• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

No more MOT cerificates

fabes

MB Enthusiast
Car
SLK55 & E400 Coupe
Don't know if anyone has posted this previously but no paper copy by default soon
MOT paperless

Looks like you can pay to have them, or indeed just print off the website (which we all use anyway to check history) but the era of ring binders of paperwork comes a step closer to becoming a thing of the past.

Edit - note to self need to check title schpellyn before pressing the button

I guess it’s literally a waste of paper - I mean why do we need them at all?

It’s just a habit that you keep them I guess - pointless these days though :)

Not sure it’s quite the same, but I think I’ve seen reported that the number of untaxed vehicles shot up since the tax disc was done away with?
That is no surprise really. ANPR cameras can pick up a lot, but the traffic wardens had a field day when discs were displayed.
But the loss of revenue is made up by the huge rip off of not being able to pass on the road tax to a new owner on selling your car. Or buying one near the end of the month and having to tax it from the first day of that month.

There have not been reàl MOT certificates since 2018 anyway!
1000007490.jpg

... and "proper" ones stopped in 2006!
1000007489.jpg

A couple of times, when I was young and stupid, I soaked the biro off a couple of these with brake fluid to change it to my own car......happy days!

[QUOTE="fabes, post: 3389940, member:

Looks like you can pay to have them, or indeed just print off the website (which we all use anyway to check history) but the era of ring binders of paperwork comes a step closer to becoming a thing of the past.
[/QUOTE]

That's a shame, I like me ring binders full of history. 🙂

I agree it's a shame, and I will continue to print them off and add them to my ring binder file, it's made a massive difference the last few times I've sold a second hand car, especially privately!

There have not been reàl MOT certificates since 2018 anyway!
View attachment 156275

... and "proper" ones stopped in 2006!
View attachment 156276

A couple of times, when I was young and stupid, I soaked the biro off a couple of these with brake fluid to change it to my own car......happy days!

Indeed, it is no longer a 'certificate'... it's just a piece of A4 paper printed in a laser printer.

Even Mercedes-Benz don’t do paper service history anymore - the service ‘book’ has been digital for years.

Trade your car in and the receipts will all be binned anyway.

I agree it’s nice to have paper records for nostalgic reasons - and if you’re selling an older car the chances are the buyer will be older too and hence more likely to spend longer looking at the ring binder of history rather than noticing the rust underneath or that oil leak or whatever ;-)

It’s just moving with the times - same as going away form paper bank statements or cheques or whatever :)

I agree it's a shame, and I will continue to print them off and add them to my ring binder file, it's made a massive difference the last few times I've sold a second hand car, especially privately!
True, used car dealer Matt (High Peak Autos) on his YouTube channel confirms this, even for cars he buys for his forecourt.

Pretty much every day I'm shredding the paper history for some caravan or the other....Id rather not but Id rather not be fined either....max fine is up to £17.5 million or 4% of your annual turnover, whichever is higher....no thanks.

Pretty much every day I'm shredding the paper history for some caravan or the other....Id rather not but Id rather not be fined either....max fine is up to £17.5 million or 4% of your annual turnover, whichever is higher....no thanks.
Just interested but how does the law stand on just removing the previous owner details? Ie marker pen or cutting them out? I'm not all that au fait on gdpr regs.

Just interested but how does the law stand on just removing the previous owner details? Ie marker pen or cutting them out? I'm not all that au fait on gdpr regs.

When I've bought cars in the past, on occasion paperwork was supplied with the name and address redacted, but increasingly second hand car dealers simply provide no paperwork with the car, it's a safer bet for them then to do so and thus ensure that their employees are not inadvertently exposing the company to GDPR breach claims.

As an example, when I bought the Suzuki, the only paperwork provided was the paper service book, but on the inner cover there was a sticker label with the previous owner's name and address... I actually contacted them with some queries about the car, they were very friendly so no issue there, but I can see how under different circumstances this could have 'come back to bite' the dealer.

This is just a potential headache that they can do without. And so, no paperwork, no worries.

I had a couple of friends who insisted on keeping all their expired tax discs thru-out their lives.
A bit sad - Really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom