Newbie Help please 200 SLK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SLKicy

Car
Porsche
My wife and I have always loved classic Merc's and I'm in a position ( at long flipping ) last to buy her a car ( of her dreams and in truth deserves ) which I hope will last for years as Mercs " normally" do. I know truck loads about Porsche but nothing about Mercedes other than my 2006 C Class Petrol gave up the ghost with 80K miles on it through failied teeth failure on the chain drive which was game over. I couldn't believe it and I looked after it impecably. So before I buy her the retirement car of her dreams i'd really appreciate your help to know please if I am going the wrong way. I'm wary of buying a Mercedes now so I thought I'd ask if these engines are standard Merc bullet proof as they used to be or indeed pups. She doesn't need a big engine but wants petrol.

Auto Trader logo

Something like this. The 200 Blue efficency model low miler that I hope would last for years auto only.

I'd like the W107 but for what we need it for something like this would be great. I'm not an expert so grateful for you honest and impartial views please.

Thank you in advance.

Paul

I don’t know much about the mb petrol engine , but to keep long term some of the big diesels would definitely last .
So unless you are definitely stuck on petrol you should keep your options open .

Petrol is the way to go for low mileage to avoid DPF issues. I think you will be ok, I bought my daughter an R171 2010 SLK 4 years ago, to my dismay she only had it serviced once, even the low oil warning light came on but the only issues she had was a replacement battery and 3rd brake light!

I nag her monthly but she refuses to spend money on a service and had the cheek to label the car unreliable because the battery needed replacing at 6 years old!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

THE ENGINE WILL BE THE
DE18LA (M271Evo, 271.8XX)
This is the last version of M271 engine family. Dimensions are the same as E18ML and DE18ML, but the supercharger has been replaced with a turbocharger; like the DE18ML it uses the CGI (Stratified Charged Gasoline Injection) gasoline direct injection. Output ranges from 156 PS (115 kW; 154 hp) at 5200 rpm to 204 PS (150 kW; 201 hp) at 5500 rpm.

The CGI engines also use a slightly different design of timing chain [ toothed chain] for the greater injection timing accuracy required.
The engine was replaced in later models with the M274
SEE
Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class (R172) - Wikipedia

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom