• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Newbie I have really messed up! E350cdi E207 2009 - EGR replacement coolant leak.

gmacalex

Car
Mercedes E350 Cdi Coupe 2008/9
So I have let my new found confidence get the better of me. The car EML light came on after a fairly short drive, got home and my AP200 reader suggest EGR issue. I looked through these forums, and decides that I could take it off to have a look. It was indeed very coked, cleaned it and put it back, I couldn't get the bolt to go really tight, (more later) but the code would not clear and car remained in limp mode. So in haste and with budget constraints I bought an EGR from amazon not branded (I know) but price point and immediacy of delivery swayed me. It did not come with a new gasket. Found out tonight that the bolts were not the issue it seems I stripped the housing, so using narrower bolts with nuts and much grief I got the new EGR on and connected, I had disconnected the battery before doing this. I took the car for a short drive, seemed perkier more responsive and out of limp mode but still a bit chuggy for want of better phrase, however the issue after the short drive and checking the EGR was the coolant coming out near the bolt closest to engine, I tried a further tighten but it was still leaking.
A little bit of knowledge when dining is a dangerous thing. Would it be possible to use some gasket sealant? or is that a really bad idea. The gasket seems in good shape. Does the car take a while to reset itself after battery disconnection?

Thank you, just when I think I am getting one top of this car its giving me a swift kick in the inappropriates.

Any advice gratefully received. Image of gasket below

Attachments

• ORYGINALNA-USZCZELKA-ZAWORU-EGR-MERCEDES-OM642.jpeg
    ORYGINALNA-USZCZELKA-ZAWORU-EGR-MERCEDES-OM642.jpeg
    245.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
You can’t reuse the gaskets successfully. They have a ridge that compresses as it’s tightened upon. A new one should fix you

You can’t reuse the gaskets successfully. They have a ridge that compresses as it’s tightened upon. A new one should fix you
Thanks for replying, car has been off the road more than on it since I got it, Will truly and get a gasket quickly.

As JW said, gaskets are not re-usable.

, so using narrower bolts with nuts
If there's room enough, try and run a drill through the stripped thread so the intended bolt (with nut) size can be used. Not essential that you do, but better if you can.

Thank you replies, I have managed to stop the leak of coolant from the EGR gasket, and the car seems ok to drive, however I now need to top up coolant. When parking up I ran my AP200 tool and it through up the code 14CF00, 'Positive control deviation during exhaust gas recirculation control is to high' . Could this be due to lack of coolant, or is my new ego valve a dud? Really losing any faith I had left in what was a bit of dream car for me.

Thank you replies, I have managed to stop the leak of coolant from the EGR gasket, and the car seems ok to drive, however I now need to top up coolant.
Airlocks aren't uncommon after the coolant system has been opened. As they clear, additional coolant is required. All perfectly normal and usually self resolving but can be hurried along if there's a high point in the vicinity that can be opened to vent to atmosphere.
When parking up I ran my AP200 tool and it through up the code 14CF00, 'Positive control deviation during exhaust gas recirculation control is to high' . Could this be due to lack of coolant, or is my new ego valve a dud? Really losing any faith I had left in what was a bit of dream car for me.
I don't know - but don't think coolant level/airlock is the issue. Could it be the effectiveness of the new found cleanliness? Is it reconfigurable?

Airlocks aren't uncommon after the coolant system has been opened. As they clear, additional coolant is required. All perfectly normal and usually self resolving but can be hurried along if there's a high point in the vicinity that can be opened to vent to atmosphere.

I don't know - but don't think coolant level/airlock is the issue. Could it be the effectiveness of the new found cleanliness? Is it reconfigurable?
Thanks for the information, will top up the coolant this afternoon, no idea if egr is reconfigurable, perhaps once it has coolant and. I drive her calmly for half hour so it will rectify.

Thanks for the information, will top up the coolant this afternoon,
Do that - and keep checking it after each lengthy drive. When it no longer needs topping up, consider airlocks to have gone.
no idea if egr is reconfigurable, perhaps once it has coolant and. I drive her calmly for half hour so it will rectify.
Maybe - but probably not. There's a few here who have cleaned out their EGR valves - they will be better able to advise. Have a look in this section of the forum for their threads on the subject.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom