Done about 2k miles now and I've begun to realise it just doesn't sound as good as the N/A version.
Needs to be louder.
Anyone gone this route with the newer cars?

Was your N/A an M156 SL63, and was the exhaust standard?

The reason that I ask is that we have an ML with the M157 (bi-turbo) which is louder (but less tuneful) than our ML with the M156 (N/A) but both are as they left the factory. In fact our M157 at start up is much too loud.

Have a chat to Acid at MSL in Birmingham to see what his exhaust guy can do.

Torqueflow (Acid's exhaust man) know what they are doing - can get you the sound you require!

Was your N/A an M156 SL63, and was the exhaust standard?

The reason that I ask is that we have an ML with the M157 (bi-turbo) which is louder (but less tuneful) than our ML with the M156 (N/A) but both are as they left the factory. In fact our M157 at start up is much too loud.

Have a chat to Acid at MSL in Birmingham to see what his exhaust guy can do.

Standard as far as I'm aware the turbo isn't bad just needs to be more lairy like the other one.

V8 Animal said:
I've traded in my N/A v8 for a twin turbo

Don't worry we all make mistakes ;0))

First thing to look at on the M157 is a resonator delete. This gives them a deeper growl, though still subdued under normal driving, only opening up over around 1,500rpm.

After that, if it's still not loud enough, front pipes are freely available, either RADO, with or without cats, which bolt directly on to the original (somewhat restricted) turbo back manifold pipe, or Weistec which replace the lot, but no cats available.

The RADO ones would probably be the best for your car, as they can be put back to standard reasonably easily and, with the sports cats, are still fully legal but sound good. A few guys on here have had them and they open it up nicely.

As mentioned above, MSL can sort these options out for you, and advise on the best system for your particular needs.

I had Rado on my SL. They had 200 cell cats but had to be cut to fit as they were signed for left hookers. Sounded nice though and would recommend them.

First thing to look at on the M157 is a resonator delete. This gives them a deeper growl, though still subdued under normal driving, only opening up over around 1,500rpm.

After that, if it's still not loud enough, front pipes are freely available, either RADO, with or without cats, which bolt directly on to the original (somewhat restricted) turbo back manifold pipe, or Weistec which replace the lot, but no cats available.

The RADO ones would probably be the best for your car, as they can be put back to standard reasonably easily and, with the sports cats, are still fully legal but sound good. A few guys on here have had them and they open it up nicely.

As mentioned above, MSL can sort these options out for you, and advise on the best system for your particular needs.

RADO does not make downpipes for the SL63 so you probably got them for a different car and had them modified to fit which is a pretty easy task. They now have a 4 piece downpipes instead of a 2-piece down pipe and they ship it to anywhere in the world with free shipping. It is all done under the World Motorsports banner.

E63 DOWNPIPE

RADO does not make downpipes for the SL63 so you probably got them for a different car and had them modified to fit which is a pretty easy task. They now have a 4 piece downpipes instead of a 2-piece down pipe and they ship it to anywhere in the world with free shipping. It is all done under the World Motorsports banner.

E63 DOWNPIPE

Are you saying World Motorsports/Kooks are RADO?

Actually the car is beginning to sound better as i put more miles on her. Sounds odd I know.

I've traded in my N/A v8 for a twin turbo.
Done about 2k miles now and I've begun to realise it just doesn't sound as good as the N/A version.
Needs to be louder.
Anyone gone this route with the newer cars?
I agree it all going the wrong way

Actually the car is beginning to sound better as i put more miles on her. Sounds odd I know.

Standard for new cars, the pipe/wadding/perforated tubes coke up after time and get louder. Same happened with my new E63.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom